PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Questions

Less
12-13-2006, 09:05 AM
So it has become apparent that if I`m going to get serious about car care, I need to invest in some better MF towels. The 10-pack for 8.99 at AutoZone just isn`t going to cut it. So I bought this kit from AutoGeek

Cobra Microfiber Towel Combo Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/mitoco.html)

It comes with 4 of each kind of towel. I also bought some other stuff that came with some more MF`s as a free gift. So I have a total of 8 Indigo, 6 All-Purpose, and 4 Super Plush towels.

I also have 7 of the Meg`s Gold Class MF towels shown here

Product Catalogue (http://www.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/catalog.pl?cat=ENT_ACCS#6)

I`m wondering exactly which applications each towel is best for. I already have some dedicated WW towels for drying that I`m pretty happy with. I`m thinking that I`ll use the indigo towels for removing product applied with a PC. The All-Purpose yellow towels for the interior. And the super-plush for QD, Spray Wax, and final buffing. Where would the Megs towels fit in? Also, are there towels out there that are better suited for cleaning windows or will I be OK with what I have.

I intend to keep using the cheap MF`s from autozone for things like ONR washes, wheels, exterior trim, and rubber floormats.

Also, the cobra kit came with some "Micro Rejuvenator" wash formula. It appears that it goes in the washing machine. Should I clean the MF`s after each use? If it isn`t caked with product and streaking, is it ok to put it back on the shelf and use it again later (with the same product of course, no cross-contamination). I used the Megs towel once to buff off some NXT. I did the whole car with 1 towel and it probably could have gone alot further. It was amazing!

mose
12-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Do yourself a favor and get some WW MF towels from Walmart. They are "Mainstay" brand and they are in the kitchen towels section. They are white waffle weave towels are absolutely PERFECT for glass!! I use them for doorjams and hard to reach places as well. They are wonderful towels!! Can`t say enough about them!!

Less
12-13-2006, 01:28 PM
I`ve read alot about the Wal-mart towels here. However, the wal-mart where I live doesn`t seem to carry them right now. There are alot of X-mas themed towels out so I probably won`t be able to get my hands on some until after the holidays.

I have drying towels that I`m very happy with. And I don`t mind using the cheap MF`s that I have for things like door jambs.

Besides, I already have the cobra and megs towels so buying something else isn`t going to help me. I just want to make sure that I`m using them properly, matching them with the right product, and caring for them so that they last.

mose
12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Gotcha.

I usually use regular detergent but only about half of what is typically called for. I also use one of those fabric softener balls with distilled white vinegar in it. Never use fabric softener on your towels! The vinegar will do the same thing and not reduce the absorbancy of your towels. When drying I use the delicate/knit cycle and choose the "low temp" option.

Hope this helps!

Less
12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks mose, that helps.

However, I`m still unsure about the first part of my question. I have four different types of towels. They all look and feel different. I`m trying to match products to towels for best results.

As I said above. I am thinking of using the indigo towels for removing product (polish, glaze, wax) after it has been applied. The yellow all purpose towels will be for the interior seats, dash, and consoles. The light blue fluffy towels will be for QD, Spray Wax, and final buffing. The gold megs towels can be used for just about anything I think.