PDA

View Full Version : My New Toy I Guess

Wasatch
11-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Picked these up yesterday. What do ya think? I`m feeling kinda stupid for spending this kind of money on a pair of sunglasses, but they are really cool looking and very durable. Bought especially for the snowshoeing I do. They have lots of cool features also. I got the Matte Black Frame with 3FX Polar Gray lenses.

Rudy Project North America - Kerosene (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/kerosene.htm)

velobard
11-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I usually buy cheapo polarized sunglasses wherever I can find em. Until 6 months ago I lived within range of the Bass Pro home store with the clearance outlet next door, so it was easy to find polarized glasses for under $10, I haven`t had to buy any since then. I do have one pair of Smith Diablo sliders with 3 sets of lenses, but I sure didn`t pay the over $100 MSRP. What I really don`t care for about them is that they, like so many of the other "designer" sunglasses don`t have polarization. That`s a biggie in my book and I won`t do without it again, it just makes too mig of a difference to me. I`ve heard good things about the Rudy`s, but I`d have to pick a pair with full frames for more protection for the mountain biking I do.

I notice that the lenses you picked have a "hydrophobic coating". Does that mean we should all be out seeing what wax beads best on our sunglasses, or should we skip that and go for a sheeting effect? :spot

BlackElantraGT
11-18-2006, 12:51 PM
I think they look really nice. I like that style.

Personally, I just buy cheapo polarized sunglasses from walmart now. They have a wide enough selection for me to find something I like. None have ever cost more than $15. Expensive sunglasses never lasted very long for me because eventually I sat on them, dropped them, lost them, etc. and I couldn`t afford shelling out $150 or more every time that happened.

I also only buy polarized sunglasses now. They make such a huge difference in the amount of glare that comes into your eyes.

J.J.
11-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I think they look really nice. I like that style.

Personally, I just buy cheapo polarized sunglasses from walmart now. They have a wide enough selection for me to find something I like. None have ever cost more than $15.

+1

I usually buy the OP sunglasses. I can usually find a pair I like for $10.

JJ

Wasatch
11-18-2006, 03:23 PM
I usually buy cheapo polarized sunglasses wherever I can find em. Until 6 months ago I lived within range of the Bass Pro home store with the clearance outlet next door, so it was easy to find polarized glasses for under $10, I haven`t had to buy any since then. I do have one pair of Smith Diablo sliders with 3 sets of lenses, but I sure didn`t pay the over $100 MSRP. What I really don`t care for about them is that they, like so many of the other "designer" sunglasses don`t have polarization. That`s a biggie in my book and I won`t do without it again, it just makes too mig of a difference to me. I`ve heard good things about the Rudy`s, but I`d have to pick a pair with full frames for more protection for the mountain biking I do.

I notice that the lenses you picked have a "hydrophobic coating". Does that mean we should all be out seeing what wax beads best on our sunglasses, or should we skip that and go for a sheeting effect? :spot

****, I have not had a chance to wear them yet, not sure if they bead or sheet, LOL I`m sure Rudy has a nice pair for mountain biking.

Wasatch
11-18-2006, 03:27 PM
These are Polarized if I did not mention that. Those frames should not break that easily, also I have a very nice replacement warranty for the lenses. Also, these lenses can be swaped out for different light conditions and RX can be clipped in and also laser cut RX can be had for a nice price though. They are very versatile.

Wasatch
11-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I have a couple of pair of polarized glasses my doctor gave me, nice, but I`m betting these will be better. They scratch really easy (cheap pair), hopefully the Rudy`s do not, but if they do I just send them in and get a new lens.

velobard
11-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I looked at the lens you mentioned and noticed that it`s polarized. Here`s the page with the info on the hydrophobic coating on the lens: Rudy Project North America - Lens Technology (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/technology/lenstechnology.htm)

Just scroll down to the first image on the page.

I have seen Rudy`s for sale in a few bike shops, but I`ve never bought them. The main advantage for me to have the more expensive glasses is they have the special rubberized material on the nose and temples to help them keep from sliding when you sweat. The cheap glasses always fall short in that area.

I say I need more protection for biking, but the truth of it is if I crash badly enough or have something hit my face hard enough to break the Rudy`s you picked, the glasses will be the least of my problems. I had one crash a few years ago where I played Superman for several yards and landed flat on my chest hard enough to take a chip out of my sternum and crush my heart rate transmitter on my chest strap. Luckily, my face survived that one without any major damage, lol. I also had an incident when I was on a trail demo ride last Saturday where I destroyed the frame on a $2800 bike, but they can`t blame that one on me, I simply wasn`t doing anything that radical. Either it the shock didn`t have enough pressure, it blew a seal, or the frame had a defect.

Enjoy your glasses and don`t lose em!!!

firegate
11-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Good sunglasses are a great investment if they`re built well. I paid $400 for a pair of Oakley 24k`s in 2000 and have basically worn them every day since then - they still look great. I had to have the lenses replaced a year ago (for about $50 at an oakley store), but that was only due to me dropping them a lot more often as of late. All things considered, it turned out being a lot cheaper than getting a new pair of cheapies every few months.