PDA

View Full Version : I`m sick of all the FREAKIN` acronyms

Pages : [1] 2

Ghaleon0721
12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Here`s how I detail a car, HTH

First I use a WM and some #62 to wash the car. By the way, I use some A2Z that I bought at AZ to clean the rims. Then I dry with a UDT and some WW MF`s. The whole car gets hit with a CB (I like CM CB`s) lubed with some QD. That tree sap can be a PITA, so I use EFTR for real stubborn spots.

I used to use a Craftsman ROB to polish, but I think a PC is much better IMHO. I use the orange LC pad and some OP (its the best MP IMO). When the polish dries I buff it off with a CBT but you can use any good MF that you have. If the swirls aren`t too bad though, I`ll use some AIO (ISO some FCC that is in between those two). Then I apply some KSG, it`s my favorite HG because it lasts for months (YMMV).

I`ll stop mid-way through the day and have a PBJ and some H20

AFAIK the KSG is enough, but for real shine I use some PS applied by PC with LC blue pads. Sometimes I`ll use HTYW, that produces some ARO. IIRC you can also get some ARO with NXT.

Then I add the finishing touches by using some BA on the trim, IG on the winows, then some #38 applied with a TS on the tires. . About this time my neighbor will say "Hey is my car next?" and that will put me ROTFLMAO

In between washes I`ll use a CCD to clean the car off and once winter comes I`ll be using strictly ONR washes in the garage.

Lastly I`ll whip out the DC so I can show the guys on the forum. PM me!

If you read that and didn`t have to look anything up, you`re weird. But for those of you who got about 3/4`s of them and use them regularly, you`re jerks. Because the rest of us have to keep looking stuff up whenever we read a post and it`s getting annoying.

imported_DieselMDX
12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
lol i know some of them but deff not all of them, but i think there is a thread with all the meanings of the acronyms

Ghaleon0721
12-09-2006, 06:23 PM
IIRC, it`s not that hard to type "If I recall correctly"

Come on guys, you`re reading a website about washing cars. And that`s cool if that`s what you`re into, but don`t try and convince me that you`re too busy to type the word "Microfiber"

Cleaning Fool
12-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Sadly, its monkey see monkey do with most folks

velobard
12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Abbreviations are very commonplace across the Internet wherever people communicate through forums or other relatively casual means. You think this forum`s bad? There are some I go to that are much worse. Some, such as "IIRC" are so common that they`re becoming pretty much universally accepted. The ones specific to auto detailing are mostly outlined in the "secret decoder ring" that`s linked from the main page and most of the time when someone asks about others they receive an answer.

I have a degree in English and have nearly finished a graduate degree, but you won`t find me griping about how folks chose to communicate around here. Frankly, English is a living language and as such, it will grow and change. Your choices are to either adapt, avoid, or volunteer to be perpetually frustrated.

Spilchy
12-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Why should I have to type "Eimann Fabrik High Intensity Cleaner" when I can type "EFHI?"

Why should I have to type "Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Protection" when I can type "MPPP?"

Why should I have to type "Meguiars Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner" when I can type "MPPC?"

The list goes on and on.

It has nothing to do with being too busy to waste effort typing out full names, but rather, like in the military or Internet jargon, acronyms are a useful way of conveying things in a concise fashion.

I happen to know nearly every acronym out there as a long time poster here. On behalf of nearly every Autopian, I (we) don`t appreciate being called a "jerk"(s) because I (we) use them in my posts

Further, if you think we`re reading a website "about washing cars," you`re obviously oblivious to what this site is about as noted by your short tenure here.

But, I can see how acronyms for some (yourself included) pose an intellectual challenge, impervious to that wasted space between your ears. But to others, like many here, its a rather mindless formula to follow. In other words, basically, you`re an idiot.

Opinions are like a$$holes; the world is filled with them and everyone`s got one. When you don`t have anything productive to say coupled with insulting people, you should learn to keep your pie hole shut. You`re making a fool of yourself.

mcnab
12-09-2006, 06:48 PM
^^ Very well said Seth.

IF you don`t like the way we use acronyms around here, then you don`t have to stay around. I myself use them a lot because I DON`T have time to write out "Poorboys Natty`s Blue" every single time I plan on writing it. It has nothing to do with monkey see, monkey do.

Many of the senior members who have thousands of posts dont` want or need to write out the extended versions every single time so that newbies can have it easier. It`s no ones job to spoon feed you. At one point I had to look up many of them as well, guess what? I learned. Im certainly not changing my ways so that newbies can have everything spoonfed.

Consider yourself lucky to have such a vast wealth of information freely available to you There are MANY detailing professionals here that are giving you valuable information for free, and you want to complain about the way in which they give it to you? I`d say the least of your worries would be translating acronyms. :hmph:

Ghaleon0721
12-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Jesus Christ guy,

You`re taking me way too seriously. All I`m saying is that abbreviations, here or on any other site, are ridiculous

Can someone tell me what was so hard about typing "That`s Funny" that it had to be shortened to "LOL"

For those of you in a hurry, here`s the short version of my post.

JC guy

U R taking me way 2 seriously. IMHO abbreviations, here or on NE other site, R a PITA

Can some1 tell me what was such a PITA about "That`s Funny" that it had to be shortened to "LOL"

35TH LE
12-09-2006, 06:52 PM
IMHO you should educate yourself and then use them.

paul34
12-09-2006, 07:26 PM
If you have complaints about the internet as a whole, then a detailing forum isn`t the place to do it.

Did I just bother you by my use of a conjunction? Is that "ridiculous"? I don`t know if you just need the attention, but we`re here to discuss and learn more about detailing, not rant on society.

JohnZ3MC
12-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I found them frustrating at the beginning too.

Like every profession, a specialized language evolves so those within the profession can communicate quickly and efficiently.

Doctors do it, electricians do it, teachers do it, dentists do it, accountants do it, etc. Outsiders find it difficult to fathom.

Detailers and car nuts are no different. In a couple of months you`ll be facile with the acronyms too and will have forgotten about your post, so until then, bear with it, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead.

-John C.

BMWWW
12-09-2006, 07:40 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring

Now shush.

Good luck!

--Gabe

cwcad
12-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Opinions are like a$$holes; the world is filled with them and everyone`s got one. When you don`t have anything productive to say coupled with insulting people, you should learn to keep your pie hole shut. You`re making a fool of yourself.

Well said Spilchy!!

I would change only one thing. He has MADE himself a fool!!

sevenrd
12-09-2006, 08:18 PM
LMAO!

The acronyms were a PITA when I first started visiting this board. Now they`re a nice shortcut to having to spell out the name of the product.

Pennypacker
12-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I was aggravated by all the abbreviations as well at first, but once the initial learning-curve is over, it`s no big deal at all. But I admit that the first few days, I was scrolling through the history trying to figure out what the heck was being said (unfortunately, I wasn`t aware of the decoder ring back then).

Just maybe consider it an initiation of sorts? :)