PDA

View Full Version : Towel & Applicator Care

Upscale Detail
11-19-2006, 02:38 PM
When I was a kid, I remember waxing dad`s car with Vista paste wax, using an old kitchen sponge (donated by my mother) as an applicator. Drying and buffing consisted of worn terrycloth scraps with frayed edges and my dad’s old flannel pajamas that had been cut up into handy little squares. The word “microfiber†was not in the dictionary, and everything got washed in hot water with industrial-strength detergent and bleach.

Today’s technology and vast array of polishes, waxes, paint cleansers, cut levelers, and one-step products require us to choose specific applicator, buffing and drying tools to achieve optimal results. In addition, we may often need to use multiple products, and multiple tools, to address a single task. I suggest “multiple tools†because car care chemicals should not be mixed on an applicator or pad as this may have negative results or diminish a product’s effectiveness. For example, if you are trying to remove a fairly serious scratch, you will likely need at least two polishing pads to get the job doneâ€â€one for your more aggressive polish and one for your final polish. With this comes the added chore of cleaning and caring for these tools in a way that will not take up an entire afternoon, cost a fortune in cleaning products, or require a PhD.

An applicator is defined as “a device used to apply a substance to a surface.†Car detailing applicators may be terrycloth, microfiber, wool, even chenille or sponge. Each type of applicator has one or more specialties and cross functions. Should there be any doubt that times have changed, Webster defines a towel as “usually a rectangular piece of absorbent cloth or paper to dry the body or to dry dishes in the kitchen.†God help the poor soul who even THINKS about taking my microfiber towels into the kitchen! Towels have a very different connotation today to the car enthusiast, and indeed require more specialized care.

Cleaning Applicators

Does your washing machine have an appetite for your applicators? Applicators can be hand or machine washed, but there is a correct way to do both.

In general, soaking (up to an hour) then hand washing your pads and applicators in a bucket with warm water and a cleaner, such as Sonüs Der Wunder Wasche, or liquid dish washing detergent is the safest way wash applicators. A detergent is required to completely break down the chemicals, especially if they dry on the applicator.

When hand washing machine polishing pads, I like to put a small amount of detergent on the pad and work-up a nice lather to loosen the embedded polish, wax, or cleaner before rinsing well. When washing wool pads in a bucket, the addition of a teaspoon or so of vinegar in the rinse water helps ensure a thorough removal of any remaining cleaner from the wool fibers. Your foam, microfiber, and wool pads will dry faster if you prop them up at an angle so any remaining moisture can easily escape.

For some, machine washing has been known to wreak havoc with foam polishing pads as well as create an opportunity for a hook and loop backing to attach itself to your favorite sweater. The newer washers generally have a “hand wash†or delicate cycle that can do an effective job of cleaning your polishing pads and applicators and of rinsing to remove any embedded product. My washer has an “Extra Rinse†feature that I use every time to ensure the pad is free of residue. Some experts advise to never machine dry. As a rule, this is true; however, I have had good success using a cool or “air dry†setting on my dryer. If in doubt about your machine`s behavior, hand wash. I like a clean, fresh pad before undertaking any car care job, so I wash mine after every use.

Another suggestion for the machine wash approach has been to put your polishing pads or applicators into a zipped mesh bag such as the ones shown below. You can obtain these for only a few dollars at most grocery and discount stores such as Wal-Mart and Target. The mesh bag will keep the washing machine agitator from beating up or completely eating your pads.

http://guidetodetailing.com/images/pad-applicator-care.jpg

A simple mesh laundry bag allows applicator pads to be machine washed without fear of being shredded by the agitator.

Cleaning Microfiber Towels

While there are still a lot of avid chamois users, most car enthusiasts are quickly becoming fans of microfiber (see Microfiber: Myths, Truth and Technology). With this comes the question of how best to care for microfiber towels. As with applicators, the construction, weave (e.g. Waffle Weave towels) and fiber dictate how best to clean your towels.

If you read the care tag on most microfiber products, it clearly states "Do Not Use Bleach", "Do Not Use Fabric Softener" and "Do Not Wash In Hot Water". Bleach will quickly destroy the microfiber fabric by causing it to pre-maturely break down. Fabric softeners clogs the microfiber strands, reducing absorbency and cleaning ability. Hot water causes the microfibers to shrink, reducing absorbency and softness. Fortunately, there are good alternatives to bleach and fabric softeners when cleaning microfiber products.

Microfiber products can easily be washed in the machine using a mild detergent or a variety of products such as Sonüs Der Wunder Wasche, added to your wash load being certain avoiding the use of fabric softeners (that reduce absorbency) or bleach. Microfiber should always be separated from other materials to be cleaned, such as terrycloth, that produce lint. The lint will stick to the microfiber like glue and come back to haunt you the next time you use that towel on your car, so save those for another load.

Sonüs Der Wunder Wasche, and other products like it, are strong detergents that contain cleaning agents that work best on grease, silicones, oils and waxes found in car care products. The difference between these special cleaners and your typical clothes washing detergent is the concentration level and absence of fabric softeners, bleaches and sudsing agents used in common household wash detergents. Make no mistake, Sonüs Der Wunder Wasche is a very concentrated formula. Be careful not to get it on you skin in its concentrated form.

If you want your microfiber towels to feel soft and fluffy, as if you had used a fabric softener, use distilled white vinegar in the final rinse water. Vinegar, being a mild acid, counteracts and neutralizes any remaining detergent. Your microfiber will feel softer and fluffier, and they will retain their like-new properties much longer. You can use up to a full cup (8 oz.) in the final rinse.

Common Sense

You wouldn’t put your best cashmere sweater in with your dirty blue jeans, would you? Similarly, separate your applicators and towels to be cleaned by fiber content and construction. Take into consideration that, with the exception of sponge applicators, your hand applicators generally have a foam inner core, so lukewarm to cool temperatures and gentle cleaners will always prevent unnecessary damage and premature wear. With proper care and cleaning along with a little common sense these amazing tools will give you years of help in enhancing your car’s beauty.