PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right way to go for detailing?

krouchchocolate
11-26-2006, 02:25 AM
1)Wash the car with dawn (any other ways you guys prefer?)

2)Clay the car with clay magic bar while the car is soapy!

3)For older cars that have many swirls. I will use Optimum Hyper Compound with the green cutting pad.

4)For newer cars i will use Optimum Compound with the orange cutting pad.

5)For polishing, I will use Optimum Polish. Which pad should i use? The orange pad or the blue finishing pad?

6)Then i will apply Klasse AIO, but which pad should i use?

6)Apply a sealant such as zaino or klasse SG. For the SG what should i use to apply this? Should i just use an applicator?

7)Apply wax with an applicator then wipe it off with a microfiber towel!

How does this sound so far guys? Feel free to leave me some tips before i start!

abbeysdad
11-26-2006, 08:50 AM

There is a fair amount of controversy about using Dawn. I think you can use it if you like, but will do just as well with any quality car shampoo.

I always clay with a clay lube or other high quality lubricant - some clays don`t do well with soapy water and depending on the mix, there may be insufficient lubrication and marring may result.

3)For older cars that have many swirls. I will use Optimum Hyper Compound with the green cutting pad.

4)For newer cars i will use Optimum Compound with the orange cutting pad.

NO! The condition of the paint finish determines how aggressive a compound/polish you use, not age. Always begin with the least aggressive polish/pad and only get more aggressive as/if necessary.

5)For polishing, I will use Optimum Polish. Which pad should i use? The orange pad or the blue finishing pad?

Use a white polishing pad.

6)Then i will apply Klasse AIO, but which pad should i use?

AIO is a chemical cleaner plus sealant - a wide range of pad densities would work just fine. You could use the polishing or finishing pad.

6)Apply a sealant such as zaino or klasse SG. For the SG what should i use to apply this? Should i just use an applicator?

An applicator works fine by hand or even a small MF pad. I have also used an MF bonnet over a pad on the PC.

Here again, I`d use the PC to apply, buff off by hand with MF.

krouchchocolate
11-26-2006, 01:25 PM
So when doing compound I should go with orange then work my way up if the swirls are not going away?

lemans23
11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Krouch! Nice to see you over here, I`ve been telling Goob that we need a detailing forum, but he isn`t having it.

krouchchocolate
11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Krouch! Nice to see you over here, I`ve been telling Goob that we need a detailing forum, but he isn`t having it.

hey lemans! I did not know you posted here! Yeah they do need a detailing forum over on ca also.

Pennypacker
11-26-2006, 08:23 PM

If I was using Zaino, I wouldn`t bother with the wax afterward.

krouchchocolate
11-26-2006, 11:52 PM
If I was using Zaino, I wouldn`t bother with the wax afterward.

ohhh. Using the Klasse SG. Does it make a big difference?

krouchchocolate
11-27-2006, 03:43 PM
am i missing anything else guys

Pennypacker
12-04-2006, 02:15 AM
ohhh. Using the Klasse SG. Does it make a big difference?

Sorry I didn`t respond to you earlier. I`ve actually never used SG. Some people do put waxes over sealants. I`d imagine this would be more for looks than protection though. So I don`t think there`s anything wrong with doing that per se, just make sure the sealant has properly cured first. I just personally like to keep sealants and waxes separate.

thesacrifice
12-04-2006, 04:51 AM
If youre going to polish dont even both buying into the dawn "hype." The polish is going to remove everything anyways.

As a newbie, you should simply your detailing and gradually advance it. I guarantee all the steps listed will take you in excess of eight hours.

xnavyguy
12-04-2006, 11:35 AM

JMO but if you are going to clay, then you really don`t need to use Dawn since the clay will remove what ever LSP you are using.

As for using the clay while the car is still soapy, you are better off washing the car totally first to make sure you remove any dirt or grit. Once you have inspected the finish to make sure you didn`t miss anything, then use the clay and the suggested lubricant.