PDA

View Full Version : Christmas break detailing

car man257
12-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, Over break I will be doing some detailing. I am wondering what you would suggest I use on my dads 2004 Yukon XL Denali black. The paint is horrible. This thing has been repainted numerous times in different areas. Long story. But there are so many swirls, holograms etc. in the paint that I really want to work out. Or at least get most of them out. Let me know what you guys would recomend me using. I can post some pics of it once I get back home this weekend.. I am also going to be doing my Tundra which is also black and could use some work... the previous owner just out right abused the paint.. Thanks guys!

Scott

BMWWW
12-13-2006, 05:56 PM
What products do you have on hand? Give us a list, I`m sure the rest of autopia will be able to help you out!

--Gabe

firegate
12-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Will you be working by hand or machine?

car man257
12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I have the porter cable DA, so I will be doing this by machine.

The products I have are:

Meguiars heavy cut, swirl remover, show car glaze

Mothers pure gold carnuba wax

Griots Garage 1-4 polishes, best of show wax, orange polishing pads, red wax pads

Thats what I can think of right now. I am willing to order other stuff. I want to order some LC pads and some S100 or P21S.

604_Coast
12-13-2006, 09:51 PM
S100 is my favourite carnauba by far, good choice. Though I haven`t used it on black, it looks unreal on red so I`d imagine on black it`d be stellar.

car man257
12-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah I have heard good things about S100. I was talking to my dad tonight and on top of all the swirls and stuff I now get to buff out marks from a deer. He said its not bad. Mostly from antlers and stuff. No deep scratches. That truck takes so much abuse.. oh well... company car... can`t wait for the 07

BMWWW
12-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I have the porter cable DA, so I will be doing this by machine.

The products I have are:

Meguiars heavy cut, swirl remover, show car glaze

Mothers pure gold carnuba wax

Griots Garage 1-4 polishes, best of show wax, orange polishing pads, red wax pads

Thats what I can think of right now. I am willing to order other stuff. I want to order some LC pads and some S100 or P21S.

Have you tried those products on your subject?

I wouldn`t order anything else if what you have works... what were your previous results/experience with this car/combo, if any?

The order seems to be bang on, so unless you`re having problems with your results, good luck!

--Gabe

car man257
12-14-2006, 11:50 PM
I have used the products before but not really on this car. It is his company car so I have only kinda half a$$ed it... But since next year doesn`t look like we are going to be doing to much in sales he decided he is going to keep it for another year or 2 so he wants it done really well. I really want this to come out looking awesome. The truck really needs it. My dad said he would buy the products I need to do it right, so if there is like a specific system or something that woudl works awesome i will get it. And how is S100 applyed to the car? I know it is like a paste, but can i use my porter cable?