PDA

View Full Version : quick and simple advice... need soon

Whitethunder46
11-22-2006, 12:32 AM
My sister is in town and before she heads back home, she want`s her car cleaned.

I`m good on everything, but I`m going to add a layer of NXT Sealant (Only thing I have) to her car to at least protect through winter.

It`s an 02 Accord, dark blue, and shows pretty good swirls. Now I can`t polish or anything like that since I don`t have a Porter Cable yet. I plan on washing with Dawn to get any residue, grime, current wax off there is. Is there anything I should do to the surface before adding NXT to at least protect what she has?

velobard
11-22-2006, 12:39 AM
I`ve never been impressed with the durability of NXT. I like the look and sheeting action, but I found myself reapplying within a month. It might offer some protection beyond that, I was being kinda picky (why else would I be on Autopia ;) ). Unless it`s gonna be renewed over the winter it would be best to find something a little tougher.

Sticking with OTC products, can you find a Carquest or someplace that has some Duragloss wax? 105 or 111 would do pretty well, especially if you can also find their prep product, I can`t remember the number for that. Another possibility would be Collinite. Sometimes you can find it at marine stores.

Eliot Ness
11-22-2006, 12:47 AM
I would suggest that you at least clay (http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80231-detailing-clay-pre-wax-cleaning.html) the car before waxing/sealing.

Envious Eric
11-22-2006, 01:08 AM
yeah, clay and two coats of nxt

Guy
11-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Duragloss or Collinite, both can be found locally sometimes if you are lucky. My experience with NXT, 4 weeks tops of durability.

Whitethunder46
11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
I can only get OTC products since she is only here for a few days and NXT is the only thing I have. I never knew Duragloss was an OTC product, I`ll have to call around.

I admit, I totally forgot about claying, thanks for reminding me. Haha!

Also, any decent OTC wheel cleaner and upholstery stain remover? Any of them should do I guess.

BigAl3
11-22-2006, 03:29 AM
Also, any decent OTC wheel cleaner

excellent stuff! :bigups

http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/AWTC.jpg

Zet
11-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Duragloss or Collinite, both can be found locally sometimes if you are lucky. My experience with NXT, 4 weeks tops of durability.

I agree, even though I`ve had NXT hold up through 2 very rainy months, but I don`t think it would last through an entire winter, atleast not without some kind of booster wax.

tguil
11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Go to the nearest auto store or Wally World and pick up a good cleaner/wax. I suggest Meguiars Cleaner/Wax in the burgandy bottle or Meguiars ColorX. Both are easy to apply and provide fairly good protection. Then wax it again the next time that she is in town.

Tom :cool: