PDA

View Full Version : Need help, weatherstrip dressing?!?

05corolla
11-27-2006, 10:44 PM
So I picked up some silicone lubricant today to apply to my weatherstrippings but I read somewhere that 303 AP is better. Which do ya`ll think is better??

Accumulator
11-28-2006, 10:59 AM
IMO the best dressing is the "cleanest" one that still does the job. Too many products attract dirt, run in the rain, transfer to adjacent glass, and otherwise make a mess.

Depending on what weatherstripping I`m working on, I use stuff like 303 or the "Gummi Sticks" from 1Z, Wurth and BMW (forget who makes theirs), or Wurth Rubber Care (sprayed on application media instead of sprayed directly on the strips). FWIW, of the "Gummi Stick" products, the Wurth one left less residue than the 1Z stuff.

BigJimZ28
11-28-2006, 11:15 AM
the silicone lube is great for the weather strips

it is what gm sells & recemends

Setec Astronomy
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
The 1z Gummi Pflege in the shoe polish applicator always seemed to dry without residue for me:

http://www.1z-usa.com/images/1z/Gummi.GIF

I actually think it would be similar to the silicone spray that you get at the hardware store for drawers and stuff (as far as not leaving residue).

Accumulator
11-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Setec Astronomy- If you`re ever, heh heh, overcome by curiosity about this stuff ;) try comparing the 1z and the Wurth. I tested them on the WRX where the glass presses directly against the strips.

Setec Astronomy
11-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Oh...that kind of residue...I was thinking about what the rubber is like after application...and I`m thinking about door weatherstripping rather than windows...unless a WRX has frameless windows which I haven`t had since my `76 A-Body...

Accumulator
11-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh...that kind of residue...I was thinking about what the rubber is like after application...and I`m thinking about door weatherstripping rather than windows...unless a WRX has frameless windows which I haven`t had since my `76 A-Body...

Yeah, the WRX *does* have frameless windows...the residue drove me nuts to the point that I didn`t dress them much until I tried the Wurth stuff. That makes two Wurth products of that type that dry very "clean", the Rubber Care isn`t leaving any significant mess on the doors of the S8 (or the Jag) either; I use it on their door seals.

I forget the exact details of my Gummi Stick testing (the thread is probably around here somewhere...) but I was surprised at how differently the various products performed, what with their presumed similarity and all.

brwill2005
11-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Stoner`s Trim Shine works well on weather stripping.

imported_gusbubba
11-29-2006, 11:18 PM
I use 845 IW during the LSP stage....leaves a wonderful sheen , lasts forever and doesn`t run. Sorta found this out by accident and stuck with it.

Accumulator
11-30-2006, 02:24 PM
I use 845 IW during the LSP stage....

I have that on the window surrounds (black sorta-weatherstrip stuff) on the Blazer, and yeah, it works well when you`re not trying to really soften them up with the conventional approach.

abbeysdad
11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
I use 303 AP.

imported_gusbubba
11-30-2006, 09:36 PM
I have that on the window surrounds (black sorta-weatherstrip stuff) on the Blazer, and yeah, it works well when you`re not trying to really soften them up with the conventional approach.

Yes...good point. I`d suggest treating them with a conventional product first to "feed" the strip , then use the IW down the line.