PDA

View Full Version : Help with insect problem in Flordia please

roadster
11-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I am at the Outer Banks with my girlfriends family for the holiday, and her brother has asked a question about a problem with the paint on his Lexus. There is an insect or bug in Florida, called the "Love Bug". This unusal and unique bug to Flordia can cover a vehicle in a heartbeat, and if not removed immediately, leaves a very difficult to remove residue or even worse, irreverseable paint damage.

He has so far attempted to address the problem with some Turtle Wax White Compound, which unfortunately did not provide any positive results.

Can someone provide some additional resolution procedures in hopes that it has not etched or permanently damaged the paint please?

THANKS !

Nic

twitch
11-24-2006, 11:56 AM
I hate love bug season. They are not only a problem in Florida as they are common in many southern states.

He has good reason to be concerned about the damage they cause. Insects (not only love bugs) will cause etching and staining. If the bugs are left on the surface for any amount of time damage will can occur.

Claying and polishing are options but he may not be able to clear up the marks 100%. Take care when claying the heavily contaminated bug areas. Kneed the clay often and do small sections at a time with plenty of lube.

To keep this from happening the only surefire way is to wash them off ASAP. The longer they sit on the surface the more damage they cause.

Good luck!

David Fermani
11-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Try one of these Bug Sponges with some APC. they are made for removing bugs without harming the finsih.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157/dfermani/1261-S.jpg

Dan D
11-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I generally just wax the front of the vehicle. Then cover it with a screen protector (the kind that ties to the front fender wells). When the bugs get too numerous, I hose off the screen and then remove it from the vehicle to clean the screen completely. While the screen is removed, I wash the front of the vehicle using a dish washing scrubber (sponge covered with a vinyl neting - works great to remove the bugs) and re-wax it.

Not sure why the wax (any wax) is not helping in your case, unless the Turtle Wax white compound is a light rubbing compound. If so, then all you are doing is making the front end more poreous for the Love Bugs to cling to. The wax makes the bugs come off easier. and helps to protect the finish.

YMMV, but this has worked for me every time.

Regards,

Dan

Brian_Brice
11-24-2006, 10:46 PM
if the sponge or clay fails to get em, you gotta polish. i hate bugs.

ret
11-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Get a Bug & Tar Remover

Meguiar`s

Mother`s

or Turtle Wax

Spray it on generously then lay some damp micro fiber towels over the area.

Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and they should wipe off fairly easy.

Love-Bug season has been over for a while, so if he’s just now cleaning them off…expect some pitting.

RET

Juztang
11-24-2006, 10:59 PM
I prefer Poorboys Bug Squash. I like to pretreat the heavy areas and then when I`m ready they come right off. Stoner Tarminator works pretty well too.