PDA

View Full Version : Don`t want to repeat the past...

Pages : [1] 2

saab93
11-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I just got a brand new black Jag X-Type to replace my black Saab 93. I polished and waxed the 93 every 3 months with Klasse AIO and P21S, never a day late. I also washed the car every Saturday morning, again never missing a day. After all of this, the car had the WORST visible acid rain spots all over. It got to the point where I started to hate polishing the car because it just brought out the damage more when the car was clean and shiny. I tried the impossible to remove the spots, no hope. Well, now its someone else`s problem.

What I need to know for the Jag is how to prevent the same from happening. I know black cars are hard to maintain, but I only love black cars. From your own experience, is Klasse good enough to "help" against resisting acid rain damage, or are there better products? What else should I use alongside of it. I know P21S is merely a prettiness product and adds minimal protection which I`ll continue to use, but should I also use something stronger that P21S?

Might be worth mentioning that the Saab was in Pittsburgh for 4 years, which is known as a city with highly concentrated level of acid rain. I`m in the DC area now, :usa so it should be better, I hope...

slippy
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
I would suggest that you carefully evaluate the finish, to determine if it does have any acid rain etching(or anything else), before you plan your process.

There is nothing wrong with Klasse AIO, or P21s,but they will do nothing to help a paint finish that already has acid rain etching,they will just cover it up somewhat.

If your Jag does have etching, you will have to use some type of `abrasive` polish in order to remove/ reduce it, depending on its severity.

I agree about P21s being more of a `show` wax, i never found it to protect really well, but it is quite popular.I would advise you to use one of the collinite waxes as your wax `topper` instead of the P21s as they protect/ last much longer.Your choice of polish will be better determined by your method of application, hand or machine.

saab93
11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
The Jag has flawless paint right now, and my primary concern is how to keep it that way. I know AIO is a great product and comes highly recommended, but after my experience with the Saab, I am reluctant to count on it for protection alone. I was reading some posts and it seems Zaino is a favorite by many. Thoughts?

Let me put it this way, please give me your recommendations for products to use (polish, sealant, wax).

Eliot Ness
11-20-2006, 11:08 AM
The Jag has flawless paint right now, and my primary concern is how to keep it that way. I know AIO is a great product and comes highly recommended, but after my experience with the Saab, I am reluctant to count on it for protection alone. I was reading some posts and it seems Zaino is a favorite by many. Thoughts?.....AIO is a good paint cleaner and prep for Klasse SG (and many other products) but it doesn`t really offer long lasting or very durable protection. I would suggest topping AIO with about 4 layers of SG (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kus-kls-gla.html) and then top with a wax if you wish. Zaino is also one of the more durable sealants out there and the new formulations look very, very nice. Two other long lasting sealants that get good reviews here are the JW products (Prime, AJ and Trigger) (http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/products.php) as well as Duragloss.

You really can`t go wrong if you choose any of the 4 sealants mentioned, but I have recently tried Zaino (Z-5/ZFX) and have been really impressed with the results. One feature I like about Zaino is the ability to apply 3 applications in one day when using ZFX.

imported_steveo3002
11-20-2006, 11:17 AM
imo the p21s was not the right choice to last 3 months

i would either top the aio with multiple layers or sealant glaze and / or top with collinite 476

Thomas Dekany
11-20-2006, 11:49 AM
if the paint is in perfect condition, you can use aio.

To PROTECT IT: FK1 # 2180 topped with FK1 #1000 End of story.

Here is an example for you. :D:D:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/2006/Picture1193.jpg

saab93
11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
WOW, that`s a nice car & detail job.

Ok, what I am hearing is that I definitely need to start using Z-5 Pro with ZFX.

So how can I also leverage some of my existing inventory? Can I use these in conjunction with Z-5? What else do I still need?

- AIO (20% full)

- Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (90% full)

- P21S (50% full)

Thanks.

Eliot Ness
11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
........Can I use these in conjunction with Z-5? What else do I still need?

