PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my PC to polish aluminum?

abbeysdad
11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Anybody done metal polishing with a PC? (Or is it more rotary territory?)

I have a 17` Grumman aluminum canoe. It has an anodized finish and sat in the water in a boathouse for many years before I got it. I was able to clean it up some `back in the day`, but I`m thinking I`d really like to polish it.

Thoughts or advice?

BobD
11-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I have used my PC to polish up chrome exhaust before. Came out good but the exhaust was not that bad to start with. I would think that the rotary or Cyclo would be the better tool though.

Glossequation
11-28-2006, 02:41 PM
I`ve done my stainless steel fridge with some NXT Metal Polysh and my PC and it came out really nice!

Accumulator
11-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, you can use it for that, but I dunno how well you`ll be able to spruce up the anodizing. Anodizing is hard stuff but once it starts to fail your often SOL.

One of my builder`s guys used a PC to polish some stainless steel panels when they were building my shop..it was the product (and to a lesser extent the pad) that did the work, he wasn`t putting pressure on the PC when he did it. I gotta admit I was pretty :eek: that he was able to do the job with a PC. It *did* take him a long, long time though. If you can polish steel with the right stuff you can do other, similar jobs.

Just goes to show what the PC and do if the job`s approached in the right way but that "right way" means using the proper products. And note that I`m the guy who says he can`t correct badly marred Audis with a PC ;)