PDA

View Full Version : How many and what kind of MF towels will I need to remove wax?

BMW335i
11-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Title says it. I was looking at PakShaks Ultra-Fine (yellow) towels. Also, how many applicators will I need? I have an average sized car (335i).

imported_steveo3002
11-23-2006, 12:34 PM
at least one applicator for each product you wish to apply...then say 3 towels will easily get around to take off the wax, but id suggest you get extras if you can afford it as you may drop one when detailing

Accumulator
11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
IMO how many towels you`ll need will depend mainly on how thick/thin you apply the LSP. I often do the A8/S8 with just one or two (and *very* seldom more than one if I use the PC/Cyclo first), but OTOH I`ve used more than that on much smaller vehicles too, all a matter of how I put the LSP on. But yeah, get more than you think you`ll need because [stuff] happens.

bsk_500
11-27-2006, 10:24 PM
where`s everyone buy the MF towels at? and your car care product? autozone, pepboys and walmart?

LouisanaJeeper
11-27-2006, 10:37 PM
i have gotten towels from walmart and they are "ok" for drying and doing stuff on plastics/etc/windows

a good microfiber from autogeek/pakshack/autopia/ etc is much better made than the walmart cheapos, and is the safest for your paint

i just put in an order for $100 of microfibers at pakshack to replace some of my really old ones, lol

silvergray
11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
My vote goes to Griots microfibers. Granted, they are more expensive, but its more of a "reassuring" thing for me.

TeutonicCarFan
11-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I don`t know what brand towels these are but they are from detailedimage.com and they are very good and plush

Detailed Image - high end auto detailing products, supplies and how-to articles (http://www.detailedimage.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=166)

MorBid
11-28-2006, 01:08 AM
I`ve been using the Meg`s Gold ones (hehe everything thing from Meg`s is colored Gold) all year and like them. I get em from Pep Boys as Advanced Auto and Parts America don`t carry them.

They`re expensive (about $300 a pc) but hold up real well to washing and are very soft and plushy.

That being said like Accumlator said it will depend on the thickness of the layer of product and maybe the product itself. My summer Carnuba`s come off well with a soft plushy MF but my Winter waxes which are more synthetic tend to need something not as plushy. Otherwise I find myself just moving the wax around instead of removing it.

BigAl3
11-28-2006, 02:15 AM
go to your local k-mart and pick up some viking quick detailing mf (green) towels, they`re excellent! :up

Accumulator
11-28-2006, 11:05 AM
My vote goes to Griots microfibers..

Interesting...wonder if they`ve changed their supplier since the ones I had from them. After they caused micromarring on my Jag`s (admittedly very soft) lacquer I sent them back and I`ve stuck with "higher end" ones ever since. They truly didn`t compare with, e.g., the best offerings from Pakshack, but again, Richard might be selling better ones these days.