PDA

View Full Version : Summer vs. Winter

FirstOne
11-19-2006, 10:56 AM
It`s been a while since I posted but I`ve been doing a lot of reading. My question is a winter detail different than a spring or summer detail. I`m gonna be detailing my dark red honda ridgeline this weekend. After the normal wash dry clay & AIO with PC should I just put SGx3 and top with a good carnuba? Then in springtime wash dry clay AIO and go with a glaze (RVM) then a good carnuba (Collinite 476) From what I have been reading the SG won`t work well with the glaze. Is the SG (Sealant Glaze) actually a glaze or just an acrylic sealant.

justin30513
11-19-2006, 11:04 AM
476 would be my pick as a topper for winter as well. Two coats. I just love Collinites lineup.

imported_GregCavi
11-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I used to go with carnauba in the spring and summer, and sealants in the fall and winter; however, since I have fallen in love with zaino, It gets used regardless of the season because of its looks and killer durability.

Greg

a.k.a. Patrick
11-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I would think all you should be concerned about in the winter (If you live in a harsh environment area) is protection from the elements. Come springtime, go back to Autopian rituals. As for the AIO, then a glaze (VM/RMG), chances are, the petroleum in either of those products will compromise AIO protection. SG doesn not sit well on top of too many things either. It really prefers a sterile surface.

Accumulator
11-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Michael Hughes- The KSG is a sealant, that "glaze" in the name can be misleading. It`s best (IMO) to always apply KSG directly over AIO, the two products work great together. Applying KSG (and/or similar products) over other stuff can be problematic as KSG doesn`t bond to just anything the way a wax will.

I dunno just what to tell you on your choice of LSP. I have one vehicle with KSG on it and another with 476S on it. I don`t top my KSG as I like to add more from time to time. Both vehicles will get through the winter just fine, so either product will work OK by itself or with the 476S applied last.

These days my winter protection isn`t any different from my summer routine. I tried to replace the #16 on my wife`s A8 with 476S, but she noticed that it didn`t look quite as nice "what did you change on my car?" :o so now I just use the same stuff on everything year-round.