PDA

View Full Version : Can IPA harm brand-new repaint?

velobard
11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Perhaps I`m just being paranoid, but I want to be sure that doing a wipedown with isopropyl alcohol won`t harm paint that`s just a day or two old. The only thing I can imagine is if it somehow interferred with the natural curing process. I want to use it to take the glaze off part of the car when I go to inspect it at the body shop when I pick it up. I originally asked for no glaze, but no big surprise, they did it anyway.

If anyone has another suggestion on something to use, I`m all ears.

fdizzle
11-15-2006, 03:16 PM
i wish i had an answer for you . . . i deal with one customer who frequntly sells used cars, and always brings me cars to prep that have fresh paint on bumpers or the hood..... I bought a hi temp product specifically for that purpose, since i cannot get to agressive with polishes or put an LSP on it.

New Paint Polish (http://www.topoftheline.com/new-paint-polish.html)

i know most stripping products are ok for cured paint . . .not sure about the IPA mix . . . I would sure like to hear some comments reguarding this . . .

Accumulator
11-16-2006, 12:55 PM
If they`ve already glazed it I bet it`s more than a day or two old. Often the clear won`t be hard enough to do *anything* with for a few days. I don`t see how the IPA could hurt anything.

OK, just got off the phone with my painter- he says it`s safe to do, just be gentle about it as the fresh paint will still be kinda soft.

velobard
11-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Cool, thanks! The only risk I could think of is if it would have enough of a drying effect that it might have some kind of adverse effect on the curing process.

I got my car back yesterday after 24 days in the shop. There always seemed to be another thing to delay it, but I had a decent rental that was paid for so I was patient. Not an absolute perfect job, but much, much better than my last time around. It is going back in for a day next week to touch up 2 small spots on the front bumper where the coverage isn`t quite enough, but other than that the only thing I`ve found so far is one or two small chips that were painted over.

I requested that this time they use Sikkens instead of their standard PPG and at least to me, it looks richer and deeper. I spoke with the painter today and he claimed to have put several layers each of paint and clear on it. I did wash and clay off the glaze on most of the hood and trunk today and found rotary swirls, but much less than I really expected. I`ll tackle it with some Megs #80 this weekend and my PC to see if I can get it in better shape.

I am a bit worried about having it painted this late in the year. I find it interesting that the info from mirrifinishman Sikkens claims it`s safe to wax after 30 days, but I`ve read elsewhere that Sikkens CC is slower to cure. I plan on sticking with a 90 day wait, but if it looks like we`re going to have salt on the roads or anything of that nature I`ll hit it with a couple coats of FK1 2180, which they claim is safe almost right away. That`s the best compromise I can think of to give the paint a decent level of protection while allowing the paint to outgas.

Oh, and in case anyone thinks my bad luck is just with cars (I`ve posted before how this is the 3rd time it`s been painted this year), last Saturday I went on a demo ride on a mountain bike at a local trail and wound up destroying the frame on a $2800 full-suspension bike. Fortunately, it it wasn`t my fault and I had witnesses, so I don`t have to take the financial hit for that one. Either they didn`t have the rear shock set up right or there was a defect in the frame.

Accumulator
11-17-2006, 12:39 PM
velobard- Maybe you`ve used up all your bad luck and you`ll start having more *good* luck :D

I too hate getting work done right before winter, but sometimes it just works out that way.

Be careful with the #80, it`s been too (initially) aggressive for some pretty-fresh repaints. Better to live with (and maybe hide) the marring than to instill even more, so try a small area and see how it goes. The fresh paint on the Jag is still so soft (after a few weeks) that even FPII is too much for it at present.