PDA

View Full Version : The most durable SEALANT you have ever used?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Whitethunder46
11-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I`m on a mission to find a very long lasting sealant, NOT a wax. It can have cleaning agents in the product, but let me know if it does please.

Also, I want to be able to use it DIRECTLY after polishing with no bonding agents. Also, with no topper either, just the sealant. And what`s the cure time?

So, what is your longest lasting sealant you`ve used?

wannafbody
11-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Z A I N O- it can be used without ZFX but ZFX is beneficial for faster cure time and tighter crosslinking. Duragloss 105 is also pretty good. Either Z8 or AW for extra gloss is reccomended.

masten2k7
11-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Menzerna FMJ...did the ZAINO thing for years (good also)

wannafbody
11-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Menzerna FMJ...did the ZAINO thing for years (good also)

unless you`ve used Z5pro and Z8 you haven`t really used the GOOD Zaino:up

ashsarna
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Duragloss 105, cures in 4 hours with the right humidity. I usually wait 12 hrs. Chemical Guys FS Seal is also great and long lasting, with no toppers like AW or Z8 or any other spray wax (which I feal do not allow you to measure true durability). FS cures within 20 minutes to half an hour in cold weather, faster in warmer weather:bounce .

imported_GregCavi
11-19-2006, 10:11 PM
The Zaino system hands down. Having killer looks and durability in Z5pro and Z8 is great.

Greg

imported_Bence
11-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Carlack LLS, FK1 2180, but more importantly, what are your objectives? Will you do a single or a multi coat application? How will be the finish maintained? What type of appearance do you want? Why do you want a sealant specifically?

velobard
11-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Carlack LLS, FK1 2180, but more importantly, what are your objectives? Will you do a single or a multi coat application? How will be the finish maintained? What type of appearance do you want? Why do you want a sealant specifically?

Bence, I`m shocked you didn`t even mention 1000P. I`ve had a sampler tin of it sitting in my basement for months, waiting for my car to go long enough after each of its paint jobs this year that I can finally try it out. So far I`m about 8 days and counting since the last job, but it`s going in for a final touch-up on a spot tomorrow so I`ll have to start counting again.

Glossmaster
11-19-2006, 10:37 PM
To be realistic, there will always some type of "post prep" performed directly after polishing inorder to use a sealant directly after polishing. Most sealants will not bond effectively to polishing oils left behind. A simple 50/50 IPA-water wipe down does the trick. Or in some cases, a good QD wipe down. You could also use Klasse AIO post polishing as a base for any product, albeit a sealant or wax. With that being said.......Based upon my experience, Zaino is the most durable sealant I`ve ever used, by far. Don`t be affraid of mixing a few drops of ZFX with Z5 Pro or Z2 Pro. A simple 90 second shake of the ZFX`d Zaino is hardly a chore. Well worth it! In addition, Zaino really doesn`t require a topper on it`s own merits. A good QD spray is all you need to maintain the finish. Z6 and or Z8 is all you need for post washing clean ups. Heck, any quality QD will do ( #425, Quickshine etc.) if you`re just planning on applying a sealant once & maintaining the initial application for the months to follow. When applied properly, expect 6+ months of premium durability from the "Z".

But the question remains for most of us...........Can "Autopians" really keep our hands off our vehicles long enough to see the "end" of Zaino`s durability??(lol)

There are plenty of quality sealants out there, that I`ve used. And I don`t want to "slight" any of them. FMJ,UPP,KSG,AJ,CG FS& CG MS, #21 etc..... are all quality products. But if your looking for my personal opinion, Zaino`s the one! (atleast until RDF comes out.)

TeutonicCarFan
11-19-2006, 10:54 PM
How long does it take to cure FMJ. I just purchased the Menzerna line of products and I plan on doing IP/FPII/FMJ then Souveran.

I would like to do FMJx2, how long should I wait inbetween and should I wipe with anything? Also, how long should I wait between applying Souveran?

Whitethunder46
11-20-2006, 12:55 AM
The reason I ask is I`m starting to finalize my auto detailing business/side gig plans for next year. This is only a side thing, so I only expect to do 10 cars AT MOST a month.

I plan on offering a 3 month sealant or so, and then a long lasting sealant (charge more) and hopefully get around 6 months out of this.

I plan on using XMT polishing compounds. Will only be one coat of sealant, and only post work maintenance that would be done would be by me if the customer so chooses.

If the finish was LSP ready after polishing, it is ok to use a QD before a long lasting sealant? (I`ve heard great things about DG #105, so I was thinking them before the mentioned Zaino.)

XMT Glaze would cause bonding problems between either one of these sealants, correct? Should I use nothing, XMT Glaze, Duragloss`s bonding agent, or Klasse AIO before the final sealant?

percynjpn
11-20-2006, 05:34 AM
For durability, Z2PRO (haven`t tried the Z5).

imported_Bence
11-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Bence, I`m shocked you didn`t even mention 1000P. I`ve had a sampler tin of it sitting in my basement for months, waiting for my car to go long enough after each of its paint jobs this year that I can finally try it out. So far I`m about 8 days and counting since the last job, but it`s going in for a final touch-up on a spot tomorrow so I`ll have to start counting again.

Velo, he specified no wax (I know, that 1000P is rather a sealant than wax...), no catalyst, no topper.

PS: As I heard, the Cyclo sealant is pretty durable. Maybe Bob Daniels can chime in on this...

TigerMike
11-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Zaino and Duragloss 105 for me, seem nearly equal in terms of durability, from my experience.

porta
11-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Cyclo sealant is a very good sealant! IMO more durable then FMJ, M-seal, MG21 and etc.

You can buy in gallon as well.