PDA

View Full Version : product application Q

TeutonicCarFan
11-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I am going to do my car soon and I was planning on going

IP/FPII/HD Cleanse/Zymol

After talking to someone very knowledgable about the products through usage and research, it seemed best, because Zymol, although visually spectacular, does not last as long, so I will use a less expensive product such as Souveran because I don`t want to be `throwing away` the Zymol EG! I would usually say looks all day over longevity and durability because I apply product often however in the buffalo winter this is not the case, we rarely get to see our cars! So this is what I plan on doing, and I am wondering, what will look the best out of the next to processes, any and all comments welcome.

IP/FPII/FMJ (x2?)/Souveran

OR

IP/FPII/Souveran (x2)

Just wondering which will look better. Any other ideas welcome :)

audicoupej
11-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Go with IP/FPII/FMJ (x2?)/Souveran

You need the FMJ to protect through the Buffalo winters. I went to UB and have battled the winters. FMJx3 with one HGAS application lasted from late October last year until May when I topped it with collonite until I had time to detail again. That was going 3-4 weeks without washes or longer.

Here is a link to my g/f`s Uniblack Rabbit with FMJ x 2 and Souveran for an idea of the looks:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/77614-ferrari-c5-g-fs-new-car.html?highlight=rabbit

Eliot Ness
11-20-2006, 12:08 PM
........I would usually say looks all day over longevity and durability because I apply product often however in the buffalo winter this is not the case, we rarely get to see our cars! .......If you want protection from Buffalo winters I wouldn`t count on Souveran. Don`t get me wrong, I love Souveran, but it is a beauty wax that I wouldn`t use for protection for even our winter conditions.

The best protection you can get in a wax is also not very expensive. Throw some Collinite (http://www.mactecllc.com/collinite.asp) 476S or 885 (same as 476 but a different can) on there for max protection. Their 845 is also very good, but you`ll get a little longer protection from the 476/885, but 845 might hold the edge on looks.

TeutonicCarFan
11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Go with IP/FPII/FMJ (x2?)/Souveran

You need the FMJ to protect through the Buffalo winters. I went to UB and have battled the winters. FMJx3 with one HGAS application lasted from late October last year until May when I topped it with collonite until I had time to detail again. That was going 3-4 weeks without washes or longer.

Here is a link to my g/f`s Uniblack Rabbit with FMJ x 2 and Souveran for an idea of the looks:

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/77614-ferrari-c5-g-fs-new-car.html?highlight=rabbit

Thanks for the link...great details. I was wondering how long you let the FMJ cure until you applied the next coat and then the souveran...Thanks

P.S. I notice your g/fs car, besides being a stick, props, is from NY. Is she a buffalonian?

lbls1
11-22-2006, 12:13 AM
I hope that I got to this post in time. At the risk of sounding biased, you will be missing a lot if you decide to skip on the Zymol.

The myth that is going around about Zymol not lasting a decent amount of time is false. Period. You can definitely believe me on this one. Before you throw away the Souveran, do this for your curiosity. With that same polish team on the same car, compare half of the hood (or adjacent panels) with the souveran against your EGZymol. I will wager that the difference could be astonishing.

However, you may have a bit of a dilemma (sp) if you are starting out right now, and if this car is outside. You will really benefit from the Zymol if you can allow it to cure on your paint for at least one week without interruption from rain or soap (or salt....forbid). You can be in fair shape in terms of longevity if you can manage to accumulate 3 to 5 layers of Zymol, spaced out at least one week at a time, on your car.

If you really think that the weather and time will impede your efforts, then just go with your instincts, and wait until the warm season (my traditional start of my wax season is from April 20th to Nov. 1st; On my daily driver I will usually sneek a few more coats until Dec. when the weather will no longer permit waxing. The daily driver doesn`t use Zymol though.) to try out your EGZymol.

Good luck and share some pics if possible!

imported_Bence
11-22-2006, 02:27 AM
Yep, Lester has spoken!

Layered pure carnaubas are surprisingly durable. If you want an old-fashioned, true, pure wax and you still want to conserve your monetary reserves, try the Victoria Waxes. They`ll give you virtually the same attributes as Zymöl for significantly less money.

Throw a mail to David Wyllie Sr. when you visit their site (www.victoriawax.com), tell him that Bence from Hungary sent you. He is a true gentleman with fantastic insights. I`m sure that you`ll be satisfied.

slippy
11-22-2006, 04:29 AM
I couldn`t agree more; the Victoria Concours competes with any of the Zymol Estate Glazes,and the Swissol waxes, plus, David Wyllie sr. truly is a rare breed.