PDA

View Full Version : 38 ft. dutch star

Brian_Brice
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
This thing has never been correctly polished, whoever did try to polish it apperently didnt break the polish down completely so it left product trail all over the thing. i polished driver side today will finish tommorow.

i washed the roof down with megs apc and a brush. lots of stains didnt come off that synthetic surface.

ohc sb pad via rotary 1500rpms till i got tired and switched to pc yellow lc and oc. this stuff never ceases to amaze me how hard it is to work on, let alone when someone else has already screwed it up. i did a test section right in the middle of the sunlight so hopefully you can see what im dealing with in this pic.

http://myspace-615.vo.llnwd.net/01548/51/62/1548572615_l.jpg

i do not like using synthecs on gelcoat/fiberglass/whatever other material boats and rvs are made out of. prime was applied very thin as usual/still a pain to remove. only in spots though for some reason. i don`t like having to qd to remove an lsp but for some reason every time i work on these i have to.

It was dark when i left so i will have a better full pic tommorow.

http://myspace-447.vo.llnwd.net/01548/74/44/1548564447_l.jpg

GlossyTundra
12-11-2006, 08:57 PM
god I hate working on fiberglass too. It aggrevates the hell out of me.

Brian_Brice
12-11-2006, 09:20 PM
i didn`t charge enough either, you would think i would have learned my lesson. two step polish prime 845 im charging him 500 dollars. Can`t stay in business at that price but i kinda wanted to do it when i first saw it.

Scottwax
12-12-2006, 12:20 AM
The only RV/bus I do is the strip club owner`s 45` Newell Motor Coach. Sits in a warehouse 95% of the time so no oxidation. Other than that, I just don`t have the time to carve out of a week to do one anymore. Not that I particularly enjoyed polishing and waxing them in the first place.

Definitely waiting on the after pics now. :)

Brian_Brice
12-12-2006, 06:39 PM
I brought my camera and left my card in the computer. the owner is sending me pics via email and ill post them. a few oxidized spots on the side i did yesterday popped up again:nixweiss . i gave it a ipa wipedown and repolished. ohc via rotary and cutting pad work wonders on that thirsty stuff.

Scott, i am going to do some serious pricing rearranging before doing another one. My shoulders feel like i was the one blocking for LT 29 times.

Envious Eric
12-13-2006, 03:16 AM
price per foot....

my rv pricing is 5 - 10 - 18 - 23/ft

wash

wash wax

wash polish wax

wash compound glaze wax

Envious Eric
12-13-2006, 03:19 AM
took my friend and I one hour to wash the top, sides, front, back, wheels, tires on a 37` - thats about 185 for a wash - so two hours alone = 92.50/hr - and then the polishing part started in and it took me 15 hours to polish and wax it in two steps making my hourly drop to 35/hr

Brian_Brice
12-13-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah i charged him by the hour, he basically wanted no more than 15 hours put into it knowing that would put him right around 500. it took me around ten total hours of polishing. i primed it then topped most of it with aw due to time being an issue.

Dan
12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
I can`t imagine doing something that big, I might be tempted to rent a floor type rotary buffer :D