PDA

View Full Version : Which OTC wheel cleaners are non-acidic?

emaxxman
11-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Like the title says, which OTC wheel cleaners are non-acidic? More to the point, which ones would be safe to use on a fairly regular basis?

Meg`s Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner is definitely acidic...the fumes have actually caused a slight burning smell in my nose.

EO Tire and Wheel cleaner didn`t have the same odor but I don`t know if it`s acidic.

Even though it`s not OTC, how is a product like Poorboy`s Wheel Cleaner (citrus based) different from acid based cleaners? Doesn`t citrus based imply citric acid?

tom p.
11-17-2006, 09:12 PM
How `bout P21S or Griot`s?

paul34
11-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I beleve the DP wheel cleaning gel (sorry don`t know the exact name) is non-acidic and is actually even environmentally friendly to boot

My EO Tire/Wheel cleaner has a definite caustic smell to it... may I suggest simply using what product you have, getting the tires and wheels very clean, then just sealing the wheels? That way, you won`t have to pull out the dedicated wheel cleaners nearly as a often - just a weekly going over with your regular car wash shampoo (with a separate bucket and brush, of course) should be enough to keep it up. Then maybe once a month repeat the whole super cleaning ritual and reseal.

imported_hadboosttroy
11-18-2006, 08:05 PM
+1 for DP gel, but you can`t get it OTC

emaxxman
11-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I beleve the DP wheel cleaning gel (sorry don`t know the exact name) is non-acidic and is actually even environmentally friendly to boot

My EO Tire/Wheel cleaner has a definite caustic smell to it... may I suggest simply using what product you have, getting the tires and wheels very clean, then just sealing the wheels? That way, you won`t have to pull out the dedicated wheel cleaners nearly as a often - just a weekly going over with your regular car wash shampoo (with a separate bucket and brush, of course) should be enough to keep it up. Then maybe once a month repeat the whole super cleaning ritual and reseal.

That is the exact routine that I use. I sealed my wheels recently and simply use a diluted solution of Meg`s Gold Class inside a spray bottle. I then give it quick brush down with Meg`s spoke and wheel face brushes.

I also love the Eagle One tire and wheel cleaner. It is amazing stuff. I just wanted a good wheel cleaner that wasn`t so harsh.

BigAl3
11-23-2006, 06:46 PM
EO Tire and Wheel cleaner didn`t have the same odor but I don`t know if it`s acidic.

taken from the website.....

New and improved formula with clinging suds for better cleaning.

Spray on, hose off

Safely removes brake dust from both wheels and tires

Acid free

Wheel manufacturer recommended

Clean your wheels and tires in one simple step. Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner has a new improved formula with clinging suds for a longer lasting, deeper clean. Just spray on and watch the thick suds remove dirt and grime, and hose off; it’s that easy. In just one simple step, your wheels and tires will be free of brake dust, dirt and grime.

Nothing complements a beautiful detailing job better than sparkling wheels and clean tires. Try All Wheel & Tire Cleaner and let the good times roll!

All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is safe for all types of metal hubcaps and steel or aluminum alloy wheels. Safe finishes include: anodized, clear coated, factory painted and chrome.

WARNING: DO NOT USE ON NON-FACTORY PAINTED WHEELS, MOTORCYCLE WHEELS, AND SOME ANODIZED WHEELS.

KC_MPWR
11-24-2006, 02:28 PM
i really like p21s but i don`t think its otc.

chowfun
12-11-2006, 09:17 PM
taken from the website.....

WARNING: DO NOT USE ON NON-FACTORY PAINTED WHEELS, MOTORCYCLE WHEELS, AND SOME ANODIZED WHEELS.

Ok.. I have aftermarket rims, they are painted wheels and made in Japan, but not "FACTORY PAINTED WHEELS". Is EO A2Z still safe to use? I`m also considering the DP Wheel Glaze, as the front wheels collect a tremendous amount of brake dust :secret

(not my car)

http://lvs4.com/gallery/d/2459-1/CIMG0903.jpg

96snake
12-12-2006, 12:08 AM
I would not use any wheel cleaner. Your favorite car wash soap diluted with water in a spray bottle or APC diluted 10:1 with water would be better imo.

Lorne

tyoung
12-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I bought F21 by the dreaded Turtle Wax, that says non-acidic. It smells weird, but not the chemical burning like some describe with the other cleaners. Doesn`t seem to stain the ground either.