PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar!? Pffff....

WuNgUn
04-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Well, I`ve had my Mothers clay bar system sitting here for awhile now, so I decided to give it a try on my SVT Focus...
I followed the directions to a tee, doing a 2Ft. square section of my hood...
The clay bar slides over the finish as smooth as you like...
No grabbiness, or `sound` of contamination whatsoever!!
So I tried another section...same result
It looks like either my finish is spotless (3 years old, and doesn`t LOOK spotless) or the clay isn`t doing sh_t...
Any idea`s?
How many strokes should I be doing in a section?

Bob
04-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, I`ve had my Mothers clay bar system sitting here for awhile now, so I decided to give it a try on my SVT Focus...
I followed the directions to a tee, doing a 2Ft. square section of my hood...
The clay bar slides over the finish as smooth as you like...
No grabbiness, or `sound` of contamination whatsoever!!
So I tried another section...same result
It looks like either my finish is spotless (3 years old, and doesn`t LOOK spotless) or the clay isn`t doing sh_t...
Any idea`s?
How many strokes should I be doing in a section?

I never count the strokes. I just use it until the serface is smooth.

mr2man
04-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Id try lightening up the lube a TINY bit. Not too much or youll streak the hell outa your paint. Like Bob said above, dont count the strokes, just the results! :headbang

WuNgUn
04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Thats the thing...it already `feels` smooth, right from the first stroke...
The directions say to use very light pressure, and I did...then I tried with a little more pressure, and more strokes, just to be sure...
The bar glides over the finish very easily, without `snagging` or any sorta resistance...
Did I just waste my money with this stuff?

Beemerboy
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Get a plastic sandwich bag and put on your hand plam side down, rub the top of the car and if it feel bumpy you might need clay. I have sone this for customers that do not understand what clay can do.

You might have a bit ot much lube on the surface as well hard to say. Most all the times that I am using clay you can see it turn a bit brown that`s when you know that its lifting the surface crap.

That`s my .02

JaredPointer
Did the portion of the clay in contact with your hood look like it had "turned color?" Maybe went from a bright yellow to a more dim shade? Did it have brown coloring around the edges? That would be a sign that it`s picking up contamination from the surface of the paint.

Waxxy
I have used the Mother`s clay bar system before, and it worked for me. I don`t "count" the strokes, I just keep on going until the surface feels smooth and there is no resistance when going over a spot. Currently I am using the Auto Magic brand of clay (blue/fine grade).

I believe the OCD Pharmacy website has a page on how to clay... its pretty good; outlining why you should clay your car and how to do it - check it out! http://www.ocdpharmacy.com/wharethbrdoo.html.

Good luck!

mtwedt
04-14-2005, 01:34 PM
What did the clay look like after you did an entire section? There should be colored material on the clay if it is picking up stuff from your finish. A well maintained finish will have less discoloration from contaiminents in the finish, but I have yet to clay without some stuff being picked up.

WuNgUn
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
The clay looked the same...just yellow...
Sit tight fella`s, I`m gonna go do another couple of sections right now...with a little less ID, and see how that turns out...
:bow

Bob
04-14-2005, 01:41 PM
The clay looked the same...just yellow...
Sit tight fella`s, I`m gonna go do another couple of sections right now...with a little less ID, and see how that turns out...
:bow

If the paint feels smooth to the touch then it did it`s job. Could just be that your paint doesn`t need it or is not that bad. I have seen brand new cars need clay and have seen 3 year old cars not need it. It all depends on many conditions.

WuNgUn
04-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Okay...with a little less `lube`, I could hear a slight `slushing` sound over the finish, but I think maybe that was just from the liquid getting pushed around...when I pushed a little harder, the sound stopped.
And it only grabbed when I hit a section with too little lube (I think).
I looked at the clay, and there wasn`t any discolouration, apart from maybe my fingerprints...maybe I should wear gloves when I knead it?
However, since I have the product already, I might as well do the car, whether it needs it or not, right?
I won`t be doing a polish/seal today...should I wait and do the whole `9` in one day, or would it be okay to go a couple/few days without finishing?

chris03tl
04-14-2005, 02:53 PM
The first time I used a clay product, I didnt encounter much resistance gliding the clay over the paint (well taken care of), UNTIL I started doing to rocker molding/lower quarter panel areas. Thats where the clay became one of my favorite products. Gone was sitting there with bug and tar remover trying to get every small speck of junk off. The clay kinda just sucked it into the bar and kept moving.

I dont know if you`ve tried the lower parts of your car yet, but you might find them a little (or a lot, depending) harder than the higher parts of the car that are spared from the harsher "road cr*p").

-Chris

YellarStang99
04-14-2005, 03:29 PM
yes, when I bought my car it was already 6 yrs old and clearly had never had a caring owner before.

The only parts that really needed claying very badly were the lower sections and the rear bumper for me. The rest was pretty much contaminate free (for the most part).