PDA

View Full Version : Help to REMOVE painted pinstripe

Pages : [1] 2

cajunboy
11-21-2006, 03:01 PM
HI, i have an painted pinstripe on my almost one yr old car? It is on top of my paint cause i can see a scratch mark remove a thin line of it. Please help me remove that ugly line. thanks

BobD
11-21-2006, 03:06 PM
SOMETIMES I have been able to remove pinstripe with some compound and awheel or porter cable. However, other times it has taken wet sanding them off and then wheeling the sand marks out.

cajunboy
11-21-2006, 03:15 PM
thanks for the reply, can you tell me what kind of compund or grit?

BobD
11-21-2006, 03:20 PM
thanks for the reply, can you tell me what kind of compund or grit?

That all depends honestly. I want to say the last one I was able to take off with polish I was using Four Star Medium Cut Compound.

tom p.
11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
I watched my local "detailing" shop remove the factory pinstripe from my car. They used oven cleaner - - very cautiously. Polishing is certainly another viable method...prolly takes a bit longer.

Don`t overlook the possibility of ghost lines or actual indentations (like my car) where the painted pinstripes used to be.

MaximusZTS
11-21-2006, 06:22 PM
I saw a pinsripe removal tool over at ADS yeterday.

3M Pinstripe and Decal Remover (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/3MDecalRemover.htm)

brwill2005
11-21-2006, 06:22 PM
They most likely need to be wetsanded off.

David703
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I took one off a bronco I owned with a q-tip and paint thinner. BUT it did take off some of the paint from the bronco.. You have to be really careful. But probably wet sanding is the safest and surest way. (as long as you know how to wet sand)

BlackElantraGT
11-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I didn`t intend nor want this to happen, but with the burgundy cutting pad , Meg`s #83 and a PC at speed 6, I accidentally took off some of my neighbor`s painted pinstriping.

I didn`t pay attention to the fact that it was painted on, not a vinyl or some decal glued on, which I didn`t have a problem with before.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to redo simple 2 line pinstriping?

Grimm
11-21-2006, 09:04 PM
When I practiced on my first, older car, I didn`t tape off the pin stripes (painted over the clearcoat like yours) just to see what would happen. I figured if I took it off I didn`t care because I don`t usually care for pin stripes anyway. I did one pass of Optimum Hyper Compound on an orange pad with my PC on the back end of the rear quarter and I`d dare say it went through at least a third, if not half the thickness of the stripe. I didn`t want to spend more time taking the rest off, so I taped off the rest.

David Fermani
11-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner is the proven, tried and true method to remove painted lettering. It hands down will work. BUT, like all other methods suggested, it will require polishing after. Is your car black?!

cajunboy
11-22-2006, 12:46 AM
my car is crystal white. I might try the oven thing or wet sand it. Still waiting for more idea so i can decide what to do...thanks everyone for their comment

BobD
11-22-2006, 07:41 AM
I saw a pinsripe removal tool over at ADS yeterday.

3M Pinstripe and Decal Remover (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/3MDecalRemover.htm)

That is for decals and adhesive pinstriping. I used to use one of those when I worked at a custom boat trailer builder and they would get repairs in the shop. Those tools work great but I burned a lot of paint with it. It did`t matter because they where getting repainted anyway.

cajunboy
11-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Can someone tell me what #grit to use for wet sand? :thx

jimmybuffit
11-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Does anyone know how much it would cost to redo simple 2 line pinstriping?

In Indy, an experienced tech has been handpainting stripes for 30 years. Yep, he does it freehand, no tricks at all. He uses good ol fashioned lacquer. Trust me, it can be buffed of! He charged me $120 `wholesale` to redo a 5 series BMW.

Dealer charges $450...

When you identify painted pinstripes, I strongly recommend taping them off!

Jim