PDA

View Full Version : removing what I believe to be acid rain etching

antennahead
11-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Hello, I am new here, really enjoying all the knowledge and info. I have an `06 350Z that I purchased in early September. It was manufactured in June of `06. My local dealer had to get this car from another dealer, courtesy swap, didn`t have the color I wanted. From the best of my information, I believe this car sat outside at the original dealer for maybe 6 weeks or so. I have what appears to be acid rain etching on the hood and roof. Yesterday I clay barred the auto, then Maguires sealer and glaze swirl remover, followed by Meguires NXT. Obviously the swirl remover didn`t do the trick, or I wouldn`t be asking your advice :-) I haven`t used a rotary buffer in a few years. Is there a product available that will remove the etching by hand? Has it been too long since the damage occured for me to correct it? Will I need to see a professional and buff it out? I want to make sure I don`t remove the clear coat. Thanks for your advice.

John

ianitrix
11-21-2006, 05:55 AM
I get that on my car all the time but since you just bought the car you should have a two year warranty on that. Check your manual or call your dealership.

Heikes
11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
I don`t think you want to take it to the dealership to fix though. Probably just make things worse. Have you ever used a random orbital like the Porter Cable? Would probably suggest that and a little more abrasive polish than what you were trying. You could also try the FK1 decontamination system, that depends on how severe the water spots. Or, call one of the many, many, many great, experienced detailers from this sight in your area and have them fix it.

antennahead
11-21-2006, 09:52 PM
I don`t think you want to take it to the dealership to fix though. Probably just make things worse. Have you ever used a random orbital like the Porter Cable? Would probably suggest that and a little more abrasive polish than what you were trying. You could also try the FK1 decontamination system, that depends on how severe the water spots. Or, call one of the many, many, many great, experienced detailers from this sight in your area and have them fix it.

Thanks, I may have an experienced detailer do it. I assume removing by hand with a more abrasive polish may not work, sounds like an orbital machine is needed.

skitelluride531
11-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Where are you located? You could probably find some on Autopia who could take care of it for you.

antennahead
11-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Where are you located? You could probably find some on Autopia who could take care of it for you.

Charleston, SC

I`ve been reading and learning about the Porter 7424, may have to invest in one :-)

BigJimZ28
11-21-2006, 11:00 PM
is it etching or hardwater spots?

try this take a mf and soak it with vinager and lay it on

one of the spots for 20 min. then dry and see if it went away at all

it is worth a try!

antennahead
11-21-2006, 11:04 PM
is it etching or hardwater spots?

try this take a mf and soak it with vinager and lay it on

one of the spots for 20 min. then dry and see if it went away at all

it is worth a try!

I`m reasonably sure it`s etching, a result of the car sitting out in the open on the dealers lot for about 6 weeks to 2 months prior to my purchase. Rain allowed to sit and dry, time and time again.

BigJimZ28
11-21-2006, 11:27 PM
try it ........ it could work

David Fermani
11-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Is there a product available that will remove the etching by hand? Has it been too long since the damage occured for me to correct it? Will I need to see a professional and buff it out?

No - You need to use a rotary.

No - It isn`t too late/it can be done.

Yes - See a pro that has done it before. Have him do a partial spot and see what it looks like.

Without looking at it, your best bet is to wet sand the tops down and 4 step buff.

Nurser
05-27-2007, 02:09 AM
What is an "mf" soaked in Vinegar?

David Fermani
05-27-2007, 06:50 AM
MF = Micro Fiber towel. Alot of people think that any time you touch your car, this is the only type of towel you should use. Sometimes it can be overkill.

joshtpa
05-27-2007, 06:55 AM
^^^^^

Very well said.

wannafbody
05-27-2007, 07:42 AM
How deep is the etching? Is it over the entire car? Wetsanding and buffing may remove them. I`d also check with the dealer about the paint warranty. I had a 94 Mustang that was repainted under warranty because it was etched so badly after 6 months.