PDA

View Full Version : Warm water for the winter = ]

Pages : [1] 2

deadlock32
11-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Not everybody may have the ability to get warm water from the house easilly, or detailing a clients car and not want to burden them with taking you `dirty` bucket into their house if for some warm water.

Searching around I found a bunch of pet and animal related products. Interestingly enough I found this guy:

Bucket Heater (http://www.alliedprecision.com/bucketheater.html)

PBS animal health says: Designed to heat water to the boiling point, not to de-ice water. Heats 1 gallon water from 60-130 º in about 10 minutes. Waterproof wiring box is designed to be leak-free. Automatically shuts itself off if water drops below 5-1/2" level. Unit will then "cycle" on and off until water level is increased or heater is unplugged. Safe for use in non-metallic and metallic containers. 1000 Watts.

The 1000 watts power usage + the high temps kinda seem goofy to me, but at around 35 dollars, it would seems like a nice investment. Just pull the unit out of one bucket once the water feels warm, and put it in another. (water at 40*F to get it to 60*f should take like 5 min)

Anybody have any other ideas, or use another way to get warm water for those cold winter details?

Heikes
11-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Buy it and let us know how it works. One question, why the hell would you give your pet water at 130 degrees ?!

Mobilejay
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
that actually sounds kinda nice. here in houston it doesnt get to 0 degrees or anything but it still gets cold for us. putting one of those in my tank for mobile sounds like it would be worth it.

PhaRO
11-14-2006, 08:27 PM
I`ve toy`d with this idea for over a year but haven`t taken the time to try it out. I was going to put a small copper tubing coil in front of my generator exhaust. While I vacuum have the water in bucket pump through the coil and warm up some. Not expecting miracles but anything is a help in the winter mornings. Another consideration would be a small propane grill or stove thing, put a pot on there to boil. I carry a steamer too and wonder how much injecting the steam into the water would help. Probably not much :(

PhaRO
11-14-2006, 08:32 PM
I noticed those bucket heaters on petsmart website. Cheaper other places but might see if the local store has one.

White95Max
11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
I`ve come to accept the idea that it`s just too cold to detail around here in the winter without a heated shop. Being in Naperville, it`s milder than here, but still too cold IMO. If detailing is your main source of income it`s one thing. For me it`s not, so I just politely tell people that it`s too cold and detailing becomes too much of a hassle. During the warmer months, it`s enjoyable. During the winter, it becomes "work".

thesacrifice
11-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I fill my buckets with hot water straight from the bath tub, stays a comfortable temperature while I wash (carport)

captkirk2
11-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice find. I have thought about something like that for a while.

deadlock32
11-14-2006, 09:21 PM
During the winter, it becomes "work".

Not as much work as Retail... = ]

Im justa college kid, any income is good income = ]

ya know what i just noticed... the maker is 30 miles from my house... maybe i`ll give them a call and see if I can get a hold of one to review.

lemans23
11-14-2006, 09:40 PM
I know a guy who runs a line array (a speaker configuration consisting of many drivers per speaker, sometimes upwards of 30 a side), and for his amplifiers, he runs a coolant system through a coil from a generator and into a bucket filled with water. That **** gets so hot that when he`s fully cranking his music, the water will actually become very warm. It`s the same basic idea as that link.

BlueLibby04
11-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Farm Innovators Submersible Bucket Heater, 1000 Watts at BestNest.com (http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=FI-W-449&src=froogle&kw=FI-W-449)

01bluecls
11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I would want something that can keep the water around 65 degrees and hold at least 5 gallons. But im guessing that would be pretty expensive!

deadlock32
11-14-2006, 11:18 PM
ummm you can use this in your current bucket of water! = ] (plastic or metal)

BlueLibby04
11-15-2006, 12:52 AM
I would want something that can keep the water around 65 degrees and hold at least 5 gallons. But im guessing that would be pretty expensive!

Uhh?? Did you see my post? Buy a 5 gallon bucket, then buy that heater.. :hm

01bluecls
11-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Uhh?? Did you see my post? Buy a 5 gallon bucket, then buy that heater.. :hm

oh haha....never clicked on the link. Looks like an interesting tool. That with a propane heater in the garage = detailing during the winter.