PDA

View Full Version : Differences between synthetic wax and sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_grease
11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
as the titles says, what are the difference between the 2?

busyguy
11-26-2006, 07:23 PM
well, i`m very much a noob on these forums so dont take my reply too seriously...

From the trolling and research i`ve done on this forum i have concluded that

Wax is not actually a synthetic. It is a natural product, usually with carnuba. Some people seem to like it because it leaves the "deep, wet" look.

Sealant is the synthetic.. IE: man made. From what i`ve read, the sythetics offer longer lasting protection than most carnubas. It seems like neither is a "BETTER" choice, but you must choose one to suit your needs/desires.

If any/all of the above i wrong, feel free to flame me!!

imported_grease
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Thats the impression I had, but I keep reading about synthetic waxes...

Maybe synthetic wax is just a another name for sealant?

busyguy
11-26-2006, 08:18 PM
from what i have gathered, you are correct.

I believe people often use wax/sealant as the same term for a synthetic product. Hopefully a pro can come comfirm that or just make a fool of me!

03TLS
11-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah i think a synthetic wax is the same thing as a sealant they just use the term "wax" to appeal more to the average consumer, but then again i may be mistaken.

pogo123
11-26-2006, 08:49 PM
There are also paste waxes that are completely synthetic. Finish Kare 1000P comes to mind in that catagory. To quote from the FK web site:

"Hi Temp Synthetic Paste Wax

Developed from a West German process called Synthesis 1000P is a blend of advanced pure synthetic materials. The result is a paste wax characterized by melting temps. of 250+ degrees, extreme hardness, extreme slickness, high gloss, and intensive wear without the quality fluctuations found in natural waxes."

I`ve tried their sample tin of the wax. It looks and applies just like any paste wax, although it feels kind of hard in the tin.

imported_NHBFAN
11-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah is NXT a wax or a sealant?

j/k

wannafbody
11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Chemists also use silicones to create water-in-oil emulsions, reduce emulsion particle size, to stabilize emulsions, and to improve spreading and coverage of wax products. Most modern silicone formulas are water soluble (no oil or petroleum), and are completely inert. The best way to describe most forms of silicone is to think of it as a man-made wax ester. Silicone is created by the reaction generated when you combine fatty acids with polydimethylsiloxane (or other derivatives of the compound). (quote by Mike Philips of Meguiars)

many synthetic "sealants" are mixed with siloxanes- in essance they aren`t pure polymer paint sealants. NXT is probably a synthetic wax.

SVR
11-26-2006, 11:03 PM
NXT is a synthetic wax.

Synthetic waxes are made from polydimethylsiloxane and come in either spray or wipe on formula`s

They offer a depth, wetness and shine as close as possible to carnauba

Many are petroleum based and attract dust quite a bit

Durability may be better than carnauba but is not as good as sealants

Sealants can also be polydimethylsiloxane (FK1 2180 for example) but others are acrylic based - (polyethylene) or polyethylene + nano and there are the ones that I have no idea what`s in them but have a special name

(Fireglaze double strength - tempera flex)

(Glare Infinity plus - Glassplexin)

These are two I know of. FG DS is definately a good one

I find the older , cross linking flourinated hydrocarbon formula`s do not last as long as the siloxane and acrylic`s

The older ones were known to stain plastic/rubber trim moldings

Glossmaster
11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Thats the impression I had, but I keep reading about synthetic waxes...

Maybe synthetic wax is just a another name for sealant?

Just to add.........Zaino, a synthetic sealant, calls it`s product "Zaino Show Car Polish". Interesting.

ret
11-27-2006, 12:40 AM
The best way to describe most forms of silicone is to think of it as a man-made wax ester.

Some silicone I’d much, much rather think of, and describe as, bodacious sets of man-made ta-tas.

So can I put “car wax†on my truck if the “wax†isn’t really a “wax†and the car is really a truck?

I’m so confused?:think:

RET

imported_grease
11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
man made ta-ta`s...sounds so wrong, looks soo right :)

good read by the way, guys, thanks!

socommatthews
11-27-2006, 08:37 PM
i wondered the same thing about 1Z glanz wax.its a synthetic "wax" but it beads like a sealant.:hm

wannafbody
11-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Amino functional silicone resins are true polymers. polydimethylsiloxane is a wax. True sealants bond to the paint.

socommatthews
11-27-2006, 11:51 PM
i was thinking the same thing about 1Z glanz.it beads like a sealant but it says its a "true wax"