PDA

View Full Version : Need a nail gun?

twopu
12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
I`m looking to install some crown molding and baseboards. I have a very small air compressor (Craftsman 3 gal. Air Compressor, 1 hp,) and I don`t know anything about nail guns. I don`t need anything special or professional but I don`t want to buy another one later on down the road. What should I look for?

fdizzle
12-08-2006, 10:48 PM
i install automotive electronics and build custom fabrications. I use a BOSTICH brand bradnailer/stapler and it has preformed flawlessly after hundreds of uses. For crown molding just about any brand will suffice, however I am not sure exactly what staple or nail length you would need . . . depends on how thick your molding is and what your tacking it into . . . probably a unit that is capeable of at least an inch and a half . . . craftsman has quality air tools at an affordable price. here is a link to a stapler and nailer combo, which also comes with staples and nails which may for for your application . .

bostich and portercable are more well known brand amoung air tools . . . but this craftsman unit has a nice price.

Sears.com (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00918174000&cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&subcat=Carpentry+Air+Tools&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1)

twopu
12-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks fdizzle!!! I`ve never installed crown molding or baseboards let alone ever used a nail gun so I have no idea whether a 18 or 16 guage is best. I just want to make sure that it`s versatile enough to deal with most home projects. Thanks again I`ll check out the Craftsman tomorrow.

zippymbr
12-09-2006, 10:19 AM
The guage refers to the thickness of the nail, the smaller the number the thicker the nail. A brad nailer is good for small trim pieces like shoe molding. for baseboard, casement and things like crown you need a finish nailer. For the price it is hard to beat Porter cable. The Stanley Bostich is nice as well. If it is only for occasional use just go but a Harbor Freight finish nailer from Central. Make sure it will shoot a 2.5 inch nail and you should be able to tackle any job you come across.

twopu
12-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks zippymbr! Would that mean that I would need to buy two nail guns if I wanted to do baseboard (brad nailer) and crown molding (finish nailer)? Are there nailers that do both?

twitch
12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I don`t know how much baseboard you have to install but have you considered renting a gun from Home Depot or a place as such. If you are only going to need it for a day or so it would be cost effective. This will be more beneficial for you as well if it does come down to you needing two separate guns...

twopu
12-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I`m going to need this for the long haul. I`m looking to fix up my house to sell and purchase my mother`s house which needs all the baseboard replaced and crownmolding installed.

kompressornsc
12-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I couldn`t find it on line, but Campbell Hausfeld has a 3 pack nail gun set. I think it had a brad nailer, finish and framing. $199. I`ve seen it at Costco & Menards. I`ve never had CH nail guns, but everything else I have had from them has been good quality.

J.J.
12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Here you go (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/tl_power_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_14392_2277730,00.html):

JJ

fdizzle
12-09-2006, 01:48 PM
those three packs are nice . . . lets you get a variety of tools to tackel anything. if your only interested in one tool, a combo nailer, stapler will give yout he most versatility, but my air tool only can accomodate a max length of 1 1/2, so there you have it. good luck . . .