PDA

View Full Version : Shmitt and ONR ... Results

Pages : [1] 2

deadlock32
12-07-2006, 02:42 AM
I wanted to know if the ShMitt would work with ONR/QEW type products ever since the ShMitt was released. I would go though mits like every 15 washes using onr... they would discolor them, and mits in general dont have huge use lifes.

So the question:

Can you use a ShMitt for ONR

Short Answer:

NO

Long Answer:

I knew that possibilty of just pushing the dirt on the paint but I tried many combinations for doing that and none come out mar free.

My latest and final attampt I threw in as much as I could to make this system work:

It consisted of:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00products.jpg

-2 buckets

-ShMitt

-ONR

-QD

-Pad conditioner

-Pad Cleaner

-Empty Spray bottle

My final concoction was ONR in the bucket 1.5 oz per gallon with 5 sprays of QD

And 1oz in 32 oz spray bottle with 3 sprays of QD

First I conditioned the pad:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00condition.jpg

Here is the Dirty hood then roof:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00hoodbefore.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00roofbefore.jpg

So I did the standard ONR. I used a seperate bottle of solution to `pretreat` all the paint surfaces before letting the pad though them. I wiped down the car in a wavy movement because if swirls were to be created they would stick out like a sore thumb.

Here is the Roof after:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00roofafter.jpg

It looks nice... though not enough light for find swirlds.

here is the deal killer. Swirls were found all over the hood::nono

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00swirls.jpg

I added the dottel lines to show the full pattern they made.

Looks like the ShMitt will have to sit out for ONR. I made this so less of you will have to compound thoroughly come spring. the ShMitty itself is one of the best mits and if you do tradtional types of washing its perfect.

And just for kicks:

Side before

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00sidebefore.jpg

Side after:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/deadlock32/00cleanside.jpg

fdizzle
12-07-2006, 02:50 AM
interesting . . .

i used a mf wash mit with ONR before i bothered to search the subject.

Now i use a sheepskin washmit . . . works much better, traps dirt better.

i think you need a mit with a lot of nap to use onr with . . . im sure justin and scotwax will chime in on this . . .

what was your ONR dillution ratio?

thesacrifice
12-07-2006, 06:55 AM
See I dont get it.

If the Shmitt doesnt work with ONR, what does a prerinse and post rinse change to make it be a marr free miracle?

Although I would have definitely prerinsed with ONR in a pesticide sprayer on that green machine.

imported_Detailing Technology
12-07-2006, 07:31 AM
I still dont see how a Schmitt can wash any car using the regular hose method. I havent tried it, but I see it only pushing dirt all over the paint. Maybe if you are polishing after?

I think the promoters of this product have different opinions of what is a swirl. Looks like a great itdea for underbody, jambs, wheels, and wheel wells. (The yellow or white. I dont think black, most wheels are painted, why use such a harsh sponge?)I`d rather read about someone else trying it on their car, I work too hard to polish my black cars.

Mikeyc
12-07-2006, 07:53 AM
I still dont see how a Schmitt can wash any car using the regular hose method. I havent tried it, but I see it only pushing dirt all over the paint. Maybe if you are polishing after?

I think the promoters of this product have different opinions of what is a swirl. Looks like a great itdea for underbody, jambs, wheels, and wheel wells. (The yellow or white. I dont think black, most wheels are painted, why use such a harsh sponge?)I`d rather read about someone else trying it on their car, I work too hard to polish my black cars.

I have to say I really don`t think it`s fair to other Autopia members or the makers of the ShMitt for you to be pre-juding it. You`ve never used it and probably never even seen one in person, but you`ve already relegated it to jamb cleaning duty. Would you make an assesment of a polish based on a picture of the bottle? I doubt it.

I can certainly understand your skepticism though. For years all we have heard from fellow detailers is "sponges are bad!" Well, it seems they`re not so bad after all. There are members here who swear by the grout sponge and other members who use ShMitts. Also, keep in mind the ShMitt is not your typical square block of foam that a sponge is.

