PDA

View Full Version : Keep detail products from freezing?

325iSBimmer
11-14-2006, 09:51 PM
I have all my detailing "stuff" in the garage. Problem is I live where the temp drops below 0 C for the better part of 3 months. I`ve notcied some of my products have separated during the winter months but from what i remember, giving them a good shake in the spring seemed to do the trick.

Should I be bringing some of these products inside to keep from the below 0 temps?

mikebai1990
11-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Some detailing products will, to quote a fellow autopian, "never be the same" when frozen in the winter. If you can, try to put the detailing products in a climate where the temperature isn`t too low where it freezes.

fdizzle
11-15-2006, 02:23 AM
agreed. i keep mine between 65 and 75 degrees . . . but iv got an insulated garage . . . i guess it all depends what kind of conditions your in . . .

Dan
11-15-2006, 07:44 AM
You definately need to bring them in. I`ve learned the hard way...several times...lol.

coupe
11-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Dont risk it, just bring them inside for winter.

Hey, Moe!
11-15-2006, 07:58 AM
My rule of thumb is this. Whenever I need to shut off my outside water faucet from the inside due to below freezing temps, then it is time to make sure that the supplies come inside. I hung a couple of shelves from the wall of the stairway leading to the basement, and I am good to go, though I probably don`t have the "stash" that many Autopians do.

imported_Tex Star Detail
11-15-2006, 09:26 AM
stick a small heater on your garage next to your stuff. Something that won`t put off a ton of heat directed at the product though......

One of those "radiator" type heaters maybe

coupe
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
stick a small heater on your garage next to your stuff. Something that won`t put off a ton of heat directed at the product though......

One of those "radiator" type heaters maybe

That would cost big $$$$$

imported_Tex Star Detail
11-15-2006, 04:09 PM
That would cost big $$$$$

What would? Buying one or using one?

Glossmaster
11-15-2006, 04:27 PM
I suggest you bring your detailing "stash" inside & keep them at a constant room temperature for best results. Bare in mind that this advise comes from a man who keeps his arsenal on a massive shelving system in my master bedroom. (lol)

mikebai1990
11-15-2006, 04:37 PM
What would? Buying one or using one?

Using one. Those things burn 1500 watts per hour. Why don`t you just take it inside and heat it up in your basement or something?

325iSBimmer
11-15-2006, 05:52 PM
thanks guys

I`ll be bringing all the stuff inside

Brad B
11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Bring in your waxes and products like QD with wax in them. Most polishes and abrasives should be brought in. You don`t want aerosol products (paint, etc) to freeze, either. Most solvents are ok in the cold.

A heated garage is a luxury (I love mine) but not always feasible or cost effective.

When not in the garage I just keep the thermostat at 50 degrees so it never gets colder than that.

imported_Tex Star Detail
11-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Using one. Those things burn 1500 watts per hour. Why don`t you just take it inside and heat it up in your basement or something?

Yea...just seen that they use a ton of wattage....never used one before. Was just suggestion it. I keep mine in my trailer or ina spare room. Depending on how hot or cold outside...