PDA

View Full Version : Autogeek PC Kit - Optimum Vs Poorboys

Pages : [1] 2

2StepsAhead
12-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I am looking into getting a PC for x-mas and I really hadmy heart set on the poorboys package to start me off with but I hear conflicting reviews on some of the swirl removers (it seems 1 and 2 are good but 2.5 which comes in the kit might cause micro marring) and some people say the sealant isn`t all that...being that they`re both priced roughly the same which is best for my 06 tarmac black evo?

Working in the sun isn`t a necessity and ill obviously be working with the pc, not looking for the best of the best of the best and spending $500 but looking for something that gives the best bang for my buck for a beginner (I heard klasse sg is tough to use so I`m looking into staying as close to one product brand to avoid any bonding issues etc).

busyguy
12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
i`m also a noob, so take this with a grain of salt...

BUT, after annoying the heck out of autopia`s fine members, i ended up buying the PC for 120. Spent 100 on the edge kit( you can save by buying a cheaper kit) and purchased the products that fit my vehicle best.

imported_bigfoot
12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I am looking into getting a PC for x-mas and I really hadmy heart set on the poorboys package to start me off with but I hear conflicting reviews on some of the swirl removers (it seems 1 and 2 are good but 2.5 which comes in the kit might cause micro marring) and some people say the sealant isn`t all that...being that they`re both priced roughly the same which is best for my 06 tarmac black evo?

Working in the sun isn`t a necessity and ill obviously be working with the pc, not looking for the best of the best of the best and spending $500 but looking for something that gives the best bang for my buck for a beginner (I heard klasse sg is tough to use so I`m looking into staying as close to one product brand to avoid any bonding issues etc).

Look with Bob at www.danase.com He`s an autopia.org site sponsor and he works with Poorboys and Optimum products! The best part he has great costumer service and can work things out with you in a way nobody else would! Hope this helps...

Joey:xyxthumbs

auburnryan
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Neither kit seems to have a great sealant to use on it`s own. I liked the PB`s sealants, but never used any of the SSR`s. I wouldn`t worry about marring witha PC though, I can use compounds on my car an it`s eems to leave a smooth, clear finish.

People seems to love the Optimum Polishes, which they say don`t dust.

I`d get the Optimum kit, save the $20 to use for a good sealant of your choice.

I`ve liked my PB EX with Carnuba which just ran out (some say it doesn`t last but my hood beads from 3 months ago), but just ordered the Optimum Poli Seal to upkeep my finish an try out. Also bout the $6 Duragloss Aquawax to spray on after weekly washes.

Mitchubishievo
12-06-2006, 11:16 AM
PM sent to a fellow Evo owner...

imported_GregCavi
12-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Optimum,

Greg

Dan
12-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Unless you are asking for a kit as a present, I`d just order what you want individually. You may want to stick with a particular brand of polishes and pads, do not mix these as a noob it will cause frustration. Even using some charts of abrasiveness it can get tricky trying to figure out things between different brands.

firegate
12-06-2006, 11:31 AM
I think the Optimum polishes are a much better choice for a first-time user because they have a long working time and don`t dust like the PB polishes. Either option will work for you, but I think the Opt polishes will lessen the learning curve a little.

Pats300zx
12-06-2006, 11:34 AM
If I had to choose I would go with Optimum. You really can`t beat OP and OC. Great working time and no dusting. I always seemed to get dust with the PB polishes..:nixweiss

2StepsAhead
12-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Well that`s my thing, since I`m relatively new to detailing and going to be brand new to the PC I don`t want to start mix and matching too many products (especially ones that get mixed results) because ill never truely know what works best until I test every single combo out...so I`d like to order a decent beginners kit for a decent price that I know works together before I get discouraged because my polish is so so or my sealant hazes, wax goes dead after a week or so meanwhile spending $500 in the process lol.

I`d like to start out with the basics and branch out over time after I see how each product works out but I`d like to start out with the kit that gets better overall reviews.

I`ve read tons of back and forth over optimum and poorboys so I`m just wondering which kit might be better for a beginner on a black car with new clear coat with some minor swirling on a car that doesn`t have a garage and is my daily driver.

Sorry for the long winded posts but the more I read the more conflicting reviews on products and its confusing me lol.

auburnryan
12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
On a newer car with little defects, I`d just buy the PC (got mine cheap at lowes), a backing plate and pads - you`ll only use a polishing pad and finishing pad to apply sealant.

Get an all in one like optimum poli seal (good reveiws) which will polish and seal. Car should look great if you don`t have major defects.

Save some $$ cost should be around $140 or so.

1. Wash

2. Clay car

3. Apply Poli Seal (which contains fine polish) with polishing pad (finishing pad if no defects)

4. Wait 24 hours

5. Top with xxx if desired

6. Wash weekly and use aquawax or some Quick Detailer

7. Repeat every 3 months

I`d say that`s an easy beginners pace, and what I do now that I don`t detail my cars as much. - i.e. I`m lucky to get a wash in bi-weekly because whe have 4 cars...

My $.02

imported_j3ffff
12-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I got the Poorboys package and I have to say that I am dissappointed with it. The SSR dusts WAY too much and after a while, my whole car gets covered in the dust. It gets very annoying and I have to rewash the car after I compound it. I have not tried the Optimum line, but I would advise you to STAY AWAY from the Poorboy`s SSR line. That`s just what I think.

-Jeff

03TLS
12-06-2006, 06:36 PM
I personally like the Poorboy SSR`s. You may get some micromarring with the 2.5 but you wont even need to use 2.5 if you only have minimal marring to start with as SSR 1 will get out most swirls by itself. I havent tried the Optimum polishes but plan to order them once my SSR`s are near empty.

imported_jaobrien6
12-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I`ve got to give another vote for the Optimum products. I just tried out OP for the first time this past weekend, and I loved it. It just became my favorite polish because it`s so easy to use and gives great results. The PB polishes were never one of my favorite products, personally.

P1et
12-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I have only used the Poorboys line but can safely say that I`ve been very happy with it. I`ve done four different vehicles now and they`ve all come out looking great. Yes, it does dust, but I was after polishing