Anyway, deadlock, thanks for the review. I had heard from some people that ShMitts are not good for use with ONR, but I have also heard from a few people who say it works with ONR. I think I`m going to give it a shot too, because I would love to just throw away my sheepskin mitts. However, after reading your review I`ll certainly take extra precautions. Thanks again!

deadlock32
12-07-2006, 11:06 AM
See I dont get it.

If the Shmitt doesnt work with ONR, what does a prerinse and post rinse change to make it be a marr free miracle?

Although I would have definitely prerinsed with ONR in a pesticide sprayer on that green machine.

Its simple... lubrication. people skate on ice, but glass is much smoother so why not skate on glass. It is because the friction creates water which is like a surface buffer and lets you glide along. normal carwash soap creates much more lubricaiton than ONR, I think the main reason ONR works so well is that lowers the surface tension of water, and lubrication is secondary (because its still slick)

And I did pretreat, I used a 32oz spray bottle, 1.5 oz ONR, and 3 sprays of qd. I never liked the garden sprayer idea because the point for me is to leave the floor dry while still washing the car swirl free, which i`ve been doing for months. = P

nteresting . . .

i used a mf wash mit with ONR before i bothered to search the subject.

Now i use a sheepskin washmit . . . works much better, traps dirt better.

i think you need a mit with a lot of nap to use onr with . . . im sure justin and scotwax will chime in on this . . .

what was your ONR dillution ratio?

the final concoction was ONR in the bucket 1.5 oz per gallon with 5 sprays of QD

And 1oz in 32 oz spray bottle with 3 sprays of QD

(right under the pic of product)

I`ve seen the different ways to QEW and ONR and Ilike the mf way the best, but the mf mit I use is the muppethead (long strands) type which hasn`t dont me wrong for a few months.

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/67760-requested-qew-writeup-using-mfs-instead-mitts.html?highlight=qew

thesacrifice
12-07-2006, 04:55 PM
So I`m understanding that the Shmitt doesn`t hold much water? Because with my Sheepskins and ONR I feel as if I`m creating every bid of lubrication on my paint as with my foamgun.

Mikeyc
12-07-2006, 05:34 PM
The ShMitt holds tons of wash solution. I think part of the issue with ONR washing is that it doesn`t release the wash solution as quickly as a sheepskin.

This is actually a huge plus in some situations because more wash solution ends up on your car as opposed to on the ground. When I hose wash with a sheepskin I need close to 4 gallons of wash solution to wash a car. When I hose wash with a ShMitt I need half that because it drips on the ground so much less.

Juztang
12-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I`ve been wanting to get a ShMitt and try it with the ONR. Sounds like it isn`t going to work out too well.

captkirk2
12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I have had good luck with foam wash pads for regular washes in the past. There was a big blue sponge that Kmart sold that was popular with prof. detailers. I wouldnt feel comfortable using foam with onr. After using sheepskin, for me nothing is better whether onr or regular wash.

abbeysdad
12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Is the problem the pad or the process?

Seems to me if I can wipe dirt of with a towel, you should be able to do the same thing with a pad or a mitt...as long as your careful.

Now having said the above, I still prefer a waffle weave MF towel for ONR washes, but I don`t see a good reason that a sponge, foam pad, or wash mitt wouldn`t work - it`s just handled quite differently than as it would with a wet wash.

I also question the use of the pad conditioner and the Megs QD spray as I think they both negate the fairness of the ONR/ShMitt test.

deadlock32
12-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Is the problem the pad or the process?

Seems to me if I can wipe dirt of with a towel, you should be able to do the same thing with a pad or a mitt...as long as your careful.

Now having said the above, I still prefer a waffle weave MF towel for ONR washes, but I don`t see a good reason that a sponge, foam pad, or wash mitt wouldn`t work - it`s just handled quite differently than as it would with a wet wash.

I also question the use of the pad conditioner and the Megs QD spray as I think they both negate the fairness of the ONR/ShMitt test.

