PDA

View Full Version : good unobtrusive air freshener

Pages : [1] 2

Spyder
11-30-2006, 10:57 AM
ok this seems like a simple thing but i cant seem to find a good unobtrusive air freshener. I know that there are a ton of varieties for the ones that hang from your rearview mirror or for the ones with the scented oil that clip to your vent but to me they look so tacky.

i stopped by the local walmart last night and i got a couple items to try. one looked like a small rubber egg shaped item with a flat bottom that sticks to a surface. this one wa new car scent - but as soon as i opened it i knew i hated it - i like the concept but that definitely didnt smell like new car. smells moke like medicine to me.

the other one was a small vent-clipon thing. the head of it that would be visible when clipped onto the vent was maybe 1/4" high (if that) and maybe 1/2" wide, but the clip was about 2" deep and i think thats where the fragrance is. this seemed like a good solution but all they had was "summer breeze" or something like that and that smelled pretty nasty too - too perfumey.

i liked the form factor of both of these items but i would have preferred a more pleasant scent like vanilla or something.

does anybody know of a place online or brick-and-mortar, where i can get some kind of small unobtrusive air freshener for the car that has a variety of decent smells?

brwill2005
11-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Sent you a PM.

GeorgePaul
11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
My favorites so far are the gel car air fresheners from Yankee Candle, which you can get online or at various retailers. They`re small and unobtrusive. Available in "Sugar Cane & Vanilla", which you may like. I like the citrus and apple fragrances.

eyeguy
11-30-2006, 08:01 PM
I got the cotton scent or fresh laundry scent or something along those lines and its not too shabby. I keep it covered in my ashtray so it keeps the scent fairly light. I don`t think Yankee Candle has a scent I wouldn`t put in my car.

I usually don`t like air fresheners in a car, but I just bought a TDI and use a "fuel transfer device" and put it in the hatch when I need it. The air freshener does a good job while the fuel smell disperses.

BigAl3
11-30-2006, 09:52 PM
i like using one of these, and they`re only around $1 each with many different varities to choose from (they seem to last longer than the little trees). they fit right into one of the cup holders and you can adjust it...

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/02/24/Renuzit_LongLast_Adjustable_Air_Freshener.gif

RCBuddha
11-30-2006, 11:13 PM
I`d look into CG`s Air Freshner line. They are quite concentrated, but you can dilute them to your liking. I use mine in a small mister bottle, sprayed sparingly under the front seats. Try this link: http://www.chemicalguys.com/category_s/15.htm

If Paul is still there, shoot him a call and let him get you some prices for the smaller size.

LastDetail
12-01-2006, 03:26 AM
I am a big fan of the Air Spencer air fresheners. The box attaches to wherever and the scent element goes inside, and it has a slide on top of the scent element to control how strong you want it to be. I buy mine at Super Autobacs.

ACT LABS - *AIR SPENCER CS-X3 Air Freshener (Blue) (http://www.act-labs.com/scripts/proddetails.asp?Pid=209)

imported_exclusivedetail
12-01-2006, 06:18 AM
I dont use a lot of air freshener but there is a stone sold in a lot of discount auto stores that sits beneath the seats. Various fragrances are available and I have found it to be very long lasting.

imported_Lightman
12-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I think it goes without saying that you really shouldn`t need any air freshener...if you do you should clean the offending area of the interior, rather than mask the smell, which is just a band-aid solution. That being said, i think the concentrated scents that you`d dilute and spray is the best way to go...I certainly don`t want one of those toilet top air fresheners in my cup holder LOL

CalgaryDetail
12-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I think it goes without saying that you really shouldn`t need any air freshener...if you do you should clean the offending area of the interior, rather than mask the smell, which is just a band-aid solution. That being said, i think the concentrated scents that you`d dilute and spray is the best way to go...I certainly don`t want one of those toilet top air fresheners in my cup holder LOL

i know personaly that i like the smell of alot of air fresners. (alot i just buy at canadian tire). There are no offensive oders, no bad smels. there is nothing to mask. However sometimes its nice to have a fresh sent.

I know rightlook has air fresnher chips that you can put in the car. I have never used them but they are just small discs. They also have little holders for the to clip onto the vents. Maybe those might be what you are looking for:2thumbs:

RCBuddha
12-01-2006, 05:53 PM

True, but I find its nice to have a light scent in cloth-seat cars...

Nuke33
12-01-2006, 06:05 PM
does that cg new car smell really smell like new car?

paul34
12-01-2006, 06:10 PM
I myself can`t decide whether to get an air freshener. People say my car smells good, and I agree (hopefully I`m not missing some weird scent somewhere haha)... there are no bad smells to cover up, its just that I get "bored." Is that bad? heh

RTexasF
12-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Check with Steve at Poorboy`s. He has some scents remaining that are inexpensive and highly concentrated. I have the Vanilla and received the Green Apple this evening. Both are delightful and long lasting, the Green Apple is my new favorite. A little goes a long way.

Mr_Elusive
12-02-2006, 07:52 AM
I`ve good experiences with the Car Diffuser from The Body Shop:

http://www.thebodyshop.com/images/homefragrance/products/pd_car_diffuser.jpg

Just purchase a scented oil of your choice, put a few drops on the white pad, and put it in the diffuser. I usually put it in when I`m in the car and take it out when I leave. After a few uses the scent hold well in the car.