PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic paint thickness gauge

Stuff
12-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Magnetic Paint Thickness Gauge - P2700 (http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=119)

I was just looking around and found this. I have an extreme paranoia about taking too much clear coat off. I only ever use the PC. I know some of your guys will say "oh its only a PC you can’t hurt anything" Well I have started to do more and more details. I`m scared that I might run into some car that has thin clear coat or really soft stuff or something. So I was looking for a machine that if anything would give me a little mental reassurance. I looked at the electronic paint thickness gauges but they are SOO expensive. This magnetic one is $80 which I would feel a little bit more comfortable paying. But is it worth it? Are they wildly in accurate? Am I being overly paranoid? Any thoughts? Thanks!

BlueZero
12-02-2006, 11:26 AM
I just came across that same one last night and was wondering that same thing. I`m paranoid also. I only use a PC for now, but lately I`ve been trying some wet-sanding. And I`m thinking this spring I`m going to get a rotary. I just can`t imagine it would be very accurate, but who knows. I`m looking forward to seeing what people have to say about it.

the other pc
12-02-2006, 10:42 PM
They’re not at all accurate. I have one and it sort of works but it mostly convinced me that I need to break down and spring for a real electronic gauge.

If you want one they cost about half that much at Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1799&itemType=PRODUCT).

PC.

trhland
12-03-2006, 05:46 AM
when you have a panel on a car thats been repainted is the clear less think then on the factory finish? i was just wondering .be cause i have a little ding on my truck that might need to be repainted but if i do have it repainted i want the same clear amount as factory is that possible?

az57chevy
12-06-2006, 12:54 AM
They paint over the old paint and hence the magnet doesn`t "grab" as much Not a precise guide

01bluecls
12-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Check this thread out I started a while back ...

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/79517-paint-meter-thickness-gauges.html

g00dy03
12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
http://autopia.org/forum/trading-post/81793-etg-i-sale.html Pm if you have any interest

dr_detail
12-06-2006, 10:39 AM
IMO: paint gauges are more for show.

I have one that I use for high end work -- it helps in adding that visual image to the customer that this is going to be allot of work because of how thin the paint is (like the customer really knows). For real paint gauges can only alert you to the total thickness of the entire amount of paint on a surface -- how much of that total is the just the clear and how much is the primer and basecoat is undetermined. And I`ll add that in cases of a re-paints how much is under the re-painted surface. If in doubt, don`t. It`s easier to inspect the vehicle closely to determine the paints condition. Check the edges for tell tale signs of thin paint -- if there are burns, chances are the paint is thin; check for build-up of waxes in the emblems -- if it`s present, chances are good it`s been buffed before.

MorBid
12-06-2006, 11:34 AM
when you have a panel on a car thats been repainted is the clear less think then on the factory finish? i was just wondering .be cause i have a little ding on my truck that might need to be repainted but if i do have it repainted i want the same clear amount as factory is that possible?

Cars painted at the factory today are done with specialized systems some using robotics that are pre-programmed by computer to put down the paint manufacturers recommended film thickness consistently.

Painters at bodyshops can get close and you shouldn`t be able to tell where the repair was effected at all if they know they`re stuff. But are they going to stop and measure the film thickness after each coat. No. It`s all done by eye and all things being even the clear will probably be a little thicker in that area which isn`t really a bad thing.

trhland
12-06-2006, 01:59 PM
thanks. so the repaint will most likely have enough clearcote that in the future i can polish the repainted areas for a years to come with out going threw the clear?

Stuff
12-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys. I guess the magnetic gauge is out of the picture and sounds like some of the electric ones might not even be worth it. It just scares me taking off clear coat. I`m not too worried about customer cars that are new and have not had work done to them. I know there is clear coat there. The thing I`m worried more about is my car. It was my first car to polish and I never really did a good job. So I`m going to redo it come spring. I`m just worried about polishing a car over and over through the years.

MorBid
12-06-2006, 04:42 PM
thanks. so the repaint will most likely have enough clearcote that in the future i can polish the repainted areas for a years to come with out going threw the clear?

I`ve only been doing autobody work and painting for about 5 years now but I`m more than sure that you`ll get at least two coats and maybe three. That`s plenty and you`ll be able to polish it out as much as you like. All things being equal that is.

trhland
12-06-2006, 04:51 PM
thanks morbid!!:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs