PDA

View Full Version : Budget/Limited Interval Waxing

Pages : [1] 2

VroooomCrash
12-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I just picked up a black 2005 Focus. I am in NY. Back home I have a 7424 w/ an assortment of pades, MF towells, Zaino line, Klasse AIO/SG, and some other stuff. My question is should I try to use some of that stuff? I have limited space so the 7424 might now be worth it... Plus my access to garages with power sockets may be limited, as is my free time. I also have a rather limited budget (~200 month after all is said and done) due to being a student. Any ideas?

Envious Eric
12-10-2006, 02:00 PM
huh? what was your question?

VroooomCrash
12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
basically... what should I do to give my black car the best long lasting shine against NY winter for the best bang for the buck.

2.5RS
12-10-2006, 02:15 PM
So you already have those products at home, but being away at school have no access to them correct? If it was me, I`d probably just go out an get a OTC clay kit and some Collinite 476s. A few Microfiber towels and that would be the easiest/cheapest way to get through the winter until you get home and can clean it up how you want it. That is of course, assuming I understand the situation correctly.

My .02

- Andrew

Accumulator
12-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I just picked up a black 2005 Focus. I am in NY. Back home I have ...[lotsa] stuff. My question is should I try to use some of that stuff?

You gonna be home for the Holidays? If so I`d just wait and do it then. Otherwise I`d have somebody send the AIO (or go buy a cleaner wax) and top that with Collinite. Collinite is cheap and you can spend the rest of the $ on MFs, wash supplies, and trips through the local touchless.

imported_paradigm
12-10-2006, 04:11 PM
i`m with everyone above...on a tight budget i would:

1. wash (duragloss CCW is an excellent cheap option)

2. clay (Clay Magic or similar)

3. Collinite (476 or 845...can`t lose either way)

4. MF towels ...get the Vroom brand at Target...decent quality and readily available

the above will provide great durability and definitely hold you over until you can get a full detail in at some point.

imported_MCA
12-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I just picked up a black 2005 Focus. I am in NY. Back home I have a 7424 w/ an assortment of pades, MF towells, Zaino line, Klasse AIO/SG, and some other stuff.

You just mentioned that you already have Zaino and Klasse - 2 of the most durable products available. Apply a couple layers of either system and call it a day...you should be good for at 4 least months (6 months being reachable) AND you are not out of any cash. IMO, both of these systems look great and last a long time (arguably longer than Collinite).

justin30513
12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
i`m with everyone above...on a tight budget i would:

1. wash (duragloss CCW is an excellent cheap option)

2. clay (Clay Magic or similar)

3. Collinite (476 or 845...can`t lose either way)

4. MF towels ...get the Vroom brand at Target...decent quality and readily available

the above will provide great durability and definitely hold you over until you can get a full detail in at some point.

Very good suggestions. You can find 845 locally at autozone as well as a meguiars clay kit. Gold Class car wash or NXT are two of the best washes for the dollar.

velobard
12-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Ditto on the Colinite. After that, decide if you can afford touchless washes, or if you`re willing to do ONR or QEW yourself during the winter without a garage, and invest in the one you decide. I know touchless washes can add up on a tight budget. I can afford touchless but they don`t do the job as well, so I use ONR year-round. For cheap MFs, if you have access to a Sams Club or Costco pick up a 25 pack of MFs for $11 or so.

Oh yeah, you said you already have Zaino. Skip the Colinite and go straight to that. If you really want to have something on there until you can get to your Zaino, just pick up something cheap at Walmart to get buy, but you`ll probably be fine until the holidays if you won`t be able to get to your Zaino til then. A wool wash mitt from WalMart or somewhere cheap is a worthy investment.

Dan
12-10-2006, 06:10 PM
My suggestion if you are going out and buying:

QEW $10

Clay Magic Kit $10

ColorX $8

Collinite 845 IW $12

Microfiber Bulk Pack from Costco $10

You will have great bang for the buck with that combo.

VroooomCrash
12-10-2006, 06:20 PM
I will be home (WA) for Christmas. It`s a matter of a: figuring out where my parents have stashed everything...and b: figuring out how to get it back here (NY) afterwards. I can spend some cash...but it`s a matter of how much... It`s a matter of what product I want to use, without having to get a whole $100+ system. I have pakshak MFs and all that from when I used to make good $$ :-p So it`s a matter of what to do...maybe just klasse or zaino? on black?

VroooomCrash
12-10-2006, 07:49 PM
It looks like I will have access to a garage (with a lift!!!) from time to time (rental)...just without hoses. The area I am inexperienced with is quick detail..as I usually just washed the whole car anytime anything was dirty :-p So any tips on what "system" might work best would be appreciated as far as care goes. I`ve never been a fan of many touchless places since their soaps tend to be caustic. It`s a focus...so I`m not expecting concours quality all the time, but I can`t stand dirty cars.

Also if anyone has any tips on where to buy stuff for cheap, it`d be appreciated. I know I will probably need some back to black type stuff or something.

Envious Eric
12-10-2006, 08:16 PM
why not buy a little to get you by for now and later.....but for the meantime, ship all your items over to NY...might be worth it so you dont have to buy more products..10lbs was going to cost me 20bucks to ship to IL, so NY might have been about 30 or so....much cheaper than buying all new items if you already have them...just send them the 2-3 days before you leave on the plane and it should arrive 1-2 days later

Rockfish66
12-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I`m no detailing expert, but:

1) The least expensive stuff is the stuff you already have! I would try to hold out until you can get the products you already own.

2) If you needed to buy something to "get you by" I`ve seen a lot of good reviews of DuraGloss products on this site. I`d pick up some DG stuff at NAPA or CarQuest, and some cheap MF`s at Target, and you`d be out probably less than $30....

Accumulator
12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
VroooomCrash- I dunno if it`s too reasonable to think you`d get the used black car good enough for Klasse/Zaino, or that you`ll be able to *keep* it that nice. The way waxes hide flaws better makes them sound like the way I`d go in this case.

I`ve never had any problems with touchless places, other than the inherent shortcomings (never get it quite clean enough for mechanical drying-you`ll rub dirt into the finish and mar it- so you have to rely on their forced-air). Collinite holds up well to the stuff they use and its "self-cleaning" nature is a good match for touchless washes, especially if you don`t let it get too dirty between washes.