PDA

View Full Version : I am TRAUMATIZED!!!

imported_hooked
12-02-2006, 03:15 PM
My wife volunteers for an Autism Support Group and today they held a car wash to raise money. She dragged me out there kicking and screaming to help out.

I saw many auto attrocities and I confess that I dried the cars with just purchased white towels that came in a multi-pack (so you know the quality is there!) I did bring along my psuedo-Absorber towel and ended up using that to dry to horizontal surfaces. I didn`t want to bring my WW`s in fear that they would be misused.

I could not bring myself to participate in the washing. They were using a pressure washer set at full blast and cheapie Blue Coral wash soap. At least it wasn`t generic dishwashing liquid! There were small buckets for the soap and sponges being used to clean the wheels and paint! :eek: No two-bucket method here. At least the sponges floated at the top of the water instead of sinking to the bottom of the buckets.

As I was drying the cars, I was crying on the inside as I saw the condition of a couple Mercedes and a BMW that was in serious need of polishing. Then there was the 15 year old Buick that hadn`t seen any kind of wax since the day it was purchased! The paint felt like sandpaper. I was tempted to talk to the owners to see if they wanted any extra work done, but since I`m not a pro, I didn`t have any cards made up and I felt funny trying to get business at a charity event. I was also not running the show, so I didn`t feel right telling people that they were doing everything all wrong. This proves that the majority of the people see their cars as a way to get around, not as a member of the family to be cared for!!!

Anyway, I am going to go curl up in the bed in fetal position and hug my Porter Cable now!!! :hide:

BigAl3
12-02-2006, 03:19 PM
My wife volunteers for an Autism Support Group and today they held a car wash to raise money. She dragged me out there kicking and screaming to help out.

when the old lady tells us to do something, we have no choice or we`ll never here the end of it... :o

on a serious note... be glad that you at least helped out for a good cause! :up

imported_Detailing Technology
12-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Didn`t you love it when they were throwing the wet wash sponges at each other on the baseball infield and then rubbing your black hood with that same rock and dirt filled sponge!

I passed one of those washes in my old town, I hated the town, they were spraying the hose at cars driving by in the street so they would pull in for a wash! I`d choke out a brownie and her mom for sure for that.

BigAl3
12-02-2006, 04:06 PM
My wife volunteers for an Autism Support Group and today they held a car wash to raise money.

be glad that you at least helped out for a good cause! :up

She dragged me out there kicking and screaming to help out.

when the old lady tells us to do something, we have no choice or we`ll never here the end of it... :o

imported_hooked
12-02-2006, 04:19 PM
It was mostly parents doing the washing so there wasn`t a lot of monkeying around. And the only reason I did it was because it was for a good worthy cause.

Once I was passing by my old high school and there was a car wash going on there. All the kids do was screw around. I never did that again!

Scottwax
12-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I let the Hooter`s girls wash my Accord once. Once. One time. Never again, no matter how hot they look in short shorts and bikini tops.

the other pc
12-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Note to self: get a rental, look for Hooters car wash. :drool:

PC.

Djmigs
12-03-2006, 01:36 AM
did someone say hooters:D ...

save your money on the rental, i would just let them sponge bath me but provide my tools can u say "Hooter:chuckle: Hooter"

35TH LE
12-03-2006, 02:03 AM
That mustve been hard to do... although the cause was well worth it. :up

I have a autistic younger brother.. your wife sounds like a really great person for volunteering for such a thing.

BlueLibby04
12-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Haha. I feel you pain man.. Must of been hard seeing some of those cars.. Some people just do not care about things like that. Kind like some people wear their shoes in their house? I step in alot of stuff that I do not want in my house where I walk barefoot sometimes.. To each their own though.. :wavey

chris03tl
12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
When I was younger (*a lot* younger), my junior high had a car wash fund raiser. One of my teachers husbands was running it, so everyone in her class got suckered into helping out. At that time, my dad was on his 4th vette, so I knew all about "this is how we wash the car". Front to back, top to bottom, etc.

I was like the car-wash-Nazi. I was yelling at kids washing the cars the wrong way "top to bottom, come on!!!", etc. The guy running it asked me where I learned how to wash a car *the right way*.

Ever since then, top to bottom, front to back. I sit and watch my wife try to wash her car, she gets about 20 seconds in and I "relieve" her..."dear you look tired, let me finish".

-Chris

imported_hooked
12-05-2006, 09:08 PM
All is right with the world again. I washed my own car on Sunday and I feel at ease once more. The satisfaction of a job well done is a good feeling.

As for the car wash, we did around 40 cars and netted about $300. The church where we were holding it took a cut or else it would have been more.

And to 35TH LE, thanks for the kind words. My wife is pretty amazing. She also volunteers at our daughter`s school as a mentor to an "at risk" third grader. The school has a pretty good program for autistic kids and the coordinator has asked her to substitute for some of the classes (she just received her substitute teacher certification.)

There will probably be another car wash after the holidays and I will be a little more prepared so I won`t be so traumatized!

Dan
12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
I feel your pain, once or twice a year they have a carwash across the street at the clubhouse for one reason or another. Sponges and towels on the ground + nice cars... painful to watch!