PDA

View Full Version : Help: Newbie Screw Up!!

clipperfan
12-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey guys,

I think I`ve screwed up terrbily. I`ve had my black car for 3 months and have absoutely babied the paint, thnaks to the advice on the forum. The front left fender had some swirling for some reason (must have been when I was using griot QD and costco MFs).

Today they really got to me, so I looked on the shelve to see what I had. I had Meg`s mirro glaze #2 and #7. I got a little spong and applied #2. When I whiped it off, it was marred terribly. Then I used #7, and it grew even worse. Now it really hazy.

I covered it over with KSG, but now I don`t know what to do. I have this beautigul black car with perfect paint and a hazy fender.

Please help!

MoneyPit
12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Are you sure the "marring" wasn`t just in some left over reside on the surface? Number 7 can be a pain to remove if not applied just right. Do a isopropyl alcohol wipe down (50/50 with water). Then re-examine under a halogen.

What kind of mf were you using?

clipperfan
12-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I`m sure. wiped it down seveal times. They are definitely scratched. To apply the polish I used a yellow pakshak sponge, and I used their MF to remove.

Rayc777
12-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Clipperfan,

Go to wally world and get some scratch-x by meguiars, and some meguiars yellow form applicator pads. Work about a dime to penny size amount of the scratch-x hard in the surface of the paint. Continue working it into the surface. Continue working it into the surface. Continue....

Then re apply more scratch-x and do it until all the marring is gone.

Derrick

MoneyPit
12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Clipperfan (by the way, me too, Go Clipps), anyway you can grab some pics so we can see what we`re working with? There`s no logical reason why the products or process you used should inflict any sort of damage on the CC.

the other pc
12-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Was the #2 an older bottle, with the instructions "for application by rotary buffer only" on the label? The old formula needs the power of a rotary to break down the diminishing abrasives.

Like Derrick said, ScratchX should take care of it.

PC.

clipperfan
12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
H, I`ll work on getting the pics. TOPC, yes it was an older bottle. I feel like such an ***. Derrick, we dont have walmart here, but I can try another autosupply store and see if they have it.

The infinity CCs are SOOO soft.

MoneyPit
12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Clipperfan (by the way, me too, Go Clipps), anyway you can grab some pics so we can see what we`re working with? There`s no logical reason why the products or process you used should inflict any sort of damage on the CC.

I have to agree with the other pc now that I look at my bottle of number 2.... its got abrasives... perhaps you didn`t break them down properly.

Dan
12-08-2006, 01:14 PM
(must have been when I was using griot QD and costco MFs).

Please help!

I have a hard time believing that griots QD and costco towels added the swirls. You sure you weren`t QDing with lots of dirt on the paint or towel?

clipperfan
12-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Well, the car was brand new and so were the MFs. It could be that I didn`t use enough QD, but the pakshaks leave no scratches at all. It coul also be that I was buffing to hard. Now I use ONR as a QD, and it needs a lot less buffing.

BlueLibby04
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Just find some meguiars scratch-x and work it in a few times. Dont use the #2 anymore and use #7 after the scratch-x.. Then apply your choice of sealant or wax.

clipperfan
12-08-2006, 03:08 PM
What is strange is that when it`s in my garage under incandescent light, I can see the scratches as clear as day. When I drove outside (today is overcast), I can hardly see them at all.

I did get some Scratch-X and I will try it tonight at home in my garage, since I cant see the scratches when parked outside.

clipperfan
12-08-2006, 10:03 PM
well, I used the Scratch-X and it helped, but it is far from good. I guess it`s time to get a PC and some optimum polish?

the other pc
12-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Sometimes it takes a couple rounds of ScratchX. I’d give it another try or two.

Here’s a ScratchX how-to article (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516).

PC.

Accumulator
12-09-2006, 12:57 PM
What is strange is that when it`s in my garage under incandescent light, I can see the scratches as clear as day. When I drove outside (today is overcast), I can hardly see them at all.

I did get some Scratch-X and I will try it tonight at home in my garage, since I cant see the scratches when parked outside.

Ah, you`ve learned the value of incandescent lighting :D That`s how I *always* do my inspections (not with the fluorescents, not with the halogens) though sunlight can be good for some things too. So yeah, do your work and your inspections in that lighting :xyxthumbs

As mentioned, he Scratch-x might take numerous applications. Be sure to break it down all the way. Folks who know more about it than I do always warn that it will take plenty of elbow-grease.

OR you could find an autobody/paint supply place and get some of the *NEW* version of #2 or some #80.

Oh, and much as I like SpeedShine, I wouldn`t use it to QD a dirty vehicle and I`d sure CD-test those MFs to make sure they`re not to blame. Glad to hear you got some good MFs from Pakshak.