PDA

View Full Version : I have got to get the swirls out of my running boards.

GlossyTundra
11-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I think they are polished stainless steel. They are a real eyesore. Nothing like having freshly polished everything, and then the running boards look like someone took a Brillo pad to them.

I have tried the rotary and HT EC on a orange pad, got better, but still no removal. Is there anyway to polish out metal like paint? If not I will probably take them off.

the other pc
11-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Polishing anything is always s the same. You start with a cutting product/applicator/process that is strong enough to remove the defect and if that process leaves it’s own smaller defects you step down to a product/applicator/process that will remove them. Then you keep doing those steps until any defects from the last process are invisible.

Even though the concept is always the same the actual products/applicators/processes you use depend on what you’re polishing.

You tried to use paint polishing products to polish stainless steel. That’s sort of like trying to use the same truck you use to tow a bass fishing boat to tow an aircraft carrier. Right idea, wrong products/applicators/processes.

If you want to polish metals you can get the stuff you need from metalworking/machine shop suppliers, industrial suppliers and restoration suppliers like Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodco.com/).

PC.