PDA

View Full Version : ONR at the coin-op - a disappointment in the first go round

Pages : [1] 2

abbeysdad
11-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Background:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/79588-onr-rules.html

In searching for the best way to keep the vehicles protected and clean through the evil northeastern winters...about 6 months of cold, snow and SALT!

ONR seems like the ticket and I`m sold with the product.

But, I also know that there will be those week-end days that are just too cold for the regular ONR wash in the unheated garage. So, I was thinking that the gallon sprayer w/ONR and the coin-op might be an option (as it`s faster - just don`t want to use their harsh soap).

I went to the coin-op, sprayed her down with ONR and set the wash to RINSE. The lower panels were covered with dirty road spray that had dried on. ONR and the power wash on rinse were no match for this grime, that just sat there.

I came home defeated and did a regular ONR wash.

If the ONR / coin-op is to work, I`ll need something (like a mitt or brush) to get stubborn dirt in suspension before the rinse. I think I`ll take my brush next time. I`m also thinking that with this method, I may want a slightly higher concentration of ONR in the spray mix - perhaps 4-6oz ONR/1 gal water (closer to QD concentration).

Still think I`m on the right track, just need process improvement.

mg031
11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Yeah, washing your car in wintertime in the NorthEast = :( :angry :bolt

I do the same think at the coin-op with the only difference is i spray rinse (water only) down the car first to get off most of the debris / dirt and then i will use ONR. I use the 2 bucket method though i think i will switch to your method using the pump sprayer. That seems much easier and prob a bit better for my cold hands.

Sergei
11-20-2006, 01:21 PM
The thought of spreading dirt around with a mitt or brush... It would bother me, but I am glad you guys are pioneering this and working out the kinks. :-)

TortoiseAWD
11-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, washing your car in wintertime in the NorthEast = :( :angry :bolt

I do the same think at the coin-op with the only difference is i spray rinse (water only) down the car first to get off most of the debris / dirt and then i will use ONR. I use the 2 bucket method though i think i will switch to your method using the pump sprayer. That seems much easier and prob a bit better for my cold hands.This is pretty much what I do as well (`cept with QEW rather than ONR, which I still need to try) . . . I power wash off any heavy grime, then use QEW with warm water and two buckets. It`s worked well for me for the last few Nebraska winters, and our DOT isn`t skimpy with the salt or sand.

Tort

deadlock32
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
yeah, ONR is great but you should always do it proplery... a lot of those coin op use heated water in the winter, find one that does and you`ll be set with the 2 bucket method.

If you are using standard buckeds with lids, pick up an extra lid and cut a small hole in the middle, so when you spray the water in, it doesnt go all over the place = ]

imported_SHICKS
11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
You have to believe in the ONR force. Seriously I was a skeptic, this stuff really does work. I washed 2 of the dirtiest cars ever yesterday with 2 buckets in the garage. These cars had not been washed in months or even years. The ONR took the grime off no problem with out marring, although the cars got a through polishing afterwards. I was very impressed. Of course use common sense, you can`t dump a bucket of sand on the hood, then expect ONR to magically lift it off. :bow

Steve

The thought of spreading dirt around with a mitt or brush... It would bother me, but I am glad you guys are pioneering this and working out the kinks. :-)

Juztang
11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
I just did a F150 Black Supercrew this morning that was pretty dirty. I used the ONR with no problem. I use it more than conventional washes now. Great stuff!

Evenflow
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Hows this stuff compare with QEW?

Juztang
11-20-2006, 03:11 PM
I have used the QEW and prefer the ONR over it. I think more and more people are switching to ONR.

tom p.
11-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Abbey, I think it`s good to have this as a data point. I appreciate your report.

Wasn`t the car "somewhat" cleaner? While I can clearly see it wouldn`t be perfect, I`d think getting the bad stuff off would at least be a "feel good" thing, no?

imported_SHICKS
11-20-2006, 03:25 PM
I think I ordered a gallon from you last week, where is it? :laugh: Can`t wait for more:bounce

:xyxthumbs

Steve

I just did a F150 Black Supercrew this morning that was pretty dirty. I used the ONR with no problem. I used it more than conventional washes now. Great stuff!

fdizzle
11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Background:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/79588-onr-rules.html

In searching for the best way to keep the vehicles protected and clean through the evil northeastern winters...about 6 months of cold, snow and SALT!

ONR seems like the ticket and I`m sold with the product.

But, I also know that there will be those week-end days that are just too cold for the regular ONR wash in the unheated garage. So, I was thinking that the gallon sprayer w/ONR and the coin-op might be an option (as it`s faster - just don`t want to use their harsh soap).

I went to the coin-op, sprayed her down with ONR and set the wash to RINSE. The lower panels were covered with dirty road spray that had dried on. ONR and the power wash on rinse were no match for this grime, that just sat there.

I came home defeated and did a regular ONR wash.

If the ONR / coin-op is to work, I`ll need something (like a mitt or brush) to get stubborn dirt in suspension before the rinse. I think I`ll take my brush next time. I`m also thinking that with this method, I may want a slightly higher concentration of ONR in the spray mix - perhaps 4-6oz ONR/1 gal water (closer to QD concentration).

Still think I`m on the right track, just need process improvement.

i didnt know you could just spray onr on the vehicle and then rinse and dry . . . i always use it with a wash mit, 2 bucket method....

i like the spray bottle idea. . . . you could keep the soloution pre mixed with litte waste . . .

that grime isnt coming off of your car even with the high pressure at the coin op ? wow, you must have some pretty rough junk on your roads . . . .

good luck:nixweiss

tom p.
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
I think abbey is using this strategy for those days when it`s too cold and the spray car wash is the most one can tolerate....

fdizzle
11-20-2006, 03:39 PM
i see . . . . forgive me for being naieve - im in cali. "cold" here is 50 degrees . .

tom p.
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
i see . . . . forgive me for being naieve - im in cali. "cold" here is 50 degrees . .

:) No problemo.

You haven`t lived `til you`ve been to the spray car wash, had your doors freeze in the closed position and have your suspension locked in place by freezing water!!! Now those were the days ! :grinno: