PDA

View Full Version : Advice.....

06grnmstr
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double cab (forest green color). It has almost 5000 miles on it, bought it back in Aug. want to put a good coat of wax on it to really make it shine. I noticed the water still beads, and it came with the "first place finish" which is a paint protectant that was done by the factory.

I bought these things to work on my truck this weekend.

1 bottle of Meguiar`s NXT 18oz Liquid Wax

1 bottle of Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Polish

1 container of Mother`s California Gold Clay Bar system

All for a grand total of about $49 bucks....

My question is, will these harm the "first place finish", and if so, should I use the "exterior renewer instead of these to work on my truck? I have heard nothing but good things about Meguiars and Mothers.....any and all help is appreciated.:clap:

Dan
12-01-2006, 11:43 AM
The Deep Crystal Polish will more than likely totally remove your "first place finish" On that note, that is not a problem. Those are just another sealant sold by the dealer for extra profit. Do a search for dealer and sealant and you`ll get plenty of hits. Your combo looks good.

the other pc
12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Deep Crystal Polish (step 2) is just a glaze with no abrasives or cleaners and shouldn’t remove a sealant. Deep Crystal Cleaner (step 1) will remove previously applied products.

PC.

06grnmstr
12-01-2006, 12:00 PM
should i top it with some meguiars #16? I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE!

David703
12-01-2006, 12:16 PM
I love the mother`s clay bar. Make sure you give it a good once over before you start your work.

the other pc
12-01-2006, 12:17 PM
#16 is discontinued in the US so if you’re dead set on using it you have to get it through alternative channels, ebay or whatever.

There are plenty of other high quality carnauba waxes available. #16 is great but not mandatory these days. (That said, I have to admit I just #16’ed my wife’s MINI last weekend.)

PC.

mose
12-01-2006, 12:18 PM
06grnmstr:

I posted a reply on TS.com for you......

I just realized that you are wanting to do the truck this weekend so you have run out of tie to order the products I suggested......:nixweiss

If you can postpone the detail then kewl.....if not.......use the stuff you have and maybe think about the other way to go next time!!:up

06grnmstr
12-01-2006, 12:27 PM
i think i`ll postpone it like ya said mose...try to work on getting some 16

mose
12-01-2006, 12:44 PM
People have had a ton of success with Megs products.......Good luck!!! Like I said before if you have questions adn you can`t find the answer using the "search" field...."Ask and they will answer". Almost any question you are going to ask has been asked and asnwered at least once here!! The people here are fantastic and remarkably helpful!!:clap:

GlossyTundra
12-01-2006, 01:29 PM
You should be fine with the NXT for now, but definatly go for better products in the future.

Definatly try the Mothers power polish and NXT over the weekend. Mothers Carnuba (non-cleaner) paste wax would work just as well as #16 over your NXT.

Dan
12-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Deep Crystal Polish (step 2) is just a glaze with no abrasives or cleaners and shouldn’t remove a sealant. Deep Crystal Cleaner (step 1) will remove previously applied products.

PC.

Good catch... my mistake. Getting #16 is totally uneccessary. Prep Prep Prep. The final coat will seal the results in. There are plenty of other OTC products that will go great until you can secure the #16 if you must have it.

06grnmstr
12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, I went ahead and got a can of Meguiar`s #16 from trl2002....gonna hit it hard with the clay bar, then the polishing compound, then nxt, then put #16 on top....should be smooth as a baby`s A$$

CalgaryDetail
12-01-2006, 03:59 PM
They may harm the first place finsih but dont be fooled by it. I know when i got my car i got suckered in to the life time sealent. (this was before i started detailing). Its on. cool but its not a life time thing so dont worry about hurting it. Heck i would apply another sealent (there are lots out there) over top of there sealent for addded protection. But i would not worry about haming the factory sealent as it will eventually wear off anyway. you just need to be proactive in yur paint portection

Eliot Ness
12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, I went ahead and got a can of Meguiar`s #16 from trl2002....gonna hit it hard with the clay bar, then the polishing compound, then nxt, then put #16 on top....should be smooth as a baby`s A$$The key to using #16, like a lot of other products, is to apply a very, very, thin coat. If you do that then removal won`t be a problem. If you slather it on too thick it can be difficult to remove. Glad you found some #16, it is one of my favorite waxes.