PDA

View Full Version : Horrendous NSX

Pages : [1] 2

RAG
11-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Pretty crazy story...

Yesterday was rough - detailed a black NSX that was is worse shape than I ever could have imagined (I`ll post pics as soon as the gallery is back up). Basically, I gave they guy my price sheet which clearly shows that I perform 1-step through 5-step buff jobs...he chose the 3-step. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that it was covered in white overspray which took me an hour and a half to clay off. I then started buffing the car out with an orange cutting pad and Extreme Cut compound...but then I came across a couple panels that the compound didn`t even touch so I called the customer and told him that some of the panels could sure use my 5-step process. (the entire vehicle was hammered but a few panels were worse than I`d ever seen before). So he came over to look and insisted that I should just do a little extra...I did just to get him out of my hair.

But here`s the story - they guy used to own a body shop (25 years ago) so he repainted some of the panels himself. He told me he painted, then sanded with 600 grit, then 1000 grit, then buffed with a wheel...that`s it. So this was why the paint looked like a train wreck - finished with 1000 then 1-step compounded and called it good. SCARY. And the guy was all in my ear about how if I was good I could make the paint perfect with three buffing steps...I told him "not without halograms." So I ended up doing a $450 job for $300...and he didn`t even tip me. Seriously, who sands with 600 then finishes with 1000 anyways? Moral of the story...stay away from old-school body shop guys (we all know bodyshopers are HACKS anyways...but a old-schooler using 70`s techniques is down-right scary).

imported_Detailing Technology
11-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Single stage paint guys from the old school.....IMRON days.

your average slob in a body shop just wants to make sure the paint sticks to the car, they generally arent concerned with much else.

I remember seeing guys sand with 600, spray, sand with 600, spray, sand with 1200 and buff with wool and heavy 3m paste compond.

BobD
11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Should of just filled it with glazes like the body shops do and sent him on his way. That would of been good for a few washes. LOL

fdizzle
11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
thats a bummer man . . . im sure some good will come of it though . . .

EBPcivicsi
11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
That`s *exactly* what they do around here--sand with 1000 grit, buff with twisted wool, apply heavy filling wax.

Once a customer shows the "know-it-all" attitude, that is the last time that we do business. If they know so much, why don`t they do it themselves.

LOL, "if you are any good you should be able to get it done in three steps." I mean, if it`s hammered and you start out with twisted wool, eh nevermind, they`ll never understand...

BTW, here is some stellar work performed by a local BS here in town. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ebpcivicsi/Black%2006%20CHARGER/tn_IMG_2999.jpg

I am sure that what you were dealing with was much worse as EC cleaned this up fairly easily....

ZoranC
11-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I cry for that NSX. It`s too nice of a car to deserve owner like that.

TeutonicCarFan
11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
:ditto

I wonder what the cars that went through his BS (i mean bodyshop :)) look like

kyotousa
11-28-2006, 05:02 PM
why would u do a 450 job for 300?

can`t you just refuse?

STG
11-28-2006, 05:10 PM
I think the moral of the story should be:

TRUST YOURSELF

If you think the car requires "five steps" and the customer wants "three steps", run don`t walk away.

The hardest thing to do in any business is knowing when to turn down work.

Brian_Brice
11-28-2006, 05:25 PM
i look at it a little different, i explain what i think the car needs and if they arent willing to pay ill take thier 185 instead of 3-400 and do the job, theyll just pay someone else the money they want to spend on it. im sure youre 185 job is much better than a halfasser. it sucks yes but i can`t turn down a almost full job, why would i, i wash n one step even though i hate it, still gotta pay the bills. i understand its hard to put your name on it and say hey theres the car i couldve completely restored. if they arent interested in your professional opinion youll probably never do business with them again anyhow. take the money and run.

BMWWW
11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Would you guys ever contemplate doing a quick glaze and wax for customers that you`ll never accept a job from in the future? (I`m talking about the arrogant ones that believe it`s their privilege to get more than they pay for?

So far, my customers have been real enthusiasts, and understanding when I tell them that it isn`t going to be perfect for what they`re willing to pay. I do however, dread that one ungrateful customer who will turn around and bad-mouth my work.

Thoughts?

ZoranC
11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
I think the moral of the story should be:

TRUST YOURSELF

If you think the car requires "five steps" and the customer wants "three steps", run don`t walk away.

The hardest thing to do in any business is knowing when to turn down work.

I think moral of the story should be give them exactly what you agreed on and stick to it. If you say 5 and they say 3 and you all agree on 3 and they pay 3 then give them 3, not 5, not 4, a 3, and ignore them when they try to manipulate you into 5 for a price of 3. Dentist wouldn`t do it. Lawyer wouldn`t do it. Mechanic wouldn`t do it. Cook wouldn`t do it. You shouldn`t do it either.

ZoranC
11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I wonder what the cars that went through his BS (i mean bodyshop :)) look like

Who knows? And besides, who said his goal was/is having fixed body? Maybe he flips cars that are in demand by doing cheap hiding of damage and hires detailer just for surface, area he knows he can`t hack up and potential buyer pays lots of attention to?

Junebug
11-28-2006, 06:53 PM
It`s a shame how some "Earl Schieb" guys give decent body shops a bad rap. I`ve worked at two before moving on and getting a better paying job with benefits, but back in the early 80`s, the shops where I prep`d cars for paint turned out paint jobs that put factory paint to shame. But, then it wasn`t that hard back then! Prices sure have gone up, 300 bucks use to get you a DuPont lacquer job that looked great. We use to buff out paint on old cars for 25, that included a wash, compound and glaze. One thing that a lot of people seem to leave at home these days is pride in their work. In this situation, you did your best and didn`t cop out, so don`t worry about the dude - and remember, "you can`t polish a turd"

jbraswell
11-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I work at a dealership, and our body shop is the same way. Crooked as hell. Spray it, sand it, cut it with 3M Extra cut (on an old crusty Megs wool pad) and load it up with heavy fillers. I feel bad for the people who don`t know any better. It really isn`t the painters fault though, he turns 150 hours a week and is asked to sand and buff every car, just not enough time