PDA

View Full Version : Fill in my Christmas List!

DinosGSR
11-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I`m looking to purchase a MKIV Supra next year, and I know I will do some work on it, so before Christmas hits, I want to find out what tools I should own to work on one.

Here`s what I have:

Basic metric 3/8ths socket set

Wire cutters

Pliers and needle nose

Hammers

Screwdrivers

Here`s what`s on my list so far:

butane soldering iron

socket wrench extensions

deep sockets

jack and jack stands

4-way lug wrench

Mechanix gloves (2 or 3 pairs)

safety glasses

padded wheelie thing to get under the car (can`t for the life of me think of its name)

Help me fill in what else I need! I`m taking some car repair classes this winter to get myself primed. Thanks!

deadlock32
11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
padded wheelie thing to get under the car (can`t for the life of me think of its name)

`tis a creeper

If you goto Home Depot, look at the ratches, there is one awesome ratched that works by twisting the handle... it wont replace a nice normal ratched, but man does that thing come in handy.

BigJimZ28
11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
shop manual for your car

Eliot Ness
11-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I didn`t notice a good set of wrenches on your list yet. A set of Gear Wrenches (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A553406%2Cp_4%3AGearWrench&page=1) (ratcheting) are also very handy to have around..... but they won`t replace having a good set of basic box/open end wrenches (I personally prefer a 6 point set (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00947236000&cat=Hand+Tools,+General+Purpose&subcat=Wrenches&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1)).

A good torque wrench (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00944596000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Torque+Wrenches&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1) (3/8" and/or 1/2" drive) will eventually be needed, even if it is only used to re-torque lug nuts when putting your wheels back on.

A set of Channel Locks (http://store.sevensaturdays.com/chanlocpiecp.html) and Crescent wrenches also come to mind.

You`ll also need to start thinking about a good tool chest.

I`m sure others will chime in with other ideas, but if you go somewhere like the tool dept. at Sears and just walk around you`ll get plenty of other ideas.

DinosGSR
11-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the tips, I`m making up a list now, here`s what else I`ve added from other folks giving me ideas:

torque wrench

pry bar / breaker bar

flex head gear wrenches

lighting equipment

"Bone Creeper" ( I hear it`s a lot better than others )

magnet pickup tool/dish

mechanics mirror

channel locks

crescent wrenches

Maybe some tubes of silicone/anti-seize stuff? Lemme know what I would need

:)

JohnZ3MC
11-18-2006, 08:18 PM
rechargeable led shop light is very handy and safe.

BigJimZ28
11-18-2006, 08:39 PM
pry bar / breaker bar

two different tools:

a breaker bar has a drive head(for use with sockets) on the end and is usually longer than

a standard ratchet for added leverage

pry bar well thats a pry bar!

Titania
11-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Having completely disassembled and re-assembled a car myself (including rebuilding an engine), I think I can offer some advise.

You`ll need a 3/4" ratchet for breaking loose suspension components. An impact wrench would be even better. For many things a 3/8" drive just isn`t going to cut it, especially if there`s rust involved.

Yes, you definitely need anti-sieze. Just about every bolt you put back in the car should be anti-siezed.

A really nice wire stripper/cutter.

Dead blow hammer - usually plastic and filled with steel shot. You use this in areas you can`t risk damaging with a steel hammer.

Fender cover

Bolt-out - when you`re at your wits end due to snapping off a bolt or rounding over a nut beyond hope, these will save your butt. WONDERFUL tool! Craftsman 52166 10 pc. Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set, Low Profile Bolt-Out at Sears.com (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00952166000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Taps+%26+Dies&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

If you plan on doing brakes, you`ll need some standard C-clamps. Brake bleeder kits also come in handy.

Most of the speciality tools you`ll need for suspension/engine work...pulley pullers, tie-rod tools, ball joint breakers, strut/spring compressors etc can be rented from most auto parts places.

A big vise also really comes in handy for pressing out bearings, etc.

Hope that helps! :)

BigJimZ28
11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
You`ll need a 3/4" ratchet

wow that a big ratchet!

I don`t even use my 1/2" much because I was alway breaking stuff with it: nuts, bolts even cracked a few craftsman sockets with it.

Titania
11-21-2006, 08:13 AM
wow that a big ratchet!

I don`t even use my 1/2" much because I was alway breaking stuff with it: nuts, bolts even cracked a few craftsman sockets with it.

No doubt you have to be careful with it. But, my 1/2" just wouldn`t cut it when it came to suspension work, especially when I was up at the upper end of the socket range for the 1/2". If the car is in a rust-free state, then a 3/4" probably isn`t necessary. Mine wasn`t. :hairpull

I`ve found where you can easily get into trouble is with breaker bars. Snapped off a few suspension bolts, but that wasn`t a big deal since they were so rusty that only about half of the bolt was even still there. I`ve never cracked a socket before.