PDA

View Full Version : Is this permanent paint damage?

Pages : [1] 2

lax01
11-26-2006, 11:40 PM
http://lax.war3.com/Car/M3/Treesap/DSC_2370.jpg

I just got my car on Monday (an 02 M3) and I parked it under a tree on Friday night. The tree dropped these little berrys or something on the car and when the sun came up, it heated them up and made them sticky.

So I pulled them off but they left this residue. So I`ve been trying to buff and polish them out, but I can`t get them to go away. I`ve used literally everything in my garage from rubbing alcohol to PB Blaster (someone somewhere swore it worked)...I made sure to clean it off afterwards of course...and every single polish and cleaner I have. I`ve tried pretty much everything other than wet-sanding...and if that is the case, I think I`m going to take it to a professional.

Does this look like permanent etching? I have like 4 or 5 spots on the car that all look like this to a certain degree and I would really like them to disappear...

Thanks for any help you can provide me...

Whitethunder46
11-26-2006, 11:42 PM
My sister`s car had some sap on it the other day that was dried from a few days earlier. Polishing helped, but a little magic with the clay bar got the rest out.

imported_Bence
11-27-2006, 09:14 AM
This is rather a permanent etching. You can try to wetsand it if you are really anal about it, but you have to sand down to the deepest point in the etching. If you don`t want to compromise the integrity of the film build (clear thickness), try to live with it.

Unfortunately, fruit acids are pretty strong...

imported_DennisH
11-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I would go do local auto store and get some tar remover made for cars and give that a try. Then wash, clay, polish, then use you favorite wax or sealant.

PS.. I have heard that WD40 will remove sap, I have not tried it nor do I like using products like that on paint unless I have to.

Eliot Ness
11-27-2006, 10:07 AM
.......and every single polish and cleaner I have. I`ve tried pretty much everything other than wet-sanding..........What polishes have you tried?

It does look rather deep, but you might be able to minimize it and make them less noticeable by trying something like ScratchX. The following thread shows how Mike Phillips used it by hand on a "bird bomb" etching:

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516)

ScratchX is cheap, easy to use, and usually available locally (Wal-Mart or auto part stores). If it gets it to the point where you`re happy then you`ve saved some $$$, if not, then you can take it to a (good) pro and see what they think. If nothing else, the ScratchX link provides a pretty good explanation and visual on what is involved in removing something like this.

It would be a good idea to carry a small bottle of QD and some MF`s to get stuff like those berries, bird bombs, etc. off asap before they can do more damage. Good luck and report back on how you did.

lax01
11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Interesting about Scratch-X....I actually tried some but probably only did one application... I guess I can try to do more tonight and see if that helps...

Thanks guys for the comments...I just ordered some Poorboys SSR2.0, and some P21s Multi-Surface Finish Polish, so if the Scratch-X doesn`t work, I`ve got those options to try...

Eliot Ness
11-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Interesting about Scratch-X....I actually tried some but probably only did one application... I guess I can try to do more tonight and see if that helps.........Yeah, it will take more than one application, probably at least three or more, and remember to work it with some "passion".

lax01
11-27-2006, 10:47 AM
will do...

Dan
11-27-2006, 12:07 PM
You say its a residue, does that mean it is above the paint surface or has it etched? The pictures make it hard to tell.

lax01
11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
You say its a residue, does that mean it is above the paint surface or has it etched? The pictures make it hard to tell.

dunno...I can feel it slightly on the surface...but whether that is because its physically etched into the clear-coat or because its sitting on top of the clear-coat, I do not know...

Eliot Ness
11-27-2006, 01:09 PM
dunno...I can feel it slightly on the surface...but whether that is because its physically etched into the clear-coat or because its sitting on top of the clear-coat, I do not know...From what you have tried so far I would think that what`s left is etched into the clear coat. A fairly easy way to tell is to look at it with a magnifying glass.

lax01
11-27-2006, 01:18 PM
what should it look like under a magnifying glass? I can`t believe those berrys messed the paint up that fast...I am never parking under that tree again

Eliot Ness
11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
what should it look like under a magnifying glass? I can`t believe those berrys messed the paint up that fast...I am never parking under that tree againIt will make it a lot easier to tell if it is still on the surface of the paint or if it has etched into the paint. Once you start looking you`ll be able to tell. Use your fingernail or a moist (wood) toothpick while looking and you will "feel" if the spot is raised or etched. The wet toothpick will lessen the chance of adding any additional marring.

The same thing can happen if a bird ate something like those berries and then dumped on your car..... that`s why I like to carry some QD and MF`s. I`ve had some bird bombs start to etch in a matter of hours, but some I have washed off of beaters that have been on there for weeks (dry and crusty) and there was hardly any damage :nixweiss

Dan
11-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I won`t say it can`t happen, but in just a few days? That`s why I`m asking if its on top of the paint, if its still residue, there is a lot of hope in getting it off. If its etched... well....

lax01
01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
bought a Porter Cable buffer...gonna try that and see if I can remove it was SSR2.5 and a nice medium cut pad...