PDA

View Full Version : 303 Protectant for coated leather

emaxxman
11-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Can I apply 303 on coated leather? I currently use Meg`s and Lexol. Lexol doesn`t mention how much UV it has. Meg`s doesn`t either but comments on their board doesn`t make it seem like it`s a huge amount either.

Since the coating is probably just some sort of vinyl, can I use 303 protectant right on the coated leather?

This is for Honda leather.

Statman
11-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Yes you can.

shortspark
11-19-2006, 04:14 PM
If Megs is like Lexol you won`t have any UV protection. These are conditioners that are meant to "feed" leather, make it soft, last a long time and smell good. Their purpose is not UV. Protectant 303 has perhaps the most UV protection you can find for your car`s interior, including leather. This is very important to me here in Texas.

In fact, many people believe as I do that 303 is better than any leather conditioner for coated seats. The reason is that conditioners such as Leatherique and Lexol, good as they may be, are made for natural leather. Some Euros and perhaps some high end US autos may have this kind of leather but most American cars on the road today have coated or "treated" leather.

By the very nature of this coating, it will resist absorbtion - that is why it is there and the better it resists anything from getting down to the leather the better it is working. Some of your product may get through but most conditioners will not be able to be absorbed by the leather to do their job very well of "feeding" the leather, thereby conditioning it.

The bottom line is that coated seats need the kind of protection 303 provides far more than they need a leather conditioner per se. At least not until the coating itself wears down.

PS-I see you have a Honda. I use it on my 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I have done so since May`05 when I bought it and the seats still look and feel great - AND no sun fade whatsoever. If your Honda has the perforated seats, you might try getting a microfiber mit and spray the 303 on it rather than directly on the surface. Do the front seats and buff them down with the other side of the micro mit before you go to the rear seats.