PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac CTS-V Paint Question

D Tailor
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I`ve been detailing for many years and two days ago I did my first Cadillac. It was a 2005 CTS-V. It only had 8K on the clock and, being silver, I washed, clayed, and then did a pass with FPII before finishing with sealant (PB EX-P) and followed by PB- EX. Here`s my question: Does anyone else find Cadillac Paint (on newer models) does not stay mirror slick?

After polishing it was squeaky clean as I expected, but as I continued to work, the finish felt less smooth. To the point that I did half of the car and then did the "back hand test" for smoothness and compared it to the other side feeling little difference. I know I broke down the polish and applied the Finishing products properly. But After two coats of sealant I typically experience slickness beyond slick. Not so slick with the CTS-V. I am just wondering if this is typical or just me. I also migh mention that it was humid and chilly outside (not cold, but in the 50`s and it had rained ealier in the day). Any thoughts?

imported_topnotch
11-16-2006, 10:19 AM
I think it really has to do with the humidity outside and not the paint itself. I have seem diminished slickness when working in high humidity. This has to do with the sealany curing slowly.

Djmigs
11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
so the process you mentioned when done with other vehicle was not the same as far as slickness...

did you ensure the sealant cured?

also did you check the following day if any changes?

also what method was used to apply the products?

although this might not be helpful i would try the Z line and you can visually see there results and the feel (slickness)

i would apply a spray wax of your choice on top of what your current method is to see if it helps with a stubborn vehicle like the cts you detailed(just use the spray wax on vehicle like this not one everyone unless you see a better diff)

greg

cadillac STS (http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/78757-cadillac-sts-zainod.html?highlight=cadillac)

John

cadillac Sts (http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/77229-sts-vs-zaino-weekend-clean-up.html#post779874)

D Tailor
11-16-2006, 12:13 PM
so the process you mentioned when done with other vehicle was not the same as far as slickness

That`s correct. I`ve performed this same process countless times and this was the first time I encountered this

did you ensure the selant cured also did you check the following day if any changes also was pc used on all steps?

I used a rotary with a White LC pad at 1100rpm for the FPII and a PC with a Blue LC finessing pad on 1 to apply the LSP`s. I let the LSP`s set for about 35 minutes each and they came off easily so I figure they were cured. I did not check the following day because it was a client`s car and it had been delivered already. But now that I am thinking about it, sometimes (i Guess especially considering the humidity) sealants feel much slicker the next day (i find that at least with products like Zaino).

also what comes to mind are these fellas maybe they will chime in or you can see what they use, maybe your searching for this,as far as looks and the feel(slick) is there, i detailed cts but i have encountered this problem

I don`t understand this part of your reply, but thanks for the links! :up

Djmigs
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
sorry about that...

i was multi tasking at that moment...

edited my previous post...

by the way maybe greg or john or any fellow autopia member who have detailed a cadillac maybe able to chime in and see if they had any problems like this

ive detaile a cts but everything went as planned.....