PDA

View Full Version : A little confused on cleaner usage

pt91
04-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Wanting to try out different products and trying different routines, I have acquired some RMG, PPCL and UPC.

My thorough routine is wash, clay, polish, LSP. I use WG and/or souveran on the black garage queen and the granite daily driver gets what ever sealant I am in the mood for. I have never used glazes or chemical cleaners and not absolutely sure where they fit in.

Help me understand the differences in these products and when to use them.

My understanding is I would use a paint cleaner INSTEAD of an abrasive polish to remove/fill very minor swirls and also to remove all products as prep for new products. Am I right?

Which of these products contains oils and/or fillers? If my paint is swirl free, is there any need for these?
Will these create any bonding issues with FMJ, Zaino or WG?
Also, is application by PC the preferred method?

CharlesW
04-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Wanting to try out different products and trying different routines, I have acquired some RMG, PPCL and UPC.

My thorough routine is wash, clay, polish, LSP. I use WG and/or souveran on the black garage queen and the granite daily driver gets what ever sealant I am in the mood for. I have never used glazes or chemical cleaners and not absolutely sure where they fit in.

Help me understand the differences in these products and when to use them.

My understanding is I would use a paint cleaner INSTEAD of an abrasive polish to remove/fill very minor swirls and also to remove all products as prep for new products. Am I right?

Which of these products contains oils and/or fillers? If my paint is swirl free, is there any need for these?
Will these create any bonding issues with FMJ, Zaino or WG?
Also, is application by PC the preferred method?
Since no one else has given you any answers, I`ll take a shot at some of your questions.

RMG: I have no idea what this is.

PPCL: Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion does have oils and fillers and would seem to be better suited for use with a wax LSP rather than a sealant. While it doesn`t remove swirls, I understand that it will hide them to some extent.

UPC: Ultimate Paint Cleaner is a very good cleaner that leaves a surface that is ready for sealant or wax. It will not hide any swirls.

The UPC is the only one of those three that I would feel comfortable in using as a prep for Zaino. If the FMJ and the WG are also sealants, then I think the UPC would still be the better prep.
Doesn`t the FMJ and the WG have a recommended cleaner/prep for use with them? I think that might be worth looking into.

Charles

pt91
04-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Tks for the reply

RMG - ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze (I should have it Monday or Tuesday).

After reading your comments I am prone to believe that the PPCl would work well before carnauba and the UPC might be better suited for use before sealant.

I have used one cleaner product before (I forgot). This was Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer. I either didn`t need this step (after IP and FPII) or didn`t notice any enhancement. I also had some trouble removing it.

CharlesW
04-17-2005, 10:16 PM
After reading your comments I am prone to believe that the PPCl would work well before carnauba and the UPC might be better suited for use before sealant.That was definitely what I was trying to say, although I think the UPC would work good with a carnauba, you wouldn`t get any of the filler/hiding capabilities of the PPCL. Since you are in the mood to try new things and the cost doesn`t seem to be a big factor, give the Klasse AIO a try for a cleaner/polish that leaves a little acrylic protection and makes a great base for a sealant or wax.
The AIO for a prep and 4 Star UPP as a LSP is my favorite combination and has been for over two years.
I have also used the AIO as a prep for S100 Carnauba with good results.

Charles