PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing Tips

Nuke33
12-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to leave some tips tricks or your technique on how to detalil my engine. Its kind of scary i dont want to mess it up! I was planing on useing a versa angle rim brush to srub with.

I know bag the alternater and rag in the intake

I have a 2000 honda civic

Should i do it with the engine running and make sure it doest bog down

What elese should i bag off other electronic connectins or just dont focus water on them?

Thanks!

BigJimZ28
12-03-2006, 10:38 AM
did you read this?

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80226-engine-cleaning-detailing.html

Accumulator
12-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Nuke33- I wouldn`t work on it with the engine running...too much moving stuff, too dangerous.

I`d have a bunch of small brushes and swabs on hand. I`d get some kind of citrus degreaser (I use P21s TAW or Hi-Temp`s engine cleaner). As long as you don`t get too crazy spraying with the hose I wouldn`t expect water to be a huge issue; I seldom even bother covering anything except maybe the ECU and the alternator but some engines are a *lot* more sensitive than others. Aluminum foil is easy to work with for covering stuff up.

Nuke33
12-03-2006, 05:15 PM
should i use an apc or a degreeser?

Mr.Concours
12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
should i use an apc or a degreeser?

Use both!

Degreaser on the oily,grubby engine parts and APC (citrus based ones are good) on the rest,firewall ect.

Best tips I can give you are,

Find a self serve wash place for doing your first ever engine clean up,your driveway will thank you and so will the Wife when you don`t spray off all the engine muck onto your property, to be walked into the house.

Get everything set up and ready before you start,spray all the surfaces and let it dwell, 2 mins or so before agitating then rinsing,pick a time when you won`t be rushed by a huge cue,early Sunday morning would be ideal.

Some old clothes might be a good idea,and a pair of rubber gloves,even eye protection,if you get some degreaser from the overspray in your eye you`ll know about it.

Find yourself a long handled decorators brush( the type thats used by house painters to get behind radiators ) probably get one from anywhere that does house paints,use in the akward places,tape around the metal ferrul; the metal bit that holds the brush to the handle so you don`t scratch anything, use junky old towels to clean under all the areas you can`t see(around hose`s, belts ect)spray onto the towel some APC then grip the hose and a rub, throw them away if you have to,sometimes I save any old socks or bath towels (which I cut up) which are going to get thrown away after this one use-very dirty job.You could also use your brush you do your wheels with,I have the AutoGlym wheel brush which I`ve found to be scratch free and nigh on impossible to wear out.When at home I fill a bucket with water to rinse the brushes with so I can periodicly clean the brushes, but you could skip that.

If you can, blow off the engine after with an airgun from an airline/compressor to get rid of any moisture,be cautious , as you CAN remove any factory stickers if your not careful (to close ),if the gun were mine I would even tape the end, incase I caught it.

If you don`t get rid everything first time you can always go back and have another go at home at a later date,if you`ve not got much time just clean one area really well,I`ve had good results with the CD2 detailier `IF` you can find some as I believe its been dicontinued.

Let us know how you get on, do some before and after pics as engine detailing is one of the most often overlooked but rewarding jobs you can do,you can see a huge improvement.

Good luck.

Mach30SiR
12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
something that will really cut that engine guk....degreaser.

Nuke33
12-03-2006, 09:16 PM
alright cant do it still spring way to cold out right now but i will take pictures i cant wait for spring to try out all my new detaling stuff! got a pc and cant use it its killing me!

Mr.Concours
12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Do the engine bay first,you don`t want to strip all your hard work off the body with a splashed APC or degreaser from the engine.

Looks like a fun project,enjoy using the PC!

sneek
12-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Nuke33- I wouldn`t work on it with the engine running...too much moving stuff, too dangerous.

I`d have a bunch of small brushes and swabs on hand. I`d get some kind of citrus degreaser (I use P21s TAW or Hi-Temp`s engine cleaner). As long as you don`t get too crazy spraying with the hose I wouldn`t expect water to be a huge issue; I seldom even bother covering anything except maybe the ECU and the alternator but some engines are a *lot* more sensitive than others. Aluminum foil is easy to work with for covering stuff up.

Agreed! In the Adams Video the guy says you musy have the engine running. :eek:

Nuke33
12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
yea thats were i got that from!

Accumulator
12-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Heh heh, seems I`m often disagreeing with the stuff in the Adam`s videos :o The one where he`s washing a car really :soscared: me, looked like an Rx for marring.

As for APC vs. degreaser, there`s not always a big difference between the two. The P21s TAW is an "APC" but it cuts through nasty grease almost as well as the other stuff.

If the rest of the vehicle is in good shape, just get some thin plastic sheeting and tape it to the inner fender surfaces. If you`re careful you should be OK. If you work with solvents like PrepSol you can do it an area at at time without without making any real mess at all (but that approach can take forever) because they evaporate and don`t require rinsing.