PDA

View Full Version : Through the Clear Coat?

Pages : [1] 2

Fifth_geN
11-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I had a question and was hoping someone could help. I have a 98 red honda prelude, and the paint on the top of the roof, hood, and trunk has an oxidized look to it. But its not oxidation. Everyone that see`s it thinks they can buff it out, but when they try, nothing happens. They tell me that the paint is just faded. But the clearcoat is still beatiful, you can see your reflection in it and it looks like glass. My question is, is this even possible? That the paint can be faded trough the clearcoat? I will post up some pics tonight to show you exactly what I`m talking about.

Thanks to any and all help. :2thumbs:

coupe
11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
We would need to see pics.

Was the car ever covered with a tarp?

Bigpoppa3346
11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Sounds like paint failure or checking to me. Nothing short of a repaint can fix that.

Fifth_geN
11-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Here are the pics. The camera makes it look worse then it really is, but once I get under a street light, thats exactly what it looks like. But like I said, the clearcoat is still in good condition. Im guessing re-paint is the only fix. :wall

joyriiide1113
11-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Looks like oxidation to me. Especially since its a red car. Maybe the guys u`ve used just don`t know what they`re talkign about.

When those other guys attemped to fix it, how did u see them try? By hand? By machine? Using Cleaner Wax (LOL..many "detailguys" call that buffing cream).

MaximusZTS
11-29-2006, 04:32 PM
well if the car is a `98 with original paint. It has a Clear coat. right? Then what you see there is clear coat failure in its begining stages. It most likly goes throught the entire clear coat layer and polishing is just removing small amounts of clear coat and exposing more failed clear coat. I say you need a repaint.

Fifth_geN
11-29-2006, 04:55 PM
I have had a few people try. A buffer was used as well as by hand. As for what they used I am not exactly sure. I just know it was some kind of wax. Its wierd becasue when I wax it, it does get less dull looking, but overtime its right back to being spotted. And about the tarp, the car never had a car cover of any sort ever used on it that I know of, just garage kept.

tom weed
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Does the applicator when you apply a wax or compound turn red, the color of the car? If so, then it`s probably oxidation and is a single stage paint. If it paint doesn`t come off on the applicator, then it`s clear coat and could be cc failure.

Tom

imported_eLrEyNaDa
11-29-2006, 05:06 PM
I already have the same problem and it fix easily.

I have just Polish (pinnacle) with a polishing pad, sealant (Malco) and wax (pinnacle)

Before

http://www.esthetique-auto.com/save/DSC01993.JPG

After

http://www.esthetique-auto.com/save/CIMG0286.JPG

Fifth_geN
11-29-2006, 09:11 PM
No the applicator pad dosen`t turn red. It could be the cc.

Elreynada, that cars looks great. Mabye I will get those products and give it a try. Thanks for the help guys.

RAG
11-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I`m not even going to look at the pictures or read beyond the second post - it`s clear coat failure. Can`t be oxidation, because clear coated paint does not oxidize - it fails.

Fifth_geN
11-29-2006, 10:24 PM
I`m not even going to look at the pictures or read beyond the second post - it`s clear coat failure. Can`t be oxidation, because clear coated paint does not oxidize - it fails.

Really? I never knew that.

Deviant
11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Looks like clear coat failure to me as well. Esp since you said that the red paint doesn`t transfer to the applicator/polishing pad.

Probably gonna have to get a repaint on those panels.

autobritemike
11-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I have seen this problem a few times, mostly on red paint. I was never able to solve the faded issues with buffing, or any other detailing measures. I Have told my customers that the paint has failed, and needs to be repainted.

Just a thought on this topic....is it possible that the paint was sealed when the vehicle was new before the paint was completely cured causing this fading under the clear? I have wondered if this could be the reason for similar situations i have encountered.

the other pc
11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
… My question is, is this even possible? That the paint can be faded trough the clearcoat? …It’s called photodecomposition. Although the clear will block most UV light it won’t stop all light; UV, visible and IR, from passing through to the base coat. The light that does get through can cause the pigments to break down, but the resin matrix remains intact. So it can be faded but solid.

… Can`t be oxidation, because clear coated paint does not oxidize - it fails.I disagree. Clear coats can and do oxidize. They just show it differently from the way we see it in single stage coatings. (I do agree that clear coat failure is how they usually show it.)

SS paints get faded, rough and chalky when they oxidize. Clears can’t fade since they have no pigment. They can get milky or cloudy. If that’s limited to the top surface it can be buffed out.

Most modern polyurethane clears stand up to UV radiation better than older acrylic single stage finishes. So they don’t get crusty and chalky as quickly. The chemical bond between the clear and the base coats typically fails before the clear fully oxidizes so you see bubbling, cracking and peeling (classic clearcoat failure) more than chalking.

If the faded appearance is due to clouding of the clear and if the damage is limited to the top surface of the clear and if there’s enough clear left, you should be able to bring back the color as eLrEyNaDa did (and as the other guys who tried on yours didn’t).

If the clear is intact and truly clear then the pigment in the base has faded and the only fix is a re-spray. If the clear is beginning to de-bond from the base it will need to be sanded off and re-sprayed.

PC.