- AIO (20% full)

- Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (90% full)

- P21S (50% full).....You can still use AIO as a base for Z-5 and AIO comes in handy to clean up a lot of stuff (trim, chrome, glass, etc.). P21S can still be used as a topper if you want to try it over Z-5, but you might just find it hard to beat Z-5 with a follow-up spray of Z-8 after the first wash. UPP doesn`t really have a place if you`re going to the Z system. You can use it when you do cars for friends and family.
What else do I still need? If you need to remove any defects (marring/hazing) then order some Z-PC. Also order some Z-6, Z-8, and, Z-7 (might not need it, but it is a good wash to use with Z) along with your Z-5 and ZFX. The Zaino Store (http://www.zainostore.com/) also has some kits you might want to consider, but think about it and order everything at one time because they have a flat $8.95 shipping charge. It might seem like a lot of $$$ to get started on the Z system but it will last a long time and look great.

If the $$$$ for all the Z scare you away then just go with several applications of SG (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kus-kls-gla.html) on top of your AIO. Or you can try the Duragloss line (do a search) or the FK (http://www.fk1usa.com/) products that tdekany likes to use.

There really are a lot of good looking and durable products for you to choose from.

deadlock32
11-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I would suggest topping AIO with about 4 layers of SG (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kus-kls-gla.html).

I dunno, 4 layers is pretty excessive... anything past 3 layers I think is a load... and 3 layers is kinda questionable.

You may have applied it 3 times or more... but is it really layered up that much? we may never know = P

Eliot Ness
11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I dunno, 4 layers is pretty excessive... anything past 3 layers I think is a load... and 3 layers is kinda questionable.

You may have applied it 3 times or more... but is it really layered up that much? we may never know = PIf you let SG cure properly I think it is a pretty easy sealer to use between 4 to 6 layers with. One layer sure didn`t last near as long as 4 for me, plus when I did a test panel I thought it started looking better after the 3rd and 4th layer (this was on silver, and the rest of the car had 1 layer). I never went past #4 and it held up pretty well that winter.

I think it was Accumulator who put six layers on his MPV and it lasted a year or longer. I guess like anything else YMMV.

Layering is a topic that has different opinions and a lot of it (I think) depends on the product and how it is used. The following thread, if you haven`t read it already, expresses a wide range of thought on the subject:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/79831-layering-marketing-based-myth-reality.html

Zet
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
I don`t think the issue is so much what sealant to use, rather that 3 months is to long between applications since you live in an area with acid rain.

The Four Star UPP you already have would also protect a lot better than just AIO + P21S, might wanna start out with that?

Collinite also has a very good reputation for durability, and a lot of people here use it during the winter. Plus with this you don`t need to buy a whole Zhipment of products ;)

Another thing that will help is using a spray wax from time to time after washing. Aquawax and Optimum Car Wax are both spray waxes, and are really easy to use. With those you can add an extra layer of protection in just five minutes.

imported_Gears
11-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Regardless of what LSP you use to protect your car you have already done the most protective thing possible. You moved away from Pittsburgh. I live in Western PA. and I`m constantly fighting with acid rain etching and water spots. One of the cars in my family that I care for lives in the DC area. This neglected vehicle gets waxed twice a year and washed only by the rain.

After 3 years the paint looks perfect, except for the huge number of dings and dents.

No acid rain etching and no water spots.

Dan
11-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Saab to Jag... that`s like jumping out of the pot into the fire..lol Just kidding. Like the others have mentioned, no real fallout issues in the DC area. I like Zaino. Unlike people that shuffle around in their search for the perfect stuff, I`ve stuck with Zaino on one vehicle for almost 7 years. The paint looks like new with no polishing and maybe 2 or 3 clayings in between. The stuff lasts 6 mos. outdoors 24/7 and looks great too.

imported_Bence
11-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Quite often, a heavy wax protects better than sealants against bird poo and acid rain. Thumbsup for Collinite or FK1!

Dan
11-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Quite often, a heavy wax protects better than sealants against bird poo and acid rain. Thumbsup for Collinite or FK1!

Maybe in a cold climate. Once temps hit 80+ and the temperature of the car surface is hot enough to fry eggs on, the wax is gone after a few rain showers.