PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Snow of your Vehicle

Pages : [1] 2 3

Basshog
12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
We got hit with 14" today and my truck is COVERED in snow. Temperature will not even come close to 30 for the next week. What is the best way to remove snow without scratching the paint??

metal
12-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I guess one long tedious way is to remove the top layer of snow by whatever means, then use a heat gun or blow dryer to get rid of the icy snow thats on your actual paint. I haven`t bothered touching mine yet, but thats because my engine is blown :)

David703
12-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I use my arm and gloves. And obviously be carefull near the paint. I usually leave an inch or so on the car and it gets blown off when driving.

Envious Eric
12-01-2006, 04:29 PM
start the car for the hood portions....the heat will eventually melt it off!!! lol

for the rest, what about a presure washer to blast if off, then wash with ONR, then dry

imported_GregCavi
12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I use my arm and gloves. And obviously be carefull near the paint. I usually leave an inch or so on the car and it gets blown off when driving.

This is what I do, unfortunately it is extremely hard to avoid some very light marring, but like mentioned, the snow has to come off.

Greg

gofastman
12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
We got hit with 14" today and my truck is COVERED in snow. Temperature will not even come close to 30 for the next week. What is the best way to remove snow without scratching the paint??

your so lucky, here in the Twin Cities we just go freezing cold. snow > super cold

bill57
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I start the car and turn on heat and defroster. Then the mentioned glove and arm method. I used a broom to get rid of a foot of snow last year, and didn`t notice the scratches I caused until Spring. The broom is OK for glass, though, especially when it is heated.

Ghaleon0721
12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Isn`t this WHY we detail? Keeping a car clean and shiny is easy. Almost anyone can do it with a sponge, a bucket, some soap, a chamois, and a coat of turtle wax twice a year. No big deal.

But this post is actually getting at the core of why we, the Autopians, go to the lengths that we do. There is a reason we put on a second coat of wax. There is a reason we use polymer sealers. There is a reason we use a different type of wax in the summer than we use in the winter. If you take proper care of your car, there is absolutely no reason that I can see why you can`t use a soft bristled brush to get the snow off of your car, even if it means touching the paint.

Letting it blow off while driving greatly reduces visibility and is dangerous because it impairs the drivers behind you as well. I hate people who do this.

If the paint is protected properly, the consequences of the brush should be minimal. And lets face it, every other day of the winter your car is getting blasted with road salt, grime, dirty snow, and ice chips. No matter what you do, you are going to get marring and cobwebbing on your finish by the time spring rolls around.

But isn`t that the best time of year? The first nice weekend of the year. You can bust out the polishes, glazes, waxes, towels, and everything else. You get to experience that satisfying feeling of watching scratches disappear at hands of your mighty PC 7424.

And sure, not brushing the snow off of your car will minimize the work that you have to do. But if we all enjoy detailing so much, I don`t understand why we try so hard to find a quicker or easier way to get it done. If you learn to ENJOY detailing, the results will be much better.

Let`s face it, we are regular guys, with regular cars that have to hit the road EVERY SINGLE DAY. They will NEVER be perfect. They will never win any competitions and they will never be featured in any magazines. All we can do is take care of them the best that we can and take some pride and satisfaction in the fact that we have great looking cars.

gofastman
12-01-2006, 04:41 PM
If the paint is protected properly, the consequences of the brush should be minimal.

are you saying a wax will protect the paint fom a brush :think:

BlueZero
12-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I use a Meguiar`s Wide Body Brush. Figure it works great for washing without leaving swirls, why not use it to remove snow.

Hey Basshog, where in Wisconsin are you?

gofastman
12-01-2006, 04:45 PM
I use a Meguiar`s Wide Body Brush. Figure it works great for washing without leaving swirls, why not use it to remove snow.?

thats a good idea! I shudder when I see neighbors bushing there cars off with thoughs nylon brissle brush/ice scraper things

jmillican
12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
The Snow Brum is supposed to do the job w/o marring.

Auto Snow Remover (http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-snow-remover-broom-rake.html)

Ghaleon0721
12-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I didn`t say that wax will protect paint from a brush. I said that proper protection will minimize the negative effects.

Seriously, who the hell is going to stand outside in sub-freezing temperatures with a heat gun and defrost his car without touching the paint. Maybe you`ll do that once or twice before you lose patience and say "Screw it" and brush the snow off.

We are all thinking about this way too much. It`s been snowing since the beginning of time, and just about every human being on earth uses a brush to get the snow off of their car. Any damage can be repaired. Quite easily.

If you`re really worried about it, put your car in a garage, cover it, and don`t touch it until it`s 75 degrees again. Otherwise, suck it up, and brush the damn snow off!

Basshog
12-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the ideas...it will be a cold day in hell before I push the snow off with a broom...even with two coats of Collonite!

I live 20 minutes out of Milwaukee

gofastman
12-01-2006, 05:24 PM
well Milwaukee = Hell, and it is cold outside, soo... get a broom

:grinno: