PDA

View Full Version : Use ScratchX before or after?

bsk_500
12-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Do i use Meguiars ScratchX before polishing or after?

BigJimZ28
12-02-2006, 07:35 PM
scratchX is a polish, what are you trying to do?

and/or sime pics

bsk_500
12-02-2006, 07:42 PM
so if I am using Deep Crystal system Polish then i do not need to use the scratchx? I am asking incase there`s a scratch on the car.

BigAl3
12-02-2006, 07:52 PM
scratchx (more aggressive than deep crystal paint cleaner, iirc) is meant for spot fixes, as it`s size is an indicator (not to say you can`t do the whole car). you`ll need to move up to something more aggressive (#80, #83, etc.. if you`re sticking with megs) if the scratchx isn`t removing your defects. are you working by hand or DA (this will play a role)?

BigAl3
12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
so if I am using Deep Crystal system Polish then i do not need to use the scratchx? I am asking incase there`s a scratch on the car.

the deep crystal polish is a pure polish that is used to add extra depth/wet shine to a car that has been properly prepped. you would use the scratchx before the deep crystal polish...

Setec Astronomy
12-02-2006, 08:03 PM
ScratchX has been reformulated to be used by PC over a large area. But back to the OP`s question, if he has known specific defects, he should use the ScratchX on those and then go over the whole car with the DC1 for a uniform appearance.

BigAl3
12-02-2006, 08:43 PM
are you working by hand or machine?

Accumulator
12-03-2006, 11:51 AM

The way everybody uses terms like "polish" differently can make this stuff confusing!

Scratch-X is a mildly abrasive polish that`ll do some correction if you put in the elbow grease. Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner is a product with *very* mild abrasives, so mild that they won`t do much, if any, correction. Deep Crystal Step #2 Polish is nonabrasive so it won`t do any correction at all, period.

SO the order is: Scratch-X on the worst scratches; DC #1 on entire vehicle; DC#2 on entire vehicle (and DC#2 is optional IMO); wax on entire vehicle.