PDA

View Full Version : taking out headlights to sand?

krouchchocolate
11-22-2006, 02:38 AM
Do you guys take out the headlights to wetsand it? If you don`t how do you wetsand it then polish it with the pc?

Another question. Do you guys work you way up on the sanding paper

Example:

1000 grit

1500 grit

2000 grit

Grimm
11-22-2006, 08:33 PM
I`ve heard people do it either way, taking them out or leaving in. Probably depends on how difficult it is to take them out. I saw a post somewhere from someone sanding them, and what they did was each time they stepped up to a finer paper, they sanded in the opposite direction. So with the first paper they went side to side, then with the next went up and down. This way it`s easy to tell when you`ve sanded the previous deep scratches. Then finish up with a polish.

audicoupej
11-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Whatever is easier. If they are recessed then they have to be removed.

Yes you work your way up in grit number. If you search there are several DIY posts that will help.

Five Star
11-23-2006, 03:33 AM
some headlights are actually coated with a film, so test a small spot first.

you should only really have to tape around them, and open the hood

stick around 1500 2000 then 3000. then hit them with a polish.

you can also clearcoat them with a spraycan after, to reduce further oxidation, however you either should remove them or do some serious taping to prevent overspray

jimmybuffit
11-23-2006, 06:37 AM
wetsand it then polish it with the pc?

You won`t remove 2000 grit `tracers` with a PC.

Just won`t happen. You`ll need a rotary, for sure.

Jim

imported_Totoland Mach
11-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Here`s the product I use on pitted headlights and frontal areas of BMW`s.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/541/medium/3Mwetsandingkit.jpg

After sanding, I use Optimum Compound (great stuff...no dusting) on a Festool in rotary mode. This area is just too complex for the DeWalt to use effectively and the Rotex works great.

Following compound polishing, AIO works wonders on headlight covers (as well as the rest of the car).

Totoland Mach

Dan
11-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Jim

I did by hand using 1000, 2000 and Zaino Plastic Polish. Headlights came out beautiful. I took mine out to clean the insides also. You can heat some of the assemblies and they come apart, not something to do without doing a bit of research, but this was a well documented project for my SC300.

krouchchocolate
11-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Jim

so i shouldn`t use 2000 grit?

Five Star
11-24-2006, 12:17 AM
so i shouldn`t use 2000 grit?

just finish with 3000, then u can use the p.c

STG
11-24-2006, 12:28 AM
As Totoland Mach can attest, some cars -like late model Mach1s - have head lights that are very easy to remove. 200 - 2004 Mustangs do not require any tools (it takes longer to disconnect the wiring to the bulb than to remove the entire headlight assembly).

My 2005 Legacy Gt is another story. Not only do you have to get to bolts behind the assemblies, but the front fascia (bumper) and grill must come off.

Naturally, the Mach`s headlight come off for detailing and the subaru`s stay in place.

Just a note: If you remove headlights to sand/polish, spend a few minutes thinking about how you will hold them while polishing. You don`t want to damage them just by handling!

krouchchocolate
11-24-2006, 12:56 AM
When you guys polish it do you use a mf towel to apply the polish or do you use a pad such as the yellow cutting pad from the edge dual action kit since it can remove sanding scratches