PDA

View Full Version : hard film on glass

rubbersled
11-27-2006, 11:27 PM
i just bought a car from a dealer and as i dorve this morning, i saw what appeared to be mist on my windows. as i tried to clean the glass, i noticed that this is a very hard, clear, speckled film that seems to be everywhere. one of my co workers has the same thing on her glass. what is this and how can we get it off?

paul34
11-27-2006, 11:37 PM
have you tried clay?

richy
11-27-2006, 11:52 PM
clay works great on glass and headlight covers too. you could also try a straight razor blade on an angle with lots of window cleaner as lubricant.

Glossmaster
11-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Clay might work. But give some #0000 steel wool a try with your favorite glass cleaner. Make sure it`s #0000 steel wool. Spray your glass with glass cleaner & polish with the #0000. Wipe dry with a mf towel.

rubbersled
11-28-2006, 12:41 AM
well i have been out there all night trying different things that i have at my disposal to no avail. the problem seems to be that it is also on the trim and on the hood and roof. could this be some type of resin based polish the dealer used all over the vehicle. it almost loks like fine frozen water mist on the glass.

Titania
11-28-2006, 08:51 AM
It`s probably tree sap. There`s some tree...don`t know what kind, but I`ve parked under one before much to my chagrin...that puts out sap that looks exactly like water mist but doesn`t come off without a ton of work. Try a sap/tar remover.

Eliot Ness
11-28-2006, 09:03 AM
.......the problem seems to be that it is also on the trim and on the hood and roof. could this be some type of resin based polish the dealer used all over the vehicle. it almost loks like fine frozen water mist on the glass.If it is also on a co-workers car I`d think it was something common to where you park..... tree sap like Titania mentioned or some kind of overspray from something in the area. What are some of the things that you have tried?

Try some bug and tar remover (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/stn-91154.html) like Titania suggested. IPA alcohol also works good on some sap and I would also try some clay (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html) if those two don`t work. You`ll also want to wax or seal your car when you`re finished.

rubbersled
11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
i have tried tar remover to no avail. what i have found so far that has worked by test spoting, and only on the windows of course, is a fine steal wool with windex as a lube. will clay work in that same fashion?