PDA

View Full Version : New car coming - initial detail plan

P-nut
12-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I`m not a pro, but I`m kinda anal about my car`s appearance and I`ve got a new Porsche 911 on order. When it arrives I want to give it a full exterior detail to make sure the paint starts out perfect. My understanding is that these cars come over with rail brake dust, sea salt, and other crud on the paint when they`re delivered. I`m thinking some extensive prep will be necessary before applying an LSP. So here`s my plan, and I would like you experts to let me know what you think:

1. Wash the car with Dawn.

2. Clay the car with Zaino clay and a QD for lubricant, including the windows.

3. Wash with Dawn again.

4. Remove the wheels, clay them, then Zaino them twice with ZFX/Z-5 Pro.

5. While the wheels are off, clean the calipers and wheel wells.

6. Zaino the calipers.

6. Dress the tires with Zaino tire dressing..

7. Seal the body paint with ZFX/Z-5 Pro (it`s dark grey metallic).

8. Apply Z-8, then repeat step 6, then apply Z-8 again.

9. Use a QD on the windows. I like Prima Clarity but am open to suggestions.

I know many of you prefer other stuff to Zaino, but I`m kinda set on it. I`m more interested in a critique of my procedure. Should I include a polish before the LSP? :buffing:

David703
12-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Congrats on the new 911. I can`t comment because I`ve never used Zaino, However, I never wash after claying.

firegate
12-10-2006, 03:09 PM
If you`re set on using dawn, I`d only use it for the initial wash, and not for an after-clay wash (if that`s necessary).

BMW335i
12-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Why would you use dawn...it`s made for dishes, not paint...

Dan
12-10-2006, 06:15 PM
First and foremost, get in writing that the dealer will not wash or touch any painted surface of the car except the door handles. That will save you from having to polish out their mistakes. You plan looks ok, but the dawn isn`t necessary as others have mentioned. If you have a PC, I would even hit the paint with a polishing pad and some ZPC to get even more pop out of the paint. As good as factory paint is, ZPC will make it even better and will remove any light marring the claying could have left.

P-nut
12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys. I figured regular shampoo wouldn`t be strong enough to get the gunk off, but maybe it is.

STG
12-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Here`s an idea:

Inspect the car before formulating a detailing plan.

(Dawn??????:LOLOL)

STG
12-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Here`s an idea:

Inspect the car before formulating a detailing plan.

(Dawn??????:LOLOL)

Seriously, I`ve always thought Zaino`s process was designed specifically to impart some mystical component to the Zaino system. Washing with Dawn is part of this nonsense.

silvergray
12-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Your plan sounds great. I would switch step three from Dawn to Zaino Wash.

I washed my BMW with Dawn before doing the Zaino process, no ill effects. Sal said he recommends it to strip old wax and contaminants off the paint.

imported_JoshVette
12-11-2006, 02:38 PM
I agree, no need to dawn wash twice.

Also I would suggest dressing the tires before you wash it so some of the excess rinses off and it won`t sling. Otherwise it will sling if you don`t put it on very very lightly.

When drying try using a leaf blower instead of chamie or MF towels and just touch up with MF towels what leaf blower doesn`t get well. This is a big key along with clean water and wash mits to keeping it swirl free.

Good luck.

CleanGSR
12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Definately dress the trim with your choice of product too. The dawn will want to dry out the rubber trim too. Maybe not significantly, but better to be safe and protect it than sorry you didn`t.

antidote11
12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Ditch the Dawn and use some Meguiars Gold Class. :chuckle: