PDA

View Full Version : Chasis/Frame/Hardware Rust Prevention

Pages : [1] 2

Dan
11-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Even though I take good care of the rest of the vehicle, it seems an area that I could improve on is the underbody. Every vehicle I get seems to get rust around the hardware and starts getting rust around the frame seams/etc after a few years. I wash the underbody frequently in the winter with a powerwash and soap, but this doesn`t seem to do anything to stop it. Just wondering if there are any good products to use that don`t coat everything in tar.

slippy
11-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I know of a `Home Brew` that my Grandfather used with great sucess that prevents rust,but will also arrest the `spreading` of any that is already present;the mix consisted of,one part Fish Oil (cod liver oil,as it has no fishy smell), one part Boiled Linseed Oil(available from woodworking/hardware places),and one part White Spirits.

He told me that the white spirits was used as the `drying` agent,to semi dry the mixture,although it never really `dries` as such because of the linseed oil.This was applied to a clean, dry surface with a `pump up` Garden sprayer;it has excellent penetrating qualities,and will `creep` into every seam/crevice.

I hope this is of some help to you.

BlueLibby04
11-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Ive been thinking about taking my suspension apart and sanding it then painting all of it.. The spindles, lower and upper a-arms, rear upper A-arm, rear lower control arms, rear axle.. Think that covers it all. :dance

David703
11-23-2006, 03:16 PM
what kind of vehicle do you have?

Dan
11-23-2006, 03:45 PM
It happens to all of mine, doesn`t matter what brand. All of them generally start to look like crap underneath them. The higher up they are, the more easily noticed. Short of hitting them with POR-15 every few years, I`d like to be able to spray some crap around and have it not rust.

Wise85, that sounds out there... no offense meant. I`d probably have neighberhood cats and dogs sniffing around...lol

slippy
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Yakky, no offense taken;i know it may sound weird,and you would rightly assume that because of the Fish Oil, the car would `stink` and attract cats etc, but i can assure you that this mixture does not smell `Fishy`,as the liquid cod liver oil for human consumption is `Deodourised.

Also, my grandfather said that this mixture was/is more often used in Australia,where they have problems with rust on cars that spend a lot of time near the sea coast.Deodourised Fish Oil is actually still sold in Australia as one of the most powerfull rust preventetive products available.

I have applied this mixture to my brothers gf car,which had surface rust on the underside,and this has not spread,or got any worse after 5 years(i re applied after three years)

If you are looking for a rust preventetive that you can spray everywhere on the underside,even on areas where there is some rust allready present....this is the stuff.

imported_Suprchargd
11-23-2006, 05:20 PM
That sounds really interesting. What ratio would the mixture consist of?

CalgaryDetail
11-23-2006, 06:16 PM
get a sacrifican anode or one of those electride thing. Its basic chemestry.

Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.com/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672466&bmUID=1164323697620&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443292139&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true)

this is an example of what im taking about. Bacicly it runs a few electros through your paint to prevent rust with no damage ro your car.

As for a sacrfical anode, search them on google this is a big topic. It is basicly the same as what big ships use to prevent rust

slippy
11-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Suprchargd, equal parts Fish Oil, Boiled linseed Oil,and White Spirits.

gbackus
11-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Automotive International has a very good rust/corrosion inhibitor for body cavities. It even comes in aerosol and is used at the OEM level.

BlueLibby04
11-23-2006, 09:23 PM
what kind of vehicle do you have?

Jeep Liberty with a 2in lift.. Soon to be a 2.5-3in lift.. You can see all that fairly easy. I can have the suspension apart in a couple hours.. Im fairly good at it now.. :)

imported_Larry A
11-23-2006, 09:57 PM
what about rustoleum , primer and semi-flat black. The fish oil blend seems that it would work great. Many years ago some friends would squart #20 motor oil in the body nooks and crannys.

David Fermani
11-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Jeep Liberty with a 2in lift.. Soon to be a 2.5-3in lift.. You can see all that fairly easy. I can have the suspension apart in a couple hours.. Im fairly good at it now.. :)

The only downfall of that is having to get an alignment every time.

salty
11-24-2006, 02:13 AM
I think the magic ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.

I would try Eureka Fluid Film: Corrosion Prevention, Rust Inhibitor and Lubricant Coating (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/)

Eureka Fluid Film: Corrosion Prevention, Rust Inhibitor and Lubricant Coating

slippy
11-24-2006, 07:38 AM
There is some fish oil in WD-40,but it is *very* little.Motor oil has been used for Decades to prevent rust,but it has one major drawback; it is permeable to oxygen,so if it is applied to a surface that is moist,rust will continue to spread,(instead of being stopped),as the air works its way in.