Well I`ve been doing the shmitt test for 3 weeks now. different body panels got hit with different processes ( only 3 different washes)

After the first 2 where met with failure, I tried to give the schmitt EVERY possible peice of help. Condition the pad so its softer before first use, the QD to add lubrication, but if you look at the pad its just not heavy enough to work well. wash mits and such work under their own weight, the shmitt holds a bunch water, but far less than if it were dripping all over the place. But the point of ONR is I should be able to do it in my garage and most garages dont have drains. I dunno, it just has different properties. I am sure some one might figure something out but until then I know what doesnt work.

I`ve been ONR`n for months and I really wanted the shmitt to work because onr is hell on my mitts.

Mikeyc
12-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I just wanted to share with you guys that I did a test of the ShMitt with a rinseless wash as well. Initially when the ShMitt came out I was very skeptical that it was a good washing tool. However, I gave it a shot and now I wouldn`t ever trade it for a sheepskin mitt. I was still pretty skeptical about using it with a rinseless wash though and the review in this thread didn`t make me feel any better. I really want to get rid of my sheepskins though. So, I thought I`d give it a try myself. Here`s how it went . . .

I washed two cars. The first was a black BMW 650i convertible which I`ve worked on before and I know it has really soft paint. The other is my Silverstone Honda S2000 which has pretty average paint softness. Neither car were quite as dirty as the car pictured earlier in the thread. There`s no salt on the roads around here as yet, but neither car had been cleaned in a few weeks. So, there was definitely dirt. I also examined each car for marring using my dual xenon light before getting started.

I used a white/yellow wash ShMitt along with 2 buckets. I put a Grit Guard in the rinse bucket to help isolate any sediment from the ShMitt. I didn`t use ONR for my soap. Instead I used DP 4-in-1 which IME offers slightly more lubricity than ONR. I used 1.5 oz of soap per gallon of water. Normally I use 1 oz per gallon but I was nervous after reading the review in this thread. I also mixed up another gallon of wash solution which I put in a pesticide sprayer. I also used the solution in the pesticide sprayer to do the wheels & tires.

First, I sprayed down the entire car with wash solution using the pesticide sprayer. Then, I very very lightly misted the whole car with Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe to try to prevent streaking and to add even more lubricity. I then washed the whole car with the ShMitt and the two bucket method. I made sure to dip the ShMitt in the buckets frequently to release any dirt picked up in the foam. After the whole car was washed. I dried the car using a Cobra Guzzler WW MF.

In the end, I experienced no noticeable marring from the washing process. I went over each car with my dual xenon light after the wash and could not find any new marring. I will say my rinse water was filthy and I had to change it several times. The ShMitt also was stained after the wash. Normally, it looks pretty much brand new after a wash. But, I`ve noticed rinseless washes tend to make your wash mitt dirty looking even if you`re using sheepskin. A run through my washing machine reduced the staining on the ShMitt noticeably. As with hose washing, the ShMitt was easy to use and didn`t drip as much. This really reduced the amount of puddles I have on my garage floor after rinseless washing. Plus, it reduced the amount of wash solution needed to wash the car.

The bottom line is . . . expect to see whatever sheepskin mitts I have left up for sale soon.

Here is a picture of the two cars. They also received a coat of Pinnacle Souveran after the wash and examination.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1209/img1496iu5.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1264/img1492lh3.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures. I was losing light fast, didn`t use my tripod, and it was a nice windy 30*F while I was taking them.

Joshua312
12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
eh - - I`ll stick to my $2 Grout Sponge from Home Depot. It works great with ONR and has greatly reduced any wash induced marring.

Louis- Thank you for your honest review and taking the time to post this!

SpoiledMan
12-11-2006, 12:31 AM
eh - - I`ll stick to my $2 Grout Sponge from Home Depot. It works great with ONR and has greatly reduced any wash induced marring.

Louis- Thank you for your honest review and taking the time to post this!

Same here bud!