PDA

View Full Version : Long Haul.... Am I the only one that....?

Pages : [1] 2

AlexRuiz
12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
thinks their products are mediocre at best?

I bought a sampler pack at a "local" big lots thanks to the decent comments about these products.

So far, I am glad I only spent $4 on the sampler pack:

Tire shine: Above mediocre. Decent smell for a tire shine, but as others have already mentioned, it will stain....... :bolt

Looked decent, but if shopping retail mothers FX will do a better job, and not even comparable to the humble turtle wax platinum tire shine, which is the best OTC for shiny tires.

Truck gloss: Mediocre, but keep in mind that my 2 main quick detailers are FK1 425 and one grand show off, so this product didn`t have an easy reference panel. FK1 is more reflective and way slicker, 1GSO is quite glossier with much more lubrication. Not bad, but there are already many competent quick detailers at the retail shelves..... go online and the possibilities get endless.

Truck polish / wax: Below mediocre. Looks nice, no denial, but removal is not easy at all, cleaning power is too mild for a "heavy duty truckish" polish wax.... ahh, and slickness, or better put, lack of... it is barely slicker than just washed. I was expecting oxidation eating cleaning power, tough slick shell.... Granted, it looks better than I expected, but everything else is below average in my eyes. I personally find the humble meguiars or mothers cleaner waxes better. Does it really last 3 months?

Am I doing it wrong? Are they maybe too old, and shelf life is short? Tell me your comments.

Alex

Setec Astronomy
12-11-2006, 02:38 PM
I really have only used the tire shine out of the stuff I bought at Big Lots (degreaser, QD, and tire shine). I thought it was pretty darn good for $3 a bottle...but that`s at $3 a bottle.

BigJimZ28
12-11-2006, 02:47 PM
lots of people think that!

why to you think they are at biglots??

I like the truck gloss at $3 a bottle

but have not tried the other stuff

twitch
12-11-2006, 03:13 PM
I tried the TireShine and hated it. I am pretty sure it stained my wheels which took some pretty decent cleaning to remove the marks.

I was also not impressed by the truck polish/wax. I too was expecting a better cleaner.

The degreaser is a nice product. I find it works really well on tires and even diluted works well on wheels.

I also like the truck gloss. The price is great for a QD and works well as a clay lube.

BigAl3
12-11-2006, 03:15 PM
my fave product from them (bought a few bottles) is the bug degreaser. it works really well, and i haven`t had any problems with it...

see_otter
12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
The two products that I found worthwhile were the TruckGloss and the Degreaser/ Bug remover. I took a day and made a road trip and wiped all of my area Big Lots stores clean! In my opinion the Truck Gloss looks nice plus works great for claying because it is so cheap ($3.00 for 32oz!). I use it on the wifes car after every wash... no complaints! If you havent tried the degreaser /bug remover, please do, it is one of the best products I have used!

-Jeremy

sspeer
12-11-2006, 03:24 PM
In general, I see them as about equal to the Megs GC/NXT level..or as I like to think `OTC+`

Of their products, I like the Truck Gloss, Bug Remover and the Tire Seal best.. it`s not necessarily the bees knees, but for $3 a bottle ..a darn good deal.

I picked up some Metal Polish at a Truck Stop and it was OK, but I paid $20+ for it..I like the NXT Polysh better for small jobs..but if I was working on big items such as trailers, then the liquid would likely win out

Car Wash was OK...not bad, but nothing to make me switch from GC/NXT

BigAl3
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
If you havent tried the degreaser /bug remover, please do, it is one of the best products I have used!

agreed! that`s the reason why i bought a few, as they won`t be around much longer and for a huge 28oz bottle for $3, you can`t go wrong. it`s the best bug/tar degreaser i have ever used.

Dan
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I hated the tire stuff. Looked like water on the tires I tried it on, but never dried.

The wax is great for wheels. Just a nice mild cleaner and it seems to hold up well. Shine is great IMO for an all in one, good depth too.

The QD is a good cleaner with an OK shine. Great for bird bombs. I feel its superior to Meguiars QD but not quite on the level of Z6.

BUT for their price at Big Lots, there isn`t anything that comes close, especially when you factor in the huge containers.

audicoupej
12-11-2006, 03:33 PM
The degreaser works well! I went back and bought another one. I used it to pretreat tar all over my grandfathers truck before I washed it. After washing I used the Truck polish. It was ok. I want to try with the PC and white LC pad. We`ll see how durable it is. Tire shine I didn`t really get to test as I was home visting over Thanksgiving and it rained several hours after I applied it to his truck.

tom p.
12-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I bought a bottle of the one step product, I think that`s called Polish/wax. It worked well for a one-step and the size of the bottle is quite large - - that one will be on my shelf for a long time.

I think it`s directly comparable to the other OTC cleaner-waxes.

backwoods_lex
12-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I recently put on another layer of KSG and I wasn`t too impressed with the way the truck gloss failed to remove the streaking. Last time I used mother`s QD and it came out perfect.

96snake
12-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I agree. Your reviews were one if not the main reason I tried Turtle Wax`s Platinum ultra gloss wax, Mothers FX wax, and Mothers FX tire dressing.

As for long haul stuff:

The QD lacks slickness and the tire dressing was way too matte(I now use it for wheelwells).

I never wasted my time with the polish because I was dissatisfied with the 1st 2.

Lorne

Scottwax
12-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Truck Gloss is a decent QD. Not the best, but decent. It is the same as Race Glaze`s QD, once that information got out, they changed the scent. The polish/wax is a good cleaner wax but it won`t remove much in the way of defects. Few months durability and wet shine. For the price, it would be good to use for door jams, tires and winter beaters. The degreaser is really good, the car wash isn`t.

06E90
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Agree with the other posters. I like the bug remover/degreaser for cleaning gunk and the QD is not bad at all, nothing spectacular, but a decent QD. The tire shine is awful. Did not try the